Lens for 5d3

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
So decided on the mkiii, looking for opinions on whether to get the 24-105 f4, or maybe the tamron 24-70 f2.8.

Thanks in advance

Hard to answer without knowing what you intend to shoot. I had a 24-105 and sold it to get a 24-70, which I subsequently sold to get a 24-105. On full frame the 70 wasn't quite long enough for me, but it's all down to personal taste.

My husband and I have both these lenses which we share between our 6D and 5D mkiii. The obvious difference is that one has longer reach the other is faster so to some extent your decision should be largely influenced by those two factors. Both are excellent lenses and we interchange them between the bodies. Some people have the view that the 24-105 is a little soft - this may be the case with some copies of this lens but we have not experienced this. The Canon is probably better built (L lenses are renowned for their strong build) but I am not saying the Tamron is poorly built as it is anything but. Price wise you will pick the Canon up more cheaply whether you buy new or second user.

Which would we keep if forced to choose between them? It would be a very hard decision but probably the Tamron because it is faster, possibly that little bit sharper and we could compensate for the lack of reach by zooming in on the photos if we need to.

I hope this helps.

I too have had both, a few times, and if I was starting again I'd go for the 24-105.
It probably is a bit softer (IME) but I could only tell by really examining the images at 100% in Lightrom.
I agree with the others that 70mm can be a bit short if you are looking for a one lens solouiton. Yes, everyone is different so it's just an opinion, but considering I use a canon 24-70 MKII as my main lens I feel I can say this, as Ive been tempted to go back to the longer lens.
I do find cropping helps compensate though so it's not really an issue, but if you aren't one to mess about with images too much it's something to remember.
The copies of the Tamron I had were both faulty, but they were sharp. My mate has had one since they came out and he loves his, but it has it's IQ issues as well. In the real world there is nothing to complain about though.

The biggest issue I had with the Tameron's were the slow AF. Good enough most of the time but compared to the 24-105 the AF just couldn't keep up with AI servo. Shooting my son on his skateboard would produce a lot of out of focus shots. All my USM lenses had no issues. I also found AF could struggle a bit in low light.

Considering a secondhand 24-105 can be had for a lot less than the Tamron I'd go for that, you won't loose much if you decided to sell it. Even new it's cheaper than that Tamron.

Just my opinions though, I know lots of people will have others, but after two faulty copies of the Tamron I have no love for it, especially at the price it sells for.

Last edited:
Back