Lens suggestions for surfing shots!

JD.

Name
Jess
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!

So, I have a Nikon D80, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where I could buy a decent lens -and what lens at that- for taking some shots of surfing?!

Would love to get some shots to promote our uni surf team, any advice would be great!
Thanks

In a nutshell, what's the longest, fastest lens you can afford?

It wouldn't hurt to look at something older and manual focus, seeing as you'd likely be focussed at infinity anyway.

The most dramatic and best surfing photos I've seen have all been taken with a waterproof housing, close to the action. However, I'm guessing such things are way over your budget!

As has been said, the longest, fastest lens you can afford. Either the Sigma 150-500 OS if you'll be hand holding (the OS really does work well), or the older (and, it has to be said, slightly less sharp at the long end wide open) 170-500 non OS if you'll be using a tripod, maybe with a gimbal head.

ETA... You could also consider hiring a lens - a fast 600mm for example, although to use that effectively, you'll almost certainly need a tripod.

Last edited:
Just found this one taken with Sigma 150-500 on my 350D

Img_d8243.jpg

Thanks for the advice! Ill have a look around and get more info on the ones youve recommended! :)

if you're close to the beech then I think any 70-300 would be good, get a monopod and hunker down on the sand.
on a budget the sigma ones and tamron ones are pretty good.
because you're outdoors (hopefully :p) and you can pick good light, then I don't see a difficult requirement for this.

welcome to the forum btw

Hi JD
Im also into taking photo's of surfing and as a canon user i opted for the canon 300mm F4 L IS, so i would recommend something like this in the nikon range, not sure what as like i said im a canon user, here an image from the boardmasters in newquay last yearusing the lens mentioned.
6114006636_3304e24bc9_z.jpg

Andy

Hey there,

I also have taken a keen interest in surfing shots with my D90, I currently own the 80-200/F2.8 AF-S and although it is fast it simply doesn't have the reach I need, having used a 70-300 AF-S VR I can highly recommend it, unless you have the budget to go higher of course?

Nikon do a 300/F4 which may be better for you in this case, price tag is around 6-700, so not bad at all!

The most dramatic and best surfing photos I've seen have all been taken with a waterproof housing, close to the action. However, I'm guessing such things are way over your budget!
It's not just a matter of budget. Getting those kind of shots with a 10mm lens means you need to be almost on the board with the guy. The top end surf photographers that get those shots are often surfers themselves and are well versed in the safety aspects of what is required.

Andy77, was that on the full frame or a body that gave you a sneaky extra 150mm?

I ended up going for a 70-300mm AF. So will see how it goes with that! If I get any good shots I'll let you know! Fingers crossed I do get some good shots!!

Back