Lens recalibration

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon,

If I were to purchase a brand new lens from Canon/Sigma/Tamron, etc., and found it to be front/rear focusing, would sending it back to the manufacturer for recalibration be covered by the warranty????

Thanks

Niffy

You would be entitled to send it to a CANON service agent such as Lehmanns I believe, if a CANON lens, for checking and calibrating. This would be free of charge if found to be out of the manufacturers tolerances but I guess you would have to pay postage there and back. On the other hand, I would consider sending/taking it back to whoever you purchased it from and let them deal with it - and for them to pay any postage costs if your lens was found to be faulty - but why the pessimism?

The same applies to lenses as every other item purchased from a retailer - if not of the quality described, it should be replaced and no questions asked if new. On the other hand, if in warranty and over a reasonable age - say 28 days - it is up to the seller to get a faulty item repaired at no cost to the purchaser.

Alan

Afternoon,

If I were to purchase a brand new lens from Canon/Sigma/Tamron, etc., and found it to be front/rear focusing, would sending it back to the manufacturer for recalibration be covered by the warranty????

Thanks

Niffy

This sounds like a case of the item being essentially faulty, so you could return it. It's not fit for purpose.

I'm curious where to find the charges for e.g. Canon recalibrating lenses and serving cameras. Must be a bad searcher... :(

The same applies to lenses as every other item purchased from a retailer - if not of the quality described, it should be replaced and no questions asked if new. On the other hand, if in warranty and over a reasonable age - say 28 days - it is up to the seller to get a faulty item repaired at no cost to the purchaser.

Alan

You do not have to show there is a fault up to 6 mths after this time you have to show there is a fault

Back