LESS THAN AN HOUR TO GO!!!!

I think England should abstain from the World Cup, let's face it, we were never going to win it anyway. Stick 2 fingers up at Blatter and tell them that until they get there house in order we won't be part of the ridiculous facade.

It will save us money, give us time to build a decent team, and we could bring back the home internationals (and have a chance of winning something :LOL:).

Steve

Because blatant corruption was uncovered on a multi-million pound international competition. Because it was the morally right thing to do. Because to withold the information would have made winning the draw morally unacceptable knowing that the system was corrupt.

Morals. That's why.

:agree: 100%

we didnt get it becuase England is viewed as an irritant by the europeans, Belgium especially, the EU hate us so it wouldnt surprise me that the EU had a quite word with Fifa, i dont think its as a direct result of the TV programs.

I disagree. I think the media has played a large part in it.

I guess we'll never know for sure either way unless 20 voters stand up and are honest about their reasons - never gonna happen

So what would you say if they stood up and said they just wanted it to go to a "developing" nation?

Even you're comment above (are honest about their reasons) suggests you won't believe them unless they agree with your opinion.

So what would you say if they stood up and said they just wanted it to go to a "developing" nation?

Even you're comment above (are honest about their reasons) suggests you won't believe them unless they agree with your opinion.

No, I mean that we'll never know if they are being honest even if they did say it was the media. For all I know it was other reasons and they'll use that as a scapegoat. I'm not in a position to say whether the reasons they state - if they ever do are honest or not.

I can only go by my own opinion in that the media played a massive part in it. The fact is, we'll never know for sure

Personally I couldnt ive a monkey's cuss if it's here, in Russia or on the Moon.
I'd like to see us hosting something that attracts sportsmen/women who care more about their sport than their bank balance.
Matt

I wonder how long it will be before the English start saying "we didn't really want the World Cup anyway"

:naughty:

you'll be waiting a long time. Probably not as long as you'll be waiting to get past the knock out stages of a World Cup though :LOL:

No, I mean that we'll never know if they are being honest even if they did say it was the media. For all I know it was other reasons and they'll use that as a scapegoat. I'm not in a position to say whether the reasons they state - if they ever do are honest or not.

I can only go by my own opinion in that the media played a massive part in it. The fact is, we'll never know for sure

You haven't realised it. You were NEVER going to get the tournament. It was a fixed vote but you (the nation, not you personally) got totally carried away in your own hype and you lost sight of that.

Calling in Davy, Wullie and that other useless ****** simply helped to give you the false impression that you stood a chance; you didn't, never did. There's no point blaming panorama, they didn't affect the decision anymore than you or I did.

You haven't realised it. You were NEVER going to get the tournament. It was a fixed vote but you (the nation, not you personally) got totally carried away in your own hype and you lost sight of that.

Calling in Davy, Wullie and that other useless ****** simply helped to give you the false impression that you stood a chance; you didn't, never did. There's no point blaming panorama, they didn't affect the decision anymore than you or I did.

well, I disagree respectfully.(y)

I wonder how long it will be before the English start saying "we didn't really want the World Cup anyway"

:naughty:

Speaking as only one of the millions of Englishmen, I can say that I didn't want the world cup here. OR the Olympics. Hell, I'd go as far as to say that IMO, the city's field should be sold off to developers and the proceeds used to offset poll tax increases. IIRC, a few years ago, last time the club were about to go bust, the council bought the ground to give them some working capital.

That's an opinion Joe. Clearly Panorama was part of the picture, but then maybe our bid wasn't as good as we think, or maybe FIFA just wanted to promote less established footballing nations. If there was inappropriate decision making, it seems more likley it was a push in another direction rather than a pull away from the UK. The Russians certainly have a different way of making things happen.

To blame the BBC is convenient, but as I said earlier, the story was already well and truly out, and even published by The Sunday Times. The beeb could not have kept that quiet it even if they wanted to, just not possible. They had the story, and the damage was done.

If that raises other questions about the media in general, then that's the price of a free press. We have the media we want, what we deserve if you like, and to blame the media is actually to blame the society that consumes it and pays for it - avidly and greedily as it happens.

Edit: corruption in FIFA? Who'd have thought it! Corruption in British football, brown envelopes and bungs everywhere? Surely not! How dare you :eek:

Last edited:
That's an opinion Joe.

It certainly is, but we can assume that cos I wrote it right? I don't need to indicate something as being my opinion before I write do I? Surely thats just a given? :shrug:

very disappointed that we didn't get it, but no real surprise.

The only unbiased way would be all qualifying bids go into a draw and it is picked out a hat! Once you have hosted it, you are banned from trying again for 30 years or so - to give everone a fair chance.

Everyone knows the decision is corrupt, but panorama really should have waited until next week to play the program.

The F'ing corrupt ******* just accused us of trying to sway the votes with the Panorama broadcast.

That's a bit rich from a man that demonstrably perverted the entire voting system in his own country to stay in power!

But this is more than just that it's about FOOTBALL!!!

Maybe just maybe our bid wasn't the best, but what we as a nation are best at is being bad losers.

The way those involved in the bid have since reacted with many questioning the decision and whether or not there was some corruption is just the same as Rooney & Co behaving like big kids, just a bunch of overpaid numbskulls thinking they can't be wrong.....well this time get over it, you lost!

About time football was taken back to it's grass roots and once again put back in the reach of the many millions who watch their team week in week out, it's these fans that keep these numbskulls in a job paying beyond stupid wages.

Maybe just maybe our bid wasn't the best, but what we as a nation are best at is being bad losers.

The way those involved in the bid have since reacted with many questioning the decision and whether or not there was some corruption is just the same as Rooney & Co behaving like big kids, just a bunch of overpaid numbskulls thinking they can't be wrong.....well this time get over it, you lost!

About time football was taken back to it's grass roots and once again put back in the reach of the many millions who watch their team week in week out, it's these fans that keep these numbskulls in a job paying beyond stupid wages.

I'm pretty sure in this case we actually did have the best bid. The report indicated we ranked top as the most profitable and viable. I think Russia was bottom.

And how does the world cup going to one of the most racist country in the world take football back to it's grass roots - or are you insinuating something?

I'm pretty sure in this case we actually did have the best bid. The report indicated we ranked top as the most profitable and viable. I think Russia was bottom.

And how does the world cup going to one of the most racist country in the world take football back to it's grass roots - or are you insinuating something?

Exactly... huge distances between stadiums, racist and violent fans (even your average British hooligan will think twice about going), corruption at all levels and most stadiums not built yet? As opposed to us, compact country, great stadiums..... Then you have Qatar winning, obviously money talking there. Plus you had USA, Sth Korea and Japan trying to host that, when the have all hosted since 1994.

My objection to the BBC is that we all know FIFA are as bent as a nine bob note, but to criticise FIFA so much when we are trying to win beggars belief.

I don't need to indicate something as being my opinion before I write do I? Surely thats just a given? :shrug:

So you want to make that tireless and much-loved 4LA known as IMHO redundant? :crying: :nono:

taken back to it's grass roots.

back to it's grass roots - or are you insinuating something?

Certainly not.

With my last visit to a match over a year ago and having paid the best part of £40 for me and the 2 boys to watch a York City v Oxford United Blue Square Premier Conference match and finding out the toilets consisted of a brick wall the money that goes into football from a high % of working class man is all wrong and it is a vast money making machine.

The prices for the tickets, the food and the shirts are just no longer affordable to the average family who many years ago would have saturday afternoons set aside for a visit to the local ground. The stupid money paid to the players, their agents, the clubs management and the bank is just not substainable and as it is being played out as we speak one club after another is falling closer to folding because the very people who 'love' the game, i.e. players, managers are taking too much money out if it.

So Joe, when I said take it back to it's grass roots what I meant was make it affordable and in doing so pay the players etc a realistic wage, nothing more, nothing less.

Certainly not.

With my last visit to a match over a year ago and having paid the best part of £40 for me and the 2 boys to watch a York City v Oxford United Blue Square Premier Conference match and finding out the toilets consisted of a brick wall the money that goes into football from a high % of working class man is all wrong and it is a vast money making machine.

The prices for the tickets, the food and the shirts are just no longer affordable to the average family who many years ago would have saturday afternoons set aside for a visit to the local ground. The stupid money paid to the players, their agents, the clubs management and the bank is just not substainable and as it is being played out as we speak one club after another is falling closer to folding because the very people who 'love' the game, i.e. players, managers are taking too much money out if it.

So Joe, when I said take it back to it's grass roots what I meant was make it affordable and in doing so pay the players etc a realistic wage, nothing more, nothing less.

Is it stupid? Sure, some players earn huge amounts, but no worse than F1 drivers, singers, actors etc... Some clubs are very badly run, like any industry but look at Arsenal, £56m profit last year (from memory). So if they want to pay a reserve keeper £10k per week why cant they? If Arsenal or Man U can sell all tickets at £50, why should they sell them for less? If I could sell a 7x5 print for £400 I would!

My local clubs Cambridge Utd and Histon often do kids for a quid days, and charge around £13-£15 per ticket for adults. Yet the players are on modest wages and the clubs struggle financially. If Histon pay players any less, they will be below min wage!!!

Some clubs are very badly run, like any industry but look at Arsenal, £56m profit last year (from memory)

Not necessarily from football though...

BBC News-

The company said it had sold 362 private apartments at Highbury Square, the site of its former home ground.

Those and a social housing site nearby generated £156.9m revenue from property

My objection to the BBC is that we all know FIFA are as bent as a nine bob note, but to criticise FIFA so much when we are trying to win beggars belief.

Actually the mistake is pretty obvious - some reporters analysed how FIFA works and then Russia won.

The mistake was to be told the decision was based on corruption and then to not be playing the right game.

Not that you could have won at that particular game, you weren't blatnoy enough (y)

I don't often buy Private Eye but have done so this week. Seems there may be 2 reasons England didn't get it.

#1, Originally, Beckham promissed to take posh along so delegates could have a quick go on her but then he took posh and posher instead and nobody fancied either of them. Then, #2, he showed up wearing a dark suit with brown shoes...

I thought that he threatened to take Victoria with him unless the delegates offered their vote.

Back