Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Another Leveret image (sorry) :)

I'd like to know if this works as an image?
Is there too much white mush, Hares pose, Black bit across the top.. do they impact this image?

(Orange patch is the Sunrise light breaking through the bushes from the left and hitting the dry grass behind the Hare)

As always, feel free to be honest :)

Thank you for looking (y)

1/500 - ISO 1600 - f5.6 - 600mm (5D IV)

Hare in grass
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

I like the soft tones, the mush works well and you've nailed the POV and it's sharp where it needs to be. My first impression was a bit too much mush on the hare itself but the head and eye are clear, so all good there. The dark across the top, as you say, is a little distracting. You could crop most of it away and not lose too much IMO but be careful not to go too tight.

The red/orange bit competes with the hare for attention. Some careful cloning and a bit of cropping would fix the top part, I think it would be another level without that. Not saying it isn't already, it's very nice but losing the darker bit as well as the orange would hit it out of the park. Hold a piece of paper or similar over the darker area on screen, you'll see what I mean.

The head turn is a little unfortunate but I'll let you off that one, that's the hare's fault. ;)

It's a lovely image Gav with bags more potential. (y)

They both work for me. If I'd taken this I don't think I'd have thought about removing the top section. Some may find it distracting but I think if it doesn't add context as you can't make anything out it does add a sense of something beyond.

Lovely pictures either way Gav :D

Which do you prefer?

They both work for me. If I'd taken this I don't think I'd have thought about removing the top section. Some may find it distracting but I think if it doesn't add context as you can't make anything out it does add a sense of something beyond.

Lovely pictures either way Gav :D

Which do you prefer?
Thank you, Alan :)

I don't like any of my images :LOL:

My Obsessive Compulsive side is never happy and always feel something is wrong or I should have done something differant ;)

Thank you, Alan :)

I don't like any of my images :LOL:

My Obsessive Compulsive side is never happy and always feel something is wrong or I should have done something differant ;)

I ether suffer or are helped by ocd and it can be a help but one thing that keeps me almost sane is memories from my days fixing and approving things when sometimes perfection isn't really possible and you have to settle for what you can get.

In photography something could maybe always be better but could you or anyone else have done significantly better at that time and in that light with that subject? Possibly not :D So maybe you can accept that you've done about as well as is possible? :D

I ether suffer or are helped by ocd and it can be a help but one thing that keeps me almost sane is memories from my days fixing and approving things when sometimes perfection isn't really possible and you have to settle for what you can get.

In photography something could maybe always be better but could you or anyone else have done significantly better at that time and in that light with that subject? Possibly not :D So maybe you can accept that you've done about as well as is possible? :D
My OCD is a help sometimes, as I very rarely give up on something, sometimes it's a pain in the backside though, I've broke countless door handles checking them too often... the list goes on :LOL:

I'm only ever happy once everyone else is :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Absolutely lovely Gav, both versions. Always a pleasure to see Hares. Somewhere in between the two edits for me. The transition between the dark section at the top and the lighter tones below on your original take is a little harsh. I'd be tempted to see if you can soften the transition a little (or perhaps a lot) in PP

Gorgeous and super sharp. While the mush in the bottom right is super distracting, I think the empty field speaks volumes. It's not conventional framing, but what if you cropped out almost all the bottom right, so that the frame starts on the hare, keep that orange sun and the horizon, and just have most of the composition the field. Happy to screenshot what I mean if that's easier

Absolutely lovely Gav, both versions. Always a pleasure to see Hares. Somewhere in between the two edits for me. The transition between the dark section at the top and the lighter tones below on your original take is a little harsh. I'd be tempted to see if you can soften the transition a little (or perhaps a lot) in PP
Thank you, Si :)

I will see what my (lack of) skills can do (y)

Gorgeous and super sharp. While the mush in the bottom right is super distracting, I think the empty field speaks volumes. It's not conventional framing, but what if you cropped out almost all the bottom right, so that the frame starts on the hare, keep that orange sun and the horizon, and just have most of the composition the field. Happy to screenshot what I mean if that's easier
Thank you, Doug (y)

I will give it a go and return with some edits ;):)

I loved the first but the edit is super. For me, out the park. :clap:

I loved the first but the edit is super. For me, out the park. :clap:
Thank you, Dale :)

I wasn't sure how much to crop, so went with small and cloning in some BG.

I will try a few other edits with the feedback I've been given.

Thank you again for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Hi all

I had another go at an edit, I have tried to soften the top and added a cropped to the bottom right.

My editing skills are poor and I've spent 3hrs this morning trying different things, I think I've fudged this but thought I will only learn by sharing so here it is :LOL:

Thank you for looking again (y)

Hare in grass MK V.jpg

Hi all

I had another go at an edit, I have tried to soften the top and added a cropped to the bottom right.

My editing skills are poor and I've spent 3hrs this morning trying different things, I think I've fudged this but thought I will only learn by sharing so here it is :LOL:

Thank you for looking again (y)

View attachment 365840

Do you have Photoshop Gav? If so, have a play with selecting the top area, select and mask to add feather to the mask and then the motion blur with it set vertically or at a slight angle. I had a quick play and it works quite well for softening the transition. This assumes of course that you haven't already used this technique! :)

Last edited:
Do you have Photoshop Gav? If so, have a play with selecting the top area, select and mask to add feather to the mask and then the motion blur with it set vertically or at a slight angle. I had a quick play and it works quite well for softening the transition. This assumes of course that you haven't already used this technique! :)
Cheers Si, I use Affinity Photo, I didn't try that, I will take a look and see if it can be done on AP (y)

Back