Lens opinions required !!!

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
I am just about to purchase a new body either a 450D or a 40D and i am looking to purchase a lens. I really like portrait photography and i am quite interested in macro although i have never tried this yet. I have a wee bit of dilema in that i was thinking of buying a good portrait lens i.e the Canon 85mm f1.8 but have recently been given the option of buying the Sigma 105 macro and the Canon 50mm f1.8 for roughly the same money as the 85mm lens. Is the Sigma close enough in image quality for portraits that would make it worthwhile me taking this and basically having the macro capabilitites too. Obviously the 50mm f1.8 would come in handy for closer range portraits too. Any advice appreciated.

This is always a difficult one to answer, because it depends how far back you can stand for the portraits. The Sigma 105 is a really good lens and very sharp, but I sold mine and bought the Sigma 70mm 2.8 macro because I wanted the shorter focal length. In my opinion, and many others, the Sigma image quality on both these lenses is as good as you can get.

The Sigma would be used mainly outdoors as i would have the 50mm f1.8 for smaller indoor spaces. I always had the 85mm f1.8 on my definate purchase list but now i am swaying because the Sigma is basically two lenses in one.

never used a 105mm macro lens as a portrait lens before, but it's a bit on the long side in my opinion

Lots of folks will feel that the 105 is a tad too long for portrait work on a crop camera but personally, I'd be very comfy with that. If you have the room to get back a little then a longer lens can be really nice to work with and I often used a 300 for portraits, even in the studio.

Given that you'd also have the 50, I'd go for it myself. 3 good quality options for the price of one seems like a no brainer to me. :)

Given that you'd also have the 50, I'd go for it myself. 3 good quality options for the price of one seems like a no brainer to me. :)

I have to agree, the IQ on both the lenses is superb and it's three for the price of one!

I'm thinking the 85mm, though a good lens, will be a bit long on a cropped sensor (450D/40D) for portrait work. The 50mm would be better, and indeed its what I use for portrait work.

The sigma is a very good Macro lens and thats the combo I would personally go for.

i would say anything above 70mm is a tight one for portraits on a cropped body. You would have to stand quite far back, and the 105 would be even worse in that sense.

Cheers guys. I think i am swaying a bit toward the 2 lens combo as i will have the 50mm for indoors and the 105 will give me the chance to experiment with macro which i have always thought about but never tried. Has anyone used the sigma as a portrait lens before? I was wondering what the bokeh was like as thats one of the reason's i was going for the 85mm in the first place. I had the 50mm before but sold it to part frund my 28-135 is but i would take it again no probs. I was happy with it before i bought my 430 ex mk2 so it should be even better used with this flash.

the 50mm 1.8 is a lovely versitile lens, well worth having
portraits, I think should be 80mm or over so 50x1.6 seems pretty helpful.
I've used both those lenses for low light work and really like them both. didn't use the sigma 105mm much though for macro and sold it on to a good and appreciative home

Attached are two snaps taken with the 105 f2.8, sorry for the quality but it needed to get done quick before my daughter wandered off! I was ~3m from her and the shrubs in the BG were a further ~4m back, one shot wide open and one at f8. Like I say they're just snaps and know the lens can do much better than this, but it gives an idea. As for my AF comments, if it's in roughly the right area it bangs into focus quite quickly.

105f28.jpg

105f8.jpg

They look very good for just snaps as you call them. I think that has made mind up. The two lens combo it is. Thanks again guys for all your opinions and photo's

I have a similar set up - 50mm 1.8 plus the Canon 100mm 2.8 on a 40D. I take the point of earlier posts that you may have to get used to standing back a little further than normal with the 100mm for portrait work, but it gives top results. (To be honest, the extra distance means you are less intrusive - you'll get used to it.) And with the macro capabilities - 2 lenses for the price of 1.

The 50 1.8 is a gem for the price. (y)

Tommo i was looking at the Canon 100mm macro too but as i've been offered a good deal on the sigma i thought i would plump for that. The distance is not really a factor to be honest as it won't really be too close anyway and as i said earlier if i need a lens in a small space i always have the 50mm f1.8.

I have the canon 60mm Macro which is superb plus it does a great job of both portrait and 1:1 macro. Another superb lens is the canon 85mm f1.8 prime. This really is a stunner but not sure how it is for macro.

Back