Let me join you guys/gals in Macro!!

Edit My Images
Yes
I have always read this section and fascinated with all the nice and sharp marco photo posted by you guys/gals. Bought the Tamron 90mm 1:1 a while back but never got round to do some photo. Today I finally picked up the lens and played in the garden.

Any comments/suggestions/criticize are welcomed but don't be too harsh, I am still learning ;)

I have a query would like to get some advise that the pic 4 & 5, forget about the composition but I can't get any closer of the bugs like others, do I need some more equipment in order to do it or what kind of technique that required to take a closer shot of them?

Thanks for looking.

Tubes maybe, try them. dont be affraid to pay a bit extra for the better ones, altho some people have paid £25 and got great results.
Good start and im also just about to start/try at macro.
Pic 1 is good and the Bg is nice (y)

For a first try very good effort.

My opinion:

#1 composition isnt great I would suggest leaving more space to the left of flower.

#2/3 too many blown hightlights what settings where used. Auto/Av/Tv?

#4/5 if you want to get closer than 1:1 you will need to look at modifiers such as extension tubes (af prefered) or something like raynox would personally avoid close up filters.

Again if you supply settings used we can give a better analysis for you.

Welcome to the mad house! Look forward to seeing more from you. :D

Last edited:
Hi Brya,

thanks for your reply!!

the settings of #2 & 3 were both AV, 2 was f/16, 1/60, iso 400. 3 was f/16,1/60, iso 400.

can't wait to take more photo and hopefully to get a better result, it is good fun and addictive!!!

Welcome aboard and the more the merrier I say. As the others have said, maybe dial in a but of exposure compensation to keep the blown areas at bay.

Yes I prefer the original of this one. The processed one has a bit too much contrast so you've lost some of the detail. It's also not as sharp as it could be. I think this is because you are shooting in AV mode and using quite a narrow aperture. I would recommend maybe trying it a bit lower (in bright light like this) and this will increase the shutter speed and hopefully reduce some of the movement blur. Better still, switch to full manual, set your shutter speed to be around 1/100 (you are shooting at 90mm so you want at least 1/90) then see what aperture gives you a good exposure. Start at low iso and only set it higher if your aperture setting needs to be higher for more depth of field. HTHs

Back