Lens to go with my Nikon D300

Edit My Images
No
Hi

I have recently bought a Nikon D300 and very nice peice of kit it is. Now that I am comitted to Nikon the choice comes to lenses. This is just doing my head as the choice is vast.

To make things easier for me I looked at what past photos I have shot the most and the clear winner was portraits, but i remember that on my last trip I regretted not being able to capture the beautiful scenery that was in front of me. So with this infomation in my mind I have researched the following lenses:-

1.) Sigma 50mm f1.4 (better build than Nikkor 50mm)
2.) Sigma70-200mm f1.8 Ex HSM for telephoto.
3.) Tokina 11-16mm UWA for all landscape shots.

Does my choices seem good enough or are there any other lens that i need to look at.

Will I be able to get the same results for portraiture if I was to buy Nikkor 17-55 DX f2.8 instead of Sigma 50mm?

I have jumped straight from Fuji f31fd to Nikon D300 so I am currently reading a lot on what this camera can do as well as general photography techniques, but I need to buy at least one lens to get practising what I am currently reading.

So do I buy Sigma 50mm or Nikon 17-55?

Thanks for reading and in advance for any reply.

70-200 is 2.8
Will you get the same results from siggy 50 1.4 and nikon 17-55. No

Siggy has better low light capapbility and bokeh at wide aperture.

17-55 allows for adjustments in framing when you can't move.

i have both I like and use both

Oh and Welcome :)

Hi

I have recently bought a Nikon D300 and very nice peice of kit it is. Now that I am comitted to Nikon the choice comes to lenses. This is just doing my head as the choice is vast.

To make things easier for me I looked at what past photos I have shot the most and the clear winner was portraits, but i remember that on my last trip I regretted not being able to capture the beautiful scenery that was in front of me. So with this infomation in my mind I have researched the following lenses:-

1.) Sigma 50mm f1.4 (better build than Nikkor 50mm)
2.) Sigma70-200mm f1.8 Ex HSM for telephoto.
3.) Tokina 11-16mm UWA for all landscape shots.

Does my choices seem good enough or are there any other lens that i need to look at.

Will I be able to get the same results for portraiture if I was to buy Nikkor 17-55 DX f2.8 instead of Sigma 50mm?

I have jumped straight from Fuji f31fd to Nikon D300 so I am currently reading a lot on what this camera can do as well as general photography techniques, but I need to buy at least one lens to get practising what I am currently reading.

So do I buy Sigma 50mm or Nikon 17-55?

Thanks for reading and in advance for any reply.

The 70-200 is f1:2.8 not f1:1.8 but I'm sure thats a typo. TYou wouldn't get the ultra shallow DoF with the 17-55 as you would with the 50 1.4 but you would get a more flexible lens that fills the gap in your proposed line up very nicely. It depends what you want to do though?

Hugh

Thanks to both, Yep sorry I made a typo :bang: with the wrong aperture quoted.

Hmm i think what i loose in the focal length can probably make up for it in the low light results and nicer bokeh as both of you mention. I just needed to make sure that it cannot be duplicated.

What do you think about the rest of the choices?

Back