Light Trails - Just thought I would share a few...

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
I know that you are all probably getting tired of my light trails, but then I do love them so and this was a particularly great night :D

Please feel free to critique or comment...

M6 - BRINKLOW # 16 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Exposure 90
Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 24 mm
ISO Speed 100

M6 - BRINKLOW # 13 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Exposure 90
Aperture f/7.1
Focal Length 24 mm
ISO Speed 100

M6 - BRINKLOW # 10 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Exposure 90
Aperture f/11.0
Focal Length 24 mm
ISO Speed 100

M6 - BRINKLOW # 2 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Exposure 90
Aperture f/22.0
Focal Length 20 mm
ISO Speed 100

There is a further 14 frames from this session (including 2 more blue light trails) in my ever growing set of light trails so if you have a few minutes to spare and would like to take a look that would be great

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/sets/72157622801523928/

As always C&C more than welcome, encouraged and appreciated.

Matt
MWHCVT

I like them all, but prefer the ones where the clouds are visible.

Number 2 is my favourite since the light streaks seem more even.

I like them all, but prefer the ones where the clouds are visible.

Number 2 is my favourite since the light streaks seem more even.

Thanks, pleased that you like them.

Matt
MWHCVT

number 2's the best there i'm thinking :D
how do you do these!?
they're brill :D

yep as everyone says number 2 for me also like the way the sky is lit

All really good, but to be different, I prefer the trails in #1... the flashing blues add something to it... I do agree about the sky in #2 though.

Dannii said:
number 2's the best there i'm thinking :D
how do you do these!?
they're brill :D

I won't go into the how to do them in this thread, but if you see my signature there is a guide there, feel free to post any questions you have about trails if there is anything you are unsure about from the guide and I'll be happy to help.

stormienam said:
yep as everyone says number 2 for me also like the way the sky is lit

Thanks, much appreciated, was a really great session

jgs001 said:
All really good, but to be different, I prefer the trails in #1... the flashing blues add something to it... I do agree about the sky in #2 though.

Getting blues are great and personally really gets the adrenalin going ;)

posiview said:
I'll go for #1 with #2's sky...:)

Cheers.

:LOL: i understand you sentiment on this ;) one day I will get blues and a perfect sky

Thanks for all your comments

Matt
MWHCVT

I have just read your guide, very informative.

I was out on Saturday night trying this for the first time; I waited until it was dark, next time i will go out just after sunset to get a better sky! :naughty:

Thanks

Sean_m said:
I agree with everyone else. The sky in number 2 makes it really stand out (y)

Thanks, number two really is a stand out one it seems

Tony.F said:
Number 2 is my favourite but all good

Thank you kindly

Spoony said:
I have just read your guide, very informative.

I was out on Saturday night trying this for the first time; I waited until it was dark, next time i will go out just after sunset to get a better sky! :naughty:

Thanks

I hope you enjoyed your first trails experience, trailing should come with a warning though they can be very addictive, you can find yourself hunting the perfect trail ;)

Also thanks for checking out the guide I'm pleased you found it useful

Matt
MWHCVT

number to for me :) Like the clouds too. I love light trails.

Next time, try a different perspective if you can. I found a place i can get down nearly next to the motorway hidden amongst the trees.. its a great vantage point.

Number 1 for me, these are frickin awesome :D

stokes said:
number to for me :) Like the clouds too. I love light trails.

Next time, try a different perspective if you can. I found a place i can get down nearly next to the motorway hidden amongst the trees.. its a great vantage point.

I have started to look at different vantage points but I am really fussy and will only shoot a location if I really like it ;)

God said:
Number 1 for me, these are frickin awesome :D

Thanks it's great to have my efforts appreciated

BenAllen94 said:
The first one is my favourite! (y) the blue in #2 is abit distracting, but not your fault :)

Thanks much appreciated

Matt
MWHCVT

The first one is my favourite! (y) the blue in #2 is abit distracting, but not your fault :)

I agree, and I think that because they are light trails the 1st one is perfect because it draws the eye straight through the centre of the image and out. Very nice. (y)

I have to say thanks to you all again as I am really pleased with the way that this set of light trails have been recieved, I am really lucky to be in a great location for light trails, I can think of at least 10 great locations within a 20 minute drive from my house.

Matt
MWHCVT

Beautiful photos, 2 is my favourite as well! Lovely to see how capable this body is (mainly because I have it to :D ) what lens are you using?

No.2 for me as well, wonder if there is a way to copy the flashing blues into it?

Well since the general consensus has been #2's sky but the suggest was with the trails of #1, here is a quick edit containing the best of both worlds, if you look closely can just make out the join.

M6 LIGHT TRAIL EDIT by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Thoughts please ;)

Matt
MWHCVT

Edit: Just realised that I have worked the sky out of the wrong photo into the blue trails photo, what a dumbass...

Last edited:
shogran said:
Beautiful photos, 2 is my favourite as well! Lovely to see how capable this body is (mainly because I have it to :D ) what lens are you using?

It is a really capable body, I am currently using 3 lenses EFS 17-85mm IS, EF 50mm II and EF 70-300mm IS for all of these it was the 17-85 used and although this this lens gets mixed reviews I love it

nathan said:
1 for me.

Thanks

Leviathan40 said:
No.2 for me as well, wonder if there is a way to copy the flashing blues into it?

I have had a go with the above image

Matt
MWHCVT

It is a really capable body, I am currently using 3 lenses EFS 17-85mm IS, EF 50mm II and EF 70-300mm IS for all of these it was the 17-85 used and although this this lens gets mixed reviews I love it

Thanks for the info! :) Really need to get to know my 450d a bit better!

The sky in number 2 does it for me. I've tried light trails before but my background ends up a dark mess. Will check out your guide.

Thanks for the info! :) Really need to get to know my 450d a bit better!

No worries, just get out and have a play and then post on here for C&C and you will learn how to do things really quick, if you look at my first trails compared to this latest session and you will see a marked improvement.

Number 1 for me but i do like your edited version also

Thanks, pleased that you like them

The sky in number 2 does it for me. I've tried light trails before but my background ends up a dark mess. Will check out your guide.

If you post an example into my guide or a link to your trails I'd love to take a look at them, if I can provide any assistance I will...(y)

Matt
MWHCVT

I like the first two, the last two are too dark for me. You should try somewhere with more diverse activity - what about light trails from a plane landing if you can get to a road close to the runway?

I like #1 never had the chance of getting the any emergency services in my light trails :(

WinstonSmith said:
I like the first two, the last two are too dark for me. You should try somewhere with more diverse activity - what about light trails from a plane landing if you can get to a road close to the runway?

I have a good location for plane trails on there own but have also recently scoped out and done test runs for car and train trails together and have not had time to shoot there yet but I have a location for car and plane trails set up

Sam_W said:
I like #1 never had the chance of getting the any emergency services in my light trails :(

Don't worry it is not that easy to get, I have got them a few times now well 9 times to be precise but please remember that I have spent hours capturing trails on dozens of bridges ;)

Matt
MWHCVT

Hiya Matt,

Thanks for the link to your latest light trails...... #1 is a defo (y) for me, and even more so the edit with #1 & #2 combo.

Well done

Cheers

Dawn :)

I have a good location for plane trails on there own but have also recently scoped out and done test runs for car and train trails together and have not had time to shoot there yet but I have a location for car and plane trails set up

Matt
MWHCVT

Looking forward to seeing them - make sure to post!

drodd said:
Hiya Matt,

Thanks for the link to your latest light trails...... #1 is a defo (y) for me, and even more so the edit with #1 & #2 combo.

Well done

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thanks Dawn, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the visit, look forward to you next 365 update

WinstonSmith said:
Looking forward to seeing them - make sure to post!

I have already done some at the cars and trains location and they are on my flickr but the location needs a lot more work on settings before I will be completely happy with it

Matt
MWHCVT

Back