Lens change bag

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I asked this once before a few years back but never really found anything. I am after a smaller bag to go with my present bag so I can temporary store lenses when changing or to hold for a short while without having to put them back into my main bag or put them down somewhere.

I have seen something that I like

HERE

But I don't want to be paying over £100 for a simple bag like that

Any ideas suggestions.... my wife suggested making me one which I might just take her up on but thought I would ask first

LowePro makes a little bag called the lens exchange 200 which is a pretty cool concept.

I tend to just use whatever bag I'm carrying... if it's not holding other lenses I'm probably not carrying one.

Thanks you both that Lowepro Lens Exchange Case 200 AW looks good but crikey still pretty expensive considering what it is. I reckon £25 would be enough for that

:agree: try one and did get on with it,if you watch the video there to much messing around especially if your working :rolleyes:

do you really need one?

Well at the moment my bag which is excellent I have three slots for lenses (when camera is out) and they all have lenses in them ( some have two) so when swapping a lens I sometimes have to either juggle both lenses, Put one on the ground or hand one to my wife. But my wife is not always at hand as she may be sorting a brides dress or arranging groups etc

So I thought if there was another area I could use to temp store a lens while I swap over it would be much easier and quicker and as you know in weddings you don't want to be messing around and loosing the shot.

:agree: try one and did get on with it,if you watch the video there to much messing around especially if your working :rolleyes:

Did you have one of these bags ?

Why is it messing around, this looks a lot easier and quicker than juggling two lenses in my hand or putting one down and swapping etc. But of course if you had one maybe I missed something I would appreciate your input before I buy one

The only downside I can see is having another bag to carry around

Hi John, I've never thought of one as I usually put any lens that I have taken off back in the bag that I am carrying ……….. but it does seem to be a good idea to have such a bag in the bag that I am carrying

Maybe I should not have so many lenses :rolleyes: that would be easier

Yeah I carry a side bag which has all my lenses in but I wanted this to really just add to it (but probably on other side) to swap the lens with

When i was working,big open bag lens in,no caps,and just grab the lens from the bag as needed,i could change an lens in the blink of an eyes :)

When i was working,big open bag lens in,no caps,and just grab the lens from the bag as needed,i could change an lens in the blink of an eyes :)

Yeah exactly the same here.... :agree:

but once you run out of space you have problems unless I just clatter the lens on top of each other and I don't want to do that

Well at the moment my bag which is excellent I have three slots for lenses (when camera is out) and they all have lenses in them ( some have two) so when swapping a lens I sometimes have to either juggle both lenses, Put one on the ground or hand one to my wife. But my wife is not always at hand as she may be sorting a brides dress or arranging groups etc
Just let the body hang and do a two handed lens exchange. It's slower, but so is that case logic bag.

Do you think the case logic looks slow to use.... ? Why do you say that it looks a quick way to me but I haven't tried it. I know Matt Granger really loves his lowpro one which is basically the same as this in the video posted earlier in this thread

To be honest I don't want to add another bag so I think I will either make do and move stuff around or get another bag like my Tamrac Velocity which is superb

Last edited:
Do you think the case logic looks slow to use.... ?
Because you have to move/place the lens twice plus opening/closing (if you choose to secure it). That's what makes "drop in" bags so much quicker (I normally use a Think Tank Speed Racer).

But, to do lens changes fast w/o an open pocket you have to learn how to hold two lenses simultaneously while swapping one out. One way is to hold the replacement lens in your left hand while using that hand to push the lens release button (works w/ a strap). Another way is to hold one in the crook of your arm during the exchange (the method I use because I don't use a strap most of the time).
Video by Jasmine Star

Yeah I actually do swap like that with a lens in my arm or sometimes under my armpit but it never feels safe.

Anyway I am going to move my bag around and re-organize as I don't want another bag. I did look at the next size Tarmac up from mine but its like a few Cm difference in size so hardly worth it

So is it OK to keep lenses in bags with no caps? I use a Lowe pro flip side 400 and its really easy because its like a little table. What takes the time is the damn caps. All my lenese are in their own compartment.

Hmm, been changing lenses for 35 years on the hoof, really can't see the need for this. I either work out of my bag or use pockets. A Photographic vest can be really useful. A second body with a different focal length is my preferred option when time is critical.

So is it OK to keep lenses in bags with no caps? I use a Lowe pro flip side 400 and its really easy because its like a little table. What takes the time is the damn caps. All my lenese are in their own compartment.

I keep the caps on when not working but on the morning I remove all caps so the lenses are ready to use with no fiddling

Hmm, been changing lenses for 35 years on the hoof, really can't see the need for this. I either work out of my bag or use pockets. A Photographic vest can be really useful. A second body with a different focal length is my preferred option when time is critical.

Yeah I suppose I can work as I have done it was just a thought to give me a third hand so to speak......... I am not going to bother with the change bag, I have just re-sorted my bag

I use the lens exchange 200. You don't have mess about moving lenses around, like you do with the case logic. It also has a belt loop for ease of carrying.

From what I saw the Lens exchange works the same was as the caselogic .... unless I missed something :thinking:

You still put one in and take the other out don't you.... ?

I think on both models you could leave a lens in the front pocket rather than swap it into the back pocket as it would just fold in as long as another lens was not in the other pocket. I think they just showed it being swapped back that way in the video

Last edited:
The lens exchange works like, take lens off, put in front section fit other lens zip closed.

The case logic appears to be, open, flip lid over, put lens in lid, fit other lens, transfer lens from lid, and close. Seems more steps to me.

Isn't the front pocket the underside of the lid?

Not really. I have a Lowepro Lens Exchange (and like it, too) and I'm happy to leave lenses in there without caps while I'm working because I know it's clean and there's always a lens hood fitted to protect the front.

But I'd never leave them without caps in my main bag. There's a lot of relatively delicate parts around the lens mount that can get damaged, or contacts to get dirty. Then any crud on the back of the lens goes straight into the mirror box next time you fit the lens.

Last edited:
The lens exchange works like, take lens off, put in front section fit other lens zip closed.

The case logic appears to be, open, flip lid over, put lens in lid, fit other lens, transfer lens from lid, and close. Seems more steps to me.

Isn't the front pocket the underside of the lid?

Yeah I think the front pocket is the underside of the lid.

But on the case logic I don't think there are that many steps..... it just opens differently.

You open it put the lens in the front and take the one out the back. Now at that point on the video he changes that lens to the back as yes that is the lid so yes there is one extra step

But no big deal I think especially as they are a lot cheaper than the Lowpro (around £30 instead of nearly £50) the smaller one also has a belt loop thingy

Last edited:
Back