Lightroom 5 - HDR

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
hello

Sorry for daft question but....

My camera (Fuji X-E2) doesn't have the built in HDR feature but it does have various bracketing tools. My question is if you use LR5 how can I convert the images into 1 ?

I know LR6 does this now but do I have to use an additional piece of Software and import/export them ?

I use a mac also

many thanks

No additional software needed really... That is... On Windows... In Lightroom CC...

Try...
- Import your bracketed images into LR
- Select them all
- Right Click (whatever the mac equiv is) and select Photo Merge > HDR (Cmd+H?)
- Profit

Might be a mac user along soon to let you know the specifics.

Last edited:
thanks

hmm I don't have Lightroom CC just LR 5 so is that different ?

I have Lightroom 5 and as far as I'm aware it cant handle bracketed images. I occasionally use Photomatics when needed.

I have Lightroom 5 and as far as I'm aware it cant handle bracketed images. I occasionally use Photomatics when needed.

That's my bad then. I think I had 5 before I went for the subscription service. At the time I didn't think there was anything new. Seems I was wrong.

Lightroom has so many hidden gems it can be difficult to recall them all.

Had a look at the differences on the Adobe site last night and the only reason I would consider upgrading to 6 would be for the HDR merge function.

Creative Cloud offers more than the perpetual licence tho.

Check out Photomatix, IMHO it's the best of the HDR softwares, looks a bit daunting at first with lots of options and sliders, but once you get your settings worked out it's a piece of cake, it'll even batch your pics while you eat your dinner... Although I do like to fine tune and tweak mine. ;)

Check out Photomatix, IMHO it's the best of the HDR softwares, looks a bit daunting at first with lots of options and sliders, but once you get your settings worked out it's a piece of cake, it'll even batch your pics while you eat your dinner... Although I do like to fine tune and tweak mine. ;)

+1 for photomatrix. I use it for work and it's great. Takes a bit of getting used to though, have a look at tutorials if you get it.

Nik Software also offer a good HDR feature, but for the price of that you may as well upgrade to LR6/CC

But yes you are correct, there is no way to handle HDR/merging multiple shots within LR5

I have used Photomatix before, but it is all too easy to go OTT and turn your shots into the clown sick images you see all over Facebook, Niks is a bit more subtle, and LR6/CC even more subtle again (which is how it should be IMO)

Last edited:
Nik Software also offer a good HDR feature, but for the price of that you may as well upgrade to LR6/CC

But yes you are correct, there is no way to handle HDR/merging multiple shots within LR5

I have used Photomatix before, but it is all too easy to go OTT and turn your shots into the clown sick images you see all over Facebook, Niks is a bit more subtle, and LR6/CC even more subtle again (which is how it should be IMO)

We've tried this and tp be honest we had nothing but problems, we just coudln't get it to work properly, we tried several different computers and a few downloads but we kept having crashes, freezing and just hassle. Now I love Niks silver efex (whick worked fine on the same computers) but the hdr even on the odd occassion it did work was just seriously slow, and thats on modern high speck pc's. We gave up in the end.

We've tried this and tp be honest we had nothing but problems, we just coudln't get it to work properly, we tried several different computers and a few downloads but we kept having crashes, freezing and just hassle. Now I love Niks silver efex (whick worked fine on the same computers) but the hdr even on the odd occassion it did work was just seriously slow, and thats on modern high speck pc's. We gave up in the end.

I haven't used it in a while, but never had any issues with it, saying that mine is an old version before Google bought it

Thanks for the replies folks - I think I might as well upgrade to LR6

Next decision will be buying as opposed to paying monthly !

I
Thanks for the replies folks - I think I might as well upgrade to LR6

Next decision will be buying as opposed to paying monthly !
f you choose the upgrade version via the adobe website it was £59 when I went from LR4 to LR6. I've not used the pano stitch or merge function in LR6 yet but it will be easier than exporting to PSE then back to LR.

I've used the Nik HDR tool successfully with Lightroom 5 CC, albeit only the trial and it worked fine for me. The trial has long since expired and I've now moved onto Lightroom 6 CC

Back