Light Painting Toy Car

Name
Marco
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone,

This is my first time at light painting, I thought id try it first on a toy car before doing it on the real deal :p

Please comment and leave any tips on how to improve.

Heres a few from a large selection, enjoy!

DSC_0687.jpg

DSC_0684.jpg

DSC_0678.jpg

DSC_0632.jpg

DSC_0629.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

No. 7 is the best of the bunch there I think; looks great!

Light painting a car is not about lighting up the car, you need to use the angles and curves of the car to bounce a light off, giving a feeling of shape and form

Image 6 gives you an idea, you are getting reflections there..

also, consider the surroundings, the base for your model would look better on either a road, or, use a sheet of glass for reflections.

Here's a full size light painting of a car I did a couple of years ago.

4592440174_af8fcab4d7_z.jpg

Last edited:
Light painting a car is not about lighting up the car, you need to use the angles and curves of the car to bounce a light off, giving a feeling of shape and form

Interesting. I think that's why I like 7 best; he's got that across the bonnet, over the top and back to the tail. Bit too much light on the nearside perhaps, but number 7 does emphasise the lines nicely.

Thanks for the advice!! The set up was on my bed. I didn't have much lighting equipment, only had a laser pen and a led on a lighter.
Well I have to confess something....number 7 was actually lit by my girlfriend as she wanted to have a go and that's what she came out with. She's never going to let this go now lol.

Hi Marco,

Good first attempt at lightpainting, you just need to refine your technique now (y)
To assist you I did some lightpainting of the wifes R/C mini (below) and all I used was the white screen of my mobile phone

6608480197_1fbd6e2aa2_b_d.jpg

Approx 25 second exposure at f8 in pitch black (pre focussed before turning light out).

Look forward to seeing some more of your attempts.

I fancy a go at this too, I like the idea of practicing on a model.

I would agree that 6 & 7 work best, I take it you don't have a real Lambo to do it for real!

To be honest these are not working for me I can see what you were going for but none these are sharp :shrug: and some are positively out of focus, you need to improve the focus on these and then maybe try and tone down the lighting a little, as it's over powering the model rather than supporting it :(

Matt
MWHCVT

sorry but i have to say that image 7 is the best your gf is going to rib you even more now

Back