Lightpainting Torches - Which?

Name
Lewis.
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello readers,

I have been trawling through hundreds of very biased web reviews and threads within this very sight. Answers coming few and far between i thought id ask the probably over asked question.. Which torch?

Basically I want something for light painting when hopefully the clear frosty nights finally get here. I don't want to spend a fortune say 40-50. Basically something with adjustable focus for use in a range of scenarios when shooting startrails (trees, buildings, cars, scenery..) you name it. Something with the furthest throw that can go from wide angle to narrow focus as successfully as possible i presume? Running on standard AA batteries also to make my life much easier!

What you own or recommend i look forward to hearing about and if you've examples of them in use these may be priceless.

Thankyou, apologise for such a mickey mouse question (y)

LED lenser torches are popular. Powerful and lightweight and a broad spread of prices. Maybe a P7 or similar. I've got an X 14. Very powerful but I use it as an all round torch as well as for light painting.

Anything LED and powerful will work.

I use a litepanels video light and a Klarus torch. Neither are cheap but both are great.

Orlagh%20and%20Kevin%20Print%20Ready%20615.JPG

Last edited:
LED lenser torches are popular. Powerful and lightweight and a broad spread of prices. Maybe a P7 or similar. I've got an X 14. Very powerful but I use it as an all round torch as well as for light painting.

Thankyou for this have been looking at lenser theres just too much choice!

Don't see why you need adjustable focus, if i'm honest. I have used a version of this on light paintings both inside & out.

http://shop.theaa.com/store/view-all-1/aa-multi-function-led-inspection-lamp

Funnily enough i use something very similar I just find the light scatters too much making focusing difficult and I figured adjustable focus allows for better coverage of whatever the foreground object might be.

I think having adjustable focus gives you more versatility. Lenser have a lot of choice and I struggled to choose. Eventually I decided what was the farthest I realistically wanted to light up. In my case rocks in the sea. I then bought the torch that could throw it's beam half as far again. That was the X14. Would recommend it and lenser toanyone. Impressive build quality and when I think of all the money I've wasted on torches that have ended up in the bin I should have bought one ages ago.

Last edited:
I think having adjustable focus gives you more versatility. Lenser have a lot of choice and I struggled to choose. Eventually I decided what was the farthest I realistically wanted to light up. In my case rocks in the sea. I then bought the torch that could throw it's beam half as far again. That was the X14. Would recommend it and lenser toanyone. Impressive build quality and when I think of all the money I've wasted on torches that have ended up in the bin I should have bought one ages ago.

Thankyou for this my kind of recommendation! My only concern is the 'paying for the name' and complaints of poor battery life!

Get yourself a set of sanyo eneloop rechargeables if your going to be a heavy user. I have a couple of sets that do various photographic duties and find them excellent.

I guess theres no such thing as a free lunch. It's finding the compromise between power and battery life that will work for you.

Last edited:
Been looking into this too. Just bought the one in Dave's link above. And another similar one from the same seller. See which I prefer, and how long they last, before buying more for the car, caravan, house, etc

Ive just bought a really good led lenser, sorry, can't remember which model but it's around £130 and comes with a free mini penlight. 650 lumens I believe, bright, so bright, focus able, adjustable power also. Stunning torch, though slightly more than you want to pay, but I've used it to light aveburys stones at night ;)

Back