Lightroom + M1 Mac + Canon R5

Edit My Images
Yes
I have a new M1 MacBook pro and I have transferred over everything from my old iMac, without an issue. However, Lightroom simply will not allow me to import any photos from any location even though the RAW files are clearly visible on my new iMac pro. I have reinstalled LR several times, and I allowed a technician from Adobe an hour and a half access to my laptop yesterday to try and see if the issue could be resolved. All to no avail. I have the latest version of LR installed (version 5), the one specifically for the M!, but no joy at all. I was advised to contact Apple.
So, I suppose a couple of questions really.....a) anyone have any ideas as to what the issue could be? b) can anyone recommend a decent alternative to LR (which is what I am used to) that would work with my setup?

Not familiar with your setup but sometimes things like this are down to Permissions.

Have you allowed LR to access the folder so it has read write access?

Other than that no idea.

Can you import jpg files or RAW files from other brands?
(You can download those from anywhere, for example dpreview provides RAW files and JPGs of their tests)

The first thing I would do is use the Disk Utility app to run first aid on the drive(s). There's a lot of settings that could be a bit messed up by transferring them to a new system rather than fresh installs; especially if the new computer is running a newer OS version.

The first thing I would do is use the Disk Utility app to run first aid on the drive(s). There's a lot of settings that could be a bit messed up by transferring them to a new system rather than fresh installs; especially if the new computer is running a newer OS version.
:plus1:
Not only OS, it's running on a totally different architecture.
Hence I went with a fresh install of everything instead of a time machine restore.
Took me longer but everything works dummy smoothly.

Also lightroom/Adobe software is notorious for not removing everything when uninstalled.
Either have to delete stuff via. command line interface (terminal) or use software like CleanMyMac

Last edited:
Can you see the RAW files in Photos? It might be related to the codec for the RAW files?

I can see the Raw files in Photo, no problems. As an upside, was given 3 months free subscription for software I can’t use. I like this idea of CleanMyMac.

CleanMyMac has caused problems in some machines I have been asked to sort out...

You name it. Errors, slowness. Stuff that users complain about.

I've never had any issues with Clean My Mac.

As far as your issue goes, I've done exactly the same thing as you in the last 3 weeks. Bought a new 14 inch M1 MacBook Pro and switched from my iMac to this, however, I did a clean install of macOS Monterey on my new MacBook, I then downloaded and installed all my apps, including Lightroom, I've not had any issues whatsoever.

I don't think using the 'transfer from' option is a good idea when going from Intel to M1, just my opinion.

Sounds very much like a permissions problem. What process did you use to transfer the files from your iMac to your M1 MacBook Pro? What directory are you attempting to import new photos into? Are you moving them or copying them?

I've never had any issues with Clean My Mac.
To be fair to the software, my issues were a few OS generations ago.

You name it. Errors, slowness. Stuff that users complain about.
hmmm.... interesting. May be its a bit over zealous in what it does.
My missus uses it with no issues and my brother had it for a while he used macs (now moved back to windows).
I manually clean things up (and bugger up things too sometimes but I can fix those myself too).

Worst comes to worst I am not against doing a full clean install of the OS and starting from scratch.
just loses me an hour or two but I am normally back up and running pretty quick.

Hi nandbytes, ss I put above, it may be down to experience with previous versions, which would account for the problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It put me on the right track. I used the Migration assistant to transfer files from my old iMac. However, I ensured that I didn’t migrate any Creative Cloud files. A clean install of Lightroom then resolved the issue. Thank you.

Back