light paintings

Morning bump all thoughts welcome

Last edited:
Suggestions for what?.. we're still waiting for "more to follow".. ;)

Bobby, posting this in a feedback & critique section would probably have got you more replies so I've moved it for you.

Much appreciated thank you.

These get my seal of approval - by no means a light painting expert but love the front on of the old canon (y)

These get my seal of approval - by no means a light painting expert but love the front on of the old canon (y)

Thanks for the comment. Have got some more in processing so will stick some more on when done.

My overwhelming thought is the your white balance is too cool, this is a silver camera but in these photos it's looking almost blue...what are you using for light painting? My guess is its a white LED of some sort...for this you usually need quite a warm white balance to compensate for how cool the source is...

The lighting is very flat to the point of looking like low power direct flash, the whole point of light painting is to move the light/paint with it through the exposure to the lighting emphasises the shape/lines of what ever your subject is while controlling how much light each part receives

Some of these the shallow DoF really works both on for example the birds eye view of the camera I'm really drawn to the fact that hotshoe is OOF a broader DoF would have really helped this shot

Matt

Love your bulb 2 shot, what way did you light the element inside? PS?

My overwhelming thought is the your white balance is too cool, this is a silver camera but in these photos it's looking almost blue...what are you using for light painting? My guess is its a white LED of some sort...for this you usually need quite a warm white balance to compensate for how cool the source is...

The lighting is very flat to the point of looking like low power direct flash, the whole point of light painting is to move the light/paint with it through the exposure to the lighting emphasises the shape/lines of what ever your subject is while controlling how much light each part receives

Some of these the shallow DoF really works both on for example the birds eye view of the camera I'm really drawn to the fact that hotshoe is OOF a broader DoF would have really helped this shot

Matt

Thanks for the feed back.
all of these shots were taken in a dark room with a black background and shot over about 8 seconds (iso 125) then using a bullet tip light pen and buy moving it around i created the lighting and shadows that you can see. The bulb shot is simply the reflection from the light and me carefully moving it back and forward over where the coil is.
I think the reason for the blue is that the bullet light is a cool white/blue colour and that's where the blue tinge comes from although i did try and process this out. Your eyes are obviously a lot better then mine.

Thanks for the feed back.
all of these shots were taken in a dark room with a black background and shot over about 8 seconds (iso 125) then using a bullet tip light pen and buy moving it around i created the lighting and shadows that you can see. The bulb shot is simply the reflection from the light and me carefully moving it back and forward over where the coil is.
I think the reason for the blue is that the bullet light is a cool white/blue colour and that's where the blue tinge comes from although i did try and process this out. Your eyes are obviously a lot better then mine.

The question would be is your display calibrated, mine is (y) this maybe why your not seeing the colour if your display isn't correctly calibrated (y)

how do i know if its calibrated?

how do i know if its calibrated?

To be honest by that response it says to me no its not currently calibrated, the best solution ideally would be to buy a calibration tool, there are a multitude of options, however they are not necessarily essential you can manually calibrate if you give me a few minutes I'll see if I can find some useful links..

My reason for saying ideally invest in calibrator is that ideally you'd check your display on a regular basis personally mine is done every Friday, plus after OS/display software updates

Well not perfect this website will at least allow you an idea if your basic settings are about right on your display, most monitor or display software will have a walk though calibration process

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Back