Lighting over the Shard

nice lightning capture, let down by the scruffy foreground - the must be better angles onthe shard than that

Acutely, that really works for me the letterbox framing and foreground lead your eyes naturally up to the lightning.

I'm only viewing this on an iPhone but it looks good :)

Oh sorrieeee I'LL remember that next time I'm just out in a thunderstorm

FFS..........................:facepalm:
i nearly spat my coffee out hahahaha - i do like it, yes its not a great picture of the shard (I didn't even notice it, was glued to the lightning) and to be arsy the sky is blown out and there's wiggly white lines all over it :D pmsl

I wish I could grab lightning, let along a whacking big sky full of it like that. (y)

And there i was thinking you wanted crit

if its just a snap of "oh i saw some lighting' then fair enough you've acheived your aim

but if you wanted a decent picture of lightning over the shard you ought to pick a location that actually works then wait for the lightning

and if you can't handle being told like it is - perhaps photos for pleasure would be a better place to put your record shots

With the greatest of respect you've posted this in a critique section if you specifically didn't want critique then it should have been posted in photo for pleasure

Looking at the angle it looks like it was shot from the ground level, would it not have been possible to go up stairs? If you have them of course...and elevated position would have given a better view of the shard and hopefully give a better angle on the foreground

Edit: seems Pete responded to your response while I was also responding :(

Second Edit: At the time of posting all above this the thread was not in Photos for Pleasure as such critique was offered

Last edited:
Bad me *bored smilie*
Mods can you move it please

Bad me *bored smilie*
Mods can you move it please

Yep I've got a bored smile too, some of us enjoy and dedicate a reasonable amount of time trying to offer critique of photos, obviously we don't expect critique to always be automatically agreed with, but I think it's reasonable to expect people to at least be polite/courteous in disagreeing...honestly when people are rude about critique offered it makes me and I'm sure others feel "what's the point"

Last edited:
Re comments on the shard, seems to me that all that is wrong is the title - and that is easily corrected.

I would also have been pleased to get so much lightning in a shot.

Compositionally maybe cropping out more of the foreground would improve it. And ? is the sharpening a tad too much - there seem to be white lines along the roof ridges, but may just be my uncalibrated laptop screen

EDIT - sorry hadn't noticed that it was (?) in PFP when I commented/critiqued

Last edited:
Yep I've got a bored smile too, some of use enjoy and dedicate a reasonable amount of time trying to offer critique of photos, obviously we don't expect critique to always be automatically agreed with, but I think it's reasonable to expect people to at least be polite/courteous is disagreeing...honestly when people are rude about critique offered it makes me and I'm sure others feel "what's the point"

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I just posted it... maybe in the wrong place but I'm bored stiff by those that just want to jump on every little detail to just have a dig.. and it is often a dig and not CC.

I think it's pretty clear it's just a shot taken off the cuff in a very quick passing moment... Sorry I did not plan it out and pay £25 to go up the Shard on the off chance... silly me.

Rude.... that old BS..... Rude is thinking SOME have some god given right to cc the crap out of everything and spend most of their lives on here doing it.

God bless ya kind sirs :rolleyes:

Disclaimer

No CC's where hurt in this post.. well only their egos .....
Bite me

Last edited:
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I just posted it... maybe in the wrong place but I'm bored stiff by those that just want to jump on every little detail to just have a dig.. and it is often a dig and not CC.

I think it's pretty clear it's just a shot taken off the cuff in a very quick passing moment... Sorry I did not plan it out and pay £25 to go up the Shard on the off chance... silly me.

Rude.... that old BS..... Rude is thinking SOME have some god given right to cc the crap out of everything and spend most of their lives on here doing it.

Disclaimer

Bite me

Just exactly why have you got such a chip in your shoulder? I mean lets be honest what was said was hardly harsh,it wasn't rude it was a simple statement...

Yet again your the one coming out swinging like this is some weird boxing match...

Who's asking you to pay £25 to go up the shard, I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that..

Honestly why so defensive?

Just exactly why have you got such a chip in your shoulder? I mean lets be honest what was said was hardly harsh,it wasn't rude it was a simple statement...

Yet again your the one coming out swinging like this is some weird boxing match...

Who's asking you to pay £25 to go up the shard, I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that..

Honestly why so defensive?

Your imagination is running away again .. chip ? you wish I'm laughing at ya

bye :wave:

Last edited:
Your imagination is running away again .. chip ? you wish

bye :wave:

Okay so you don't want to allude as to why your so needlessly confrontational :( but lets not forget your the one that concluded your previous post with "bite me" not exactly a phrase someone would use unless the have a problem with someone?

Disclaimer

Bite me
You've got some spunk girl. It's nice to see someone stand up to the bully boys/girls. Not that I'm implying any if the posters on this thread are bullies:). To be fair to Pete his crit was valid and not rude at all. I can only assume there is previous history :shrug:

You've got some spunk girl. It's nice to see someone stand up to the bully boys/girls. Not that I'm implying any if the posters on this thread are bullies:). To be fair to Pete his crit was valid and not rude at all. I can only assume there is previous history :shrug:

It interesting that you raise this as I have once seen and to my shame been party to and unsavoury episode on this forum, however it's damn rare on this forum I'm glad to say and to be honest from what I remember of Helen I've never seen her "bullied" on the forum maybe she has been I don't know but I doubt it as its just not this forums style as I've seen...however I do think that some people confuse negative critique as some sort of personal attack on the person who shot the photo, personally I've not seen much of that on the forum..and I'm glad of it, comments are purely directed at the photo with a view to helping the shooter improve if that's what they want and it's a general assumption if you post in a critique section that is what your after..

As a side note the last time I personally remember interacting with Helen was when she posted her distress at the passing of a loved one who myself and countless other members were quick to offer our condolences, do you think this is the action of people that would look to bully someone, I think not...I know you said that your reference to bullies was not targeted at anyone in the thread but to be honest I think it was the wrong word to use as bullying implies it's personal/vindictive and that just so rarely happens on here

I'm proud to say that over the years I've been a member here I've enjoyed the company of countless numbers of members from across the country on meets I've attended and meets I've organised, and I count a few members as good friends..

Wasn't this user once blocked for some time after shouting at people who were simply critiquing her photos?

Wasn't this user once blocked for some time after shouting at people who were simply critiquing her photos?

Yes but in fairness it works both ways..... There are some that will critique Helens just to push buttons ..

Sent from Button Moon.....

It was a mistake posting in this part. I asked for it to be moved and has been

I've not posted anything for CC is some time.. like others that have send support and have themselves stopped... just sick to death of the snide digs

No I'm not going to get in to a tit for tat, I've said all I'm going to say.

Last edited:
Sorry I did not plan it out and pay £25 to go up the Shard on the off chance... silly me.

leaving the teddy throwing aside - going up the shard wouldn't have made for a great lightning shot either, if you wanted it in the picture probably the best location would have been from accross the river. and the not wanting to plan is why pictures like this are just snaps -- if you want something decent some effort is necessary.

Disclaimer

Bite me

I apologise most humbly from the very heart of my bottom for daring to critique a picture that was posted in the critique forums (at the time) - frankly i'd rather be one of those who spends there time on here giving useful and constructive critique to people who by and large want it , than to be one of those who posts for crit then throws all their teddies on the floor if anyone says anything other than "its simply wonderful" - you need to grow up

Ok, last I'll say... silly me but...

An observation ..... looking at your posting history, you seem to have an opinion on just about everything yet little or no images of your own which reminds me of an old saying.. talking the talk...

Useful and constructive ... hmm... in your opinion which does not seem to have any worth going by the above, there is no evidence that you know any more than any other poster.

So forgive me for not holding you in the high esteem you seem to think you deserve.

A quota from another member... I have seen amazing images on here and people just can't help themselves picking up on the tiniest little fault.

This does not just apply to you, but many others...

As for toys, you are making a hell of a mess chucking your :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back