Lens Hire

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
First ever post from a newbie so please be gentle....
Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with online lens hire companies? I was thinking of hiring a lens as kind of try before you buy before spending my hard earned pounds. Specifically, I have been looking at Lenses For Hire and LensPimp but would appreciate any advice or recommendations.
:help:

Stewart from Lenses For Hire posts on here. Ive not used any of them but certainly haven't heard any negative reports.

Yup I've used LensesForHire a couple of times. I can highly recommend them and Stewart is great to deal with

Neil

Another + for lensesforhire here too, i've used them a few times and their service is second to none.

Lenses for Hire = the best. Stewart is a gent and the equipment they provide, and the service, is top class.

Andy

I have heard good things about lenses for hire and Stewart on here is very helpful. I have used lenspimp 3 times and cannot fault their service, lenses have always arrived on time been in emaculate condition and well packaged, all 3 hires went very smoothly.

Sorry to hijack, but I've looked on Lenses for Hire and Lens Pimp and neither have a 35mm AF-S :( Really hoping I could try one as I want to get one. Anyone know where I could find one?

Sorry to hijack, but I've looked on Lenses for Hire and Lens Pimp and neither have a 35mm AF-S :( Really hoping I could try one as I want to get one. Anyone know where I could find one?

Where are you? I may be able to help.

I've used Lenses For Hire many times and the service from Stewart and his team has been exceptional. There was a problem with the delivery of one lens (a CityLink issue) and I was going away the next day, so Stewart arranged for redelivery to my Hotel for first thing that morning.

Last weekend the lens I wanted wasn't available so I used LensPimp who can't be faulted as everything went smoothly

I've used lenses for hire for work before and I can recommend them. The prices are far better than anywhere else we have used, usually cheaper for a whole week than others charge per day!

I've used lens pimp twice now & cannot fault their service, the first time they got the lens to me two days before the hire was due to start & didn't want anything in return. Deff be using them again!

+1 for lenses for hire. Rented 2 lens from them during winter. Great service!

Another tick for lenses for hire.
Used then to try out a 300l a few years back. Good service and great to deal with.

We've been holding off buying the 35mm f/1.4 G.

Up until the start of 2011 it was £1700+, which is just nuts. We can't afford to pay the "early adopter" tax like that, because we can't make money from the lens fast enough to compenate for its inevitable drop in value. (That's pretty much the story for every new lens too.)

Since January it's come down to £1400. I think that is still pretty expensive - the Canon equivalent is around £1100, and I can't see how the Nikon will be that much better! - and it wouldn't surprise me if it had a bit further to fall.

But it's all a bit academic now as nobody has any in stock following the earthquake and tsunami.

StewartR said:

Up until the start of 2011 it was £1700+, which is just nuts. We can't afford to pay the "early adopter" tax like that, because we can't make money from the lens fast enough to compenate for its inevitable drop in value. (That's pretty much the story for every new lens too.)

Since January it's come down to £1400. I think that is still pretty expensive - the Canon equivalent is around £1100, and I can't see how the Nikon will be that much better! - and it wouldn't surprise me if it had a bit further to fall.

But it's all a bit academic now as nobody has any in stock following the earthquake and tsunami.

It's a cracking lens though, picked one up a few days ago and I'm really impressed.

Ah right. That's fair enough :) I would be happy with the 35mm F/1.8 G, as that's the one I'm looking to get, as the 1.4 like you've said, is way too much money! :)

Many thanks for all your input. Will definitely be trying Lenses for Hire in the next couple of weeks :)

Back