Lighting and simply physics

I personally would love to see something on video regarding ISL Garry, the sooner the better :)

I'm still thinking about the video...
I have in fact almost completed a written tutorial on this, for the blog, the idea being to get the photos for it (and the video) done in advance, which makes the video quicker and therefore cheaper to produce.

But I'm now wondering whether the video will actually add anything useful to the written tutorial.

OK...
This turned out to be a bit more complicated than I expected and I ended up forgetting the idea of doing it as a video and I did it as a written tutorial instead:)

It's a subject that could go on for ever but I've kept it as simple as possible.

Here

OK...
This turned out to be a bit more complicated than I expected and I ended up forgetting the idea of doing it as a video and I did it as a written tutorial instead:)

It's a subject that could go on for ever but I've kept it as simple as possible.

Here

Only skim-read it Garry but looks good (y)

The first three head shots show a lot. Maybe equalise exposures on say the forehead? Then the background on the last shot would be lighter, as it should be.

Hi Garry. Just read the article, many thanks for the time taken. One dumb question I have is_______________ As you move the light away I get that we loose quantity of light so you open up the aperture am I to assume that if I required the same aperture eg: for dof reasons you would increase flash power ?

Gaz

Hi Garry. Just read the article, many thanks for the time taken. One dumb question I have is_______________ As you move the light away I get that we loose quantity of light so you open up the aperture am I to assume that if I required the same aperture eg: for dof reasons you would increase flash power ?

Gaz

Within reason, yes - adjust flash power to maintain lens aperture. But such is the effect of the ISL that if you move the light too far away or too close, you may run out of adjustment, in which case you may need to adjust ISO too, or add a ND filter.

Only skim-read it Garry but looks good (y)

The first three head shots show a lot. Maybe equalise exposures on say the forehead? Then the background on the last shot would be lighter, as it should be.
Good point, thanks for that - now updated

Thanks Garry had thought of ISO too but had no idea as regards an nd filter.

Gaz

Don't call it photo physics or something like. It will bring up images ou programmes that ran in the night on BBC2.

Karl Taylor has already done something similar

http://petapixel.com/2014/07/01/inverse-square-law-light-explained-simple-terms-photographers/

If it got much more complicated than that then it would turn a lot of people off.

From my perspective that is at the very simplistic (albeit very useful) end of understanding ISL, there wouldn't be any point in making a video at that level because there are already plenty of resources to cover it. I'd find it nice to see a more technical explanation with all the relevant detail. A lot of people want to understand technical aspects of their interests to a deeper level... some don't, I would make the video you want to make and it will find its audience.

Back