Lens for a 40d

Edit My Images
Yes
Just awaiting the arrival of hopefully a stand by body till I can afford something newer, and need some glass, was thinking canon 17-40! Never had an L lens before and as I'm starting over thought this would be a good match!
Only being used for weekends out and holidays family stuff!!
With my previous 60d I had tamrons 17-50 and also had canon 17-55 which were both spot on!
Is the red ring bravado???
My thoughts were cheap body good glass then try and take some decent photos!!

Just awaiting the arrival of hopefully a stand by body till I can afford something newer, and need some glass, was thinking canon 17-40! Never had an L lens before and as I'm starting over thought this would be a good match!
With my previous 60d I had tamrons 17-50 and also had canon 17-55 which were both spot on!
Both the lenses you've owned are a better bet on a crop camera.

The 17-40 is great for what it was designed for, and although it looks close in FL to a std lens on a crop, it isn't really suitable. Get the 17-55.

Either of those lenses will give you a bit more flexibility (zoom range) than the 17-40mm f4, plus an extra f-stop faster as well, although all 3 are decent lenses, depends what you want to pay.

15-85mm is a very good lens too. It's EF-s of course.

I presume you no longer have the 60D and lenses...

Did you find the 17-50/55 range of the lenses you had worked for you, the 40D is a crop sensor as is the 60D, so you'll get the same field of view etc.

I had for a long while on my 40D, the Canon 28-135IS and liked it, for me, it was a great focal length and I liked the range of zoom - (didn't need the wider angle (17-28mm range)) - it offered over the 17-50mm lenses. Also used the 24-105L, which was very nice to use...

Budget will probably be a deciding factor

I did get on with the 17-50 and 17-55 lenses the last lens I had was a sigma 30mm which I really enjoyed! I don't no much about the 28-135 is it any good?

I did get on with the 17-50 and 17-55 lenses the last lens I had was a sigma 30mm which I really enjoyed! I don't no much about the 28-135 is it any good?

So you don't have the lenses anymore ?

Why not buy the lenses you had previously tried ?

The 28-135IS lens is a good lens, it's an older lens now, so the IS is the older version, but the lens is still capable and I liked mine and as I said, for me the focal length was what I was after...

You need to decide on budget and what you want from the lens - what focal length do you want ? Do you want constant F2.8 or F4 etc ? Do you want the red ring ??? Etc etc

Thanks for input Andy I'm not fussed about the red ring! Plenty to think about!

Gosh... I love my 40D too and it has been my main camera until a month ago.
I bought a fujifilm xt1 but i think i will sell it off because althought it provide amazing picture i'm not getting so well with it. I find it too small and fidly. Although the design was really exciting with a lot of setting on the top plate, i soon realised that it's more fidly than the 40D where all button fall under the finger and you can easily use in the dark!

So I might stay with canon. What annoyed me with the 40D was the limited ability in iso. Do you see much improvement in iso with the 70D?

Back