LG Televisions-Line appearing

Name
King
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had my LG 32 inch digital television for about 3.5 years now.

Recently a very think blue or black line has appeared on left of picture. Sometimes you don't notice it hardly if the picture you're watching is dark. However if you're watching football then the line is very noticeable against the pitch.

Anyone know what the line is indicating? Can it be repaired and if so reasonably cheaply? Or is it a new TV time?

Many thanks for any help given.

If its out of warranty its pretty unusual to be able to repair them economically! The inspection fee is normally £50 plus VAT
Treat yourself, new tvs these days are for nothing!

If its out of warranty its pretty unusual to be able to repair them economically! The inspection fee is normally £50 plus VAT
Treat yourself, new tvs these days are for nothing!

Not for everyone.

After only 3.5 years I'm pretty confident I could still wangle a new one out of LG themselves ;)

Bin it buy a new one.

There are better ways to spend your spare time! :D

Could probably get it done in less time that it takes you lot to be all "blokey" about the research for your next new telly. :p

That's a response only a woman could give!
Back to your knitting woman we need an excuse to justify a new one

That's a response only a woman could give!
Back to your knitting woman we need an excuse to justify a new one

:D Steady on chap....no need to :dummy:

:exit:

im not sure youd get away with 3.5 years of use being unfit for purpose though..
personally id jump ship from LG anyway....

You'd be surprised......

They are cheap enough to buy tbh it's not worth the hassle. We live in a disposable world so chuck it and replace it.

Wangle a replacement!!!

No chance of an exchange unless you had bought an extra 3 year warranty that included "new for old"

Sadly the days of such products being serviceable are over. In fact you can get a 32" HD screen with better picture dynamics and multiple HDMI inputs for less than £160 these days.

S

In the end, you'll do what you gotta do to get a working telly, but........
Yes, we do live in a disposable society and yes, it is almost certainly uneconomic to repair, but - and it's a big but, where does all the discarded electronic crap go?
I strongly suspect into landfill, not exactly planet friendly, eh?

I strongly suspect into landfill, not exactly planet friendly, eh?

Actually they go to transfer stations, like most waste now,
including most household waste.
Its all "sorted" into various components.
Mostly its compressed and sold abroad for fuel,
for their "power stations" (NIMBY ;))
Only the bits that can't be burnt,
end up at landfill, which actually are very rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Sorry for going OT Clive.

Not for everyone.

After only 3.5 years I'm pretty confident I could still wangle a new one out of LG themselves ;)

Yep I am in your camp...

CEO / President email is...

young.na @ lge. com (without spaces!!)

I am still working out if I can replace a 32" panasonic with a 152" panasonic without Sharon noticing....

im not sure youd get away with 3.5 years of use being unfit for purpose though..

personally id jump ship from LG anyway....

some cases - you can use it for up to 7 years.... I'll try to find some "evidence on the web", regarding SOGA / fit for purposes etc...

Older style back lit LCD tvs have a shorter life than the ones that use LEDs. I'd expect 5 years out of one though.

Where was it bought from?

I hot a 50 inch with the same issue repaired by currys after 3 years for free after quoting sog

Actually they go to transfer stations, like most waste now,
including most household waste.
Its all "sorted" into various components.
Mostly its compressed and sold abroad for fuel,
for their "power stations" (NIMBY ;))
Only the bits that can't be burnt,
end up at landfill, which actually are very rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

Sorry for going OT Clive.

Electronic waste doss not go into landfill. That said small items often found in domestic waste still can. But Ftidges Freezers and other goods go for decondtruction.

Under the WEE rehulations (Waste Elelectrical and Electronic Equipment) Regulations the kit is segregated and deconstructed so that those elements containg metals (some precious) can be sent as consolidated bulk to be recovered. Refridgerants are recovered should they still be found in fridges etc as the are often Ozone Depletors. Plastics and hlass is used for a variety of uses including road fill (like ground up tyres).

The amount of "landfill" is being heavily regulated under both EU regulation and landfill taxes "gate prices". Landfill Taxes have been heavily increased over the past 10 years. There are few new sites and what can be dumped is heavily regulated. The owners must compact and minimise damage through leachate and gas emission control and recovery. Many waste "sites" use the gases from lanffill for local energy generation as do waste incineration plants (eg Edmonton in North London).

It is unlikely that any new landfill sites will be allowed and waste will be segregated fot value and more incknrration for energy will be used for the medium term.

Electronic waste doss not go into landfill. That said small items often found in domestic waste still can. But Ftidges Freezers and other goods go for decondtruction.

Under the WEE rehulations (Waste Elelectrical and Electronic Equipment) Regulations the kit is segregated and deconstructed so that those elements containg metals (some precious) can be sent as consolidated bulk to be recovered. Refridgerants are recovered should they still be found in fridges etc as the are often Ozone Depletors. Plastics and hlass is used for a variety of uses including road fill (like ground up tyres).

The amount of "landfill" is being heavily regulated under both EU regulation and landfill taxes "gate prices". Landfill Taxes have been heavily increased over the past 10 years. There are few new sites and what can be dumped is heavily regulated. The owners must compact and minimise damage through leachate and gas emission control and recovery. Many waste "sites" use the gases from lanffill for local energy generation as do waste incineration plants (eg Edmonton in North London).

It is unlikely that any new landfill sites will be allowed and waste will be segregated fot value and more incknrration for energy will be used for the medium term.

Do you mean fridges?

And regulations?

For?

No Idea what that means.:shrug:

Last edited:
Do you mean fridges?

And regulations?

For?

Big fingers small android keyboard is my excuse!

Quite often on here and many other sites the word BROUGHT is constantly being used in place of Bought. In face to face meetings the same is happening. This is not simple spelling errors but regular use. Like Would of, Could of and Might of in place of Would have, Could have and Might have which are the correct usageS.

Do you mean Bought?

Do you mean fridges?

And regulations?

For?

Big fingers small android keyboard is my excuse!

Quite often on here and many other sites the word BROUGHT is constantly being used in place of Bought. In face to face meetings the same is happening. This is not simple spelling errors but regular use. Like Would of, Could of and Might of in place of Would have, Could have and Might have which are the correct usageS.

pedant2.jpg

:D

Anyways back to the O/P, it sounds like the panel driver board is acting up, they can be replaced, it is a major pain in the butt and you need to make sure you get the exact replacement board for your telly.

You could use this as an excuse for an "upgrade"

:)

:D

Anyways back to the O/P, it sounds like the panel driver board is acting up, they can be replaced, it is a major pain in the butt and you need to make sure you get the exact replacement board for your telly.

You could use this as an excuse for an "upgrade"

:)

I had a 42" Plasma bought when they were just sub £1.5K, which developed a solid black vertical line in the centre of the screen just before the 4th year of ownership. Currys responded with a "refurbished" later model which solved the problem and was finally ditched last year after around 7 years in total for new and replacement. Overall cost of ownership was about £215 annually against the capital outlay. Quite expensive in reality.

Every fight with Currys came back to their Ts and Cs which fitter just within the SOGA.

So it will be interesting where the OP goes with their issue but I still do not think it will get far in being offered a new replacement. The retailer will be prime point of enquiry and it is their call. I had bought the extended warranty for mt TV (£300) and it garnered the "refurbished" replacement. These days you can buy a pretty good full HD TV for that sort of money.

S

Back