Beginner Lenses for canon EOS 2000D

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Just wandering if I can get a few peoples opinions on lenses, I’m shooting portraits at the moment and I have a EMF 18-55mm lens which just isn’t cutting it and I’m looking to purchase another lens or 2 I have seen a fair few reviews on several lenses but just after a few opinions on what others use or can recommend? I have a budget of around £400-£500 but want to be sure before I purchase anything
Thanks

I'll just say the 2 lenses I couldnt be without (and would replace if lost) are :-

1 Canon 50mm f1.8 (nifty fifty) ... Canons best lens for the money ever imo.

2 Sigma 24-105 f4 Art lens .... my walk about lens and better imo than canons L version (which I have had in the past)

And look for good used lenses (pos MPB).

Just wandering if I can get a few peoples opinions on lenses, I’m shooting portraits at the moment and I have a EMF 18-55mm lens which just isn’t cutting it and I’m looking to purchase another lens or 2 I have seen a fair few reviews on several lenses but just after a few opinions on what others use or can recommend? I have a budget of around £400-£500 but want to be sure before I purchase anything
Thanks
what's not cutting it? that would help to recommend. Nifty fifty as above is the obvious choice for portraits if you're looking for a shallower depth of field look and well within budget.

When I had APS-C Canon DSLR's one lens which impressed me was the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and that lens on my 20D was the first to convince me that a lens could be too sharp for portraits of your girlfriend. At the time Sigma did a very similar 18-50mm f2.8 and later Canon added their own 17-55mm f2.8 but the Canon was much bigger and heavier and more expensive.

I'm mostly a prime guy but I don't think zooms should be overlooked and a quality 17 or 18-50mm f2.8 is IMO well worth a look as they can be a real improvement over the standard variable aperture zoom kit lens. Personally I wouldn't look at 24/28-xxx full frame lenses for use on an APS-C camera as they lack the wide end of APS-C lenses and involve carrying around glass which APS-C can't use and thus needlessly add bulk and weight.

For portraits on my full frame Sony a7Riv- I prefer to use my Sony 85mm f1.4 G lens an amazing portrait lens in my opinion

Nr7bANn.jpg

as for crop camera, I never use- maybe as said a 50mm f1.8 would be up to the job - forget zooms

Les

If you want mainly portraits then a 50mm will do you great as it will be 80mm equivalent on your camera.

If you buy 2nd hand it would likely leave enough change for a better zoom too!

Last edited:
I would also say the 50mm f1.8 is the best bang for the buck especially if shooting outdoors. If indoors then a 35mm f2 or f1.8 would be easier to use.

Last edited:
Back