Lens for Spa

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey All,

I'm lucky enough to get the opportunity to go to Spa (Circuit de Spa Francorchamps, Belgium) at the end of this month, albeit on the less fun side of the fence. Never been before but really looking forward to it.

At the moment I've my main weapons are a 600D (really should upgrade one day) and a 70-200mm f/2.8 with a 1.4X extender. Is that going to be enough length wise? I was considering hiring a 400mm f/5.6 but would mean the additional 1.3kg to carry around the track.

Any help greatly appreciated as always.

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to get the opportunity to go to Spa a.

Go on then.. I will bite..... what's SPA when it's at home then ?

you need to get out more, Kipax. Spa Francorchamps I guess, Belgian F1 Grand Prix. Monaco is the one I would love to go to. When I win the lottery!!

I thought he'd need something waterproof and was going to suggest a Nikonos. :(

Go on then.. I will bite..... what's SPA when it's at home then ?

"I'm lucky enough to get the opportunity to go to Spa (Circuit de Spa Francorchamps, Belgium)"

Better for you KIPAX? :)

I'd go with the 400 if thats the option. It depends upon the sort of shots you hope to come back with. Is it for the Summer Classic?
I went last year, and will be going again this year. It's a good event, and the access is really good. Because it was my first trip to Spa, I walked the entire circuit, so was able to suss out the angles all around. I'd reckon that you wouldnt need to walk much further than Pouhon really.
I took a 17-40mm, 70-200f4 and 400 f5.6 on a canon 5d3. A selection from the event is on the link below if that helps.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskfJBKER

"I'm lucky enough to get the opportunity to go to Spa (Circuit de Spa Francorchamps, Belgium)"

Better for you KIPAX? :)

I honestly didnt have a clue... better in talk motorsport then surely?

I honestly didnt have a clue... better in talk motorsport then surely?
Oh was it not in there? Sorry, I thought it was :whistle:

I'd go with the 400 if thats the option. It depends upon the sort of shots you hope to come back with. Is it for the Summer Classic?
I went last year, and will be going again this year. It's a good event, and the access is really good. Because it was my first trip to Spa, I walked the entire circuit, so was able to suss out the angles all around. I'd reckon that you wouldnt need to walk much further than Pouhon really.
I took a 17-40mm, 70-200f4 and 400 f5.6 on a canon 5d3. A selection from the event is on the link below if that helps.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskfJBKER

Yeah that's right Matty, Summer Classic. Friend of mine is racing in the CSCC (Purple Lotus Elise) so taking it as a good opportunity to see Spa for the first time. Shot wise bit of everything but the close-ups seem more achievable with a 400mm. My only major concern is weight, the 70-200 isn't light and carrying a 400 as well could be a handful. Cheers for the link, I'll take a look when I'm at home as flickr is blocked in work. (y)

Oh was it not in there? Sorry, I thought it was :whistle:

Yeah that's right Matty, Summer Classic. Friend of mine is racing in the CSCC (Purple Lotus Elise) so taking it as a good opportunity to see Spa for the first time. Shot wise bit of everything but the close-ups seem more achievable with a 400mm. My only major concern is weight, the 70-200 isn't light and carrying a 400 as well could be a handful. Cheers for the link, I'll take a look when I'm at home as flickr is blocked in work. (y)

I definitely found the 400 a help last year on Full Frame, though I've barely used it since. I may sell it once I get back this year!
Not long now, its a really good event, and I hope the weather is as good as it was last year,

I was there last year for the F1. Just as a punter, found it hard to get a shot that wasn't obscured by fencing and gave up in the end. By far my best shots (for memories anyway) were of walking the track post-race. If weight is an issue, perhaps a DX body with a 70-200 giving 300 equiv reach? That's what I generally use for motorsport, but then I'm just a hobbyist. As a general rule though, aren't fast lenses a bit pointless in direct afternoon sunlight? I'm often pining for a polarising filter even with an f4 lens, to get the shutter speed down far enough for a nice bit of motion blur.

Regarding Spa - watch out for wasps, sunstroke, and the powerful Belgian beer.

Thanks for the assistance chaps, I may hire the 400mm just so I can try and look semi-professional haha.

Slightly off topic, Andrew what did you do to get yourself the right side of the fence? I was looking at the pass type thing on the summer classic website but without any professional experience I think I would have zero chance if I applied for one so I haven't bothered.

Back