Lens cleaning - what do you use?

rocket blower to get off anything potentially abrasive and then i use lens tissues and solution - single use, clean one everytime.

A blower and then a lens pen if there's still anything there.
If there's anything really stubborn I'll use a very slightly damp cloth.

Lenspen or for anything more stubborn a squirt of this http://www.newprouk.co.uk/ROR-lens-cleaner.html on a lens cloth

Its my daughters and she got it for cleaning her sight trial lenses, works a treat and is kind on the lens coating

Last edited:
have a look at this stuff
im using it and its excellent
i was a bit sceptical at first but im well impressed
and i use it on tv and glasses as well

http://www.ror.net/

its about a fiver a small bottle but u dont need a lot

Must be good if we both recommended it :)

Must be good if we both recommended it :)

LOL didnt read your post properly , didnt see your link
i used to use sensor cleaning eclipse fluid. but it always streaked,
when i clean my glasses with ror its like i have no glasses on. its that clear

3M microfibre cloth and a blower (y)

For loose dust, the Arctic Butterfly.

Glass paper work wonders on the stubborn stuff. If it's too dry wet it with some diesel.

ok - lens cloth and rocket blower - shifts most of it.

Last edited:
Rocket blower & lens pen.

Or sometimes breath & t-shirt on the cheaper kit :naughty:

Brillo pad all day long, the pink powder brings them up a treat..............:)

Matt. said:
This is exactly what i do. I created the thread to see if anyone had a better idea :LOL:

I use a soft brush, rocket blower and spudz micro fibre cloth when I do a routine clean of my gear at home using lens cleaning solution, but in the field I just blow off dust and use my breath on the lens for a bit of moisture if there's a smudge and clean with my t-shirt, I avoid cleaning in the field but if I need to I just do that, not L glass but nikon equivalent.

If it's got actual dirt or salt on it (i take photos by the sea a lot), rocket blower first, then i use warm water applied with cotton buds just rolled over the surface (salt crystals feel nasty being rubbed over the glass with a cloth of any kind to me), then microfibre cloth to dry and get rid of smears.

If it's just grease smears from fingers etc on the lens or splashed water, just the rocket blower followed by microfibre cloth.

I've never found the need for cleaning fluid when water plus a really good microfibre cloth has gotten everything off for me, from salt to grease to cow saliva :LOL:

Blower and lens pen, with microfibre cloth and breath if necessary. I'm not too anal about cleaning lenses unless they really need it.

I have a can of compressed air, and also use the lens cleaning fluid from SpecSavers, at £2 a bottle it's not expensive and does a good job.

Steve

Back