Beginner Lightroom or Photoshop

Hi Rob,

My thought process was to have 1 cloud drive for the SOOC files alongsidethe PC, and the other cloud for the finished work. I am a Pc man, would my 2 bay nas not be the same as using a Raided external drive?

I did look at the Huion-H610, they can be had for half that price off the Bay.

NAS will be ok Saul but not as fast as a Direct attached drive, if your manipulating large RAW files you really want them local so when it writes to them it doesn't slow it down.
I suppose one test you can do is try one local and try one of your NAS, if you find it acceptable then leave it and enjoy :)

Lightroom catalogues stuff and i know a fast drive helps when your scrolling through the masses of photos, my father has the new Intel PCI-E drive which runs at a whopping 2000 M/B second thats 4 times faster than a normal SSD, and when he scrolls there is no lag whats ever no stuttering nothing, even on my retina iMac with uber fast drives i get some stutter now and again...... Just give it a go and mess about Local copy vs NAS copy etc.....

Also if you want use Sync Toy from Microsoft this will sync up all your files between your relevant folders... great tool....and you concentrate on 1 :)

I'm in the same position, I've had the free trial of Affinity and tried Picasa and all the other free stuff I could find, also the Nikon downloaded stuff but it's Lightroom I've really clicked with, the free trial will run out soon, so I just have to decide between LR6 and CC. I used to think Apple's Photos was OK when I was just using a bridge camera but it doesn't work well alongside Lightroom, so I've stopped using it altogether now.

Just q quick question, how many back up of photo's do you guy's normally make? I have 2 (main pc and nas) and am now thinking of using cloud storage as another option .

It is up to you to decide how many you like. Everyone is different and they do their work in a different way. But no matter what everyone do, it seems there is always a minimum of two. The original and the backed up.

It can't hurt you if you decided to have a third set, maybe even a fourth if you want to. But more than four would be kinda pointless.

If you are thinking of cloud storage, then go ahead, just remember that: Once your files are backed up to the cloud, you do not have any control over what happens there. For example, if the company that runs the cloud storage went bankrupt and closed down, or their data centre had a fire, and they lost all your backed up files. So you would be thankful to have a backed up set on your NAS.

Equally, if some crooks breaks into your house and took your computer, and took your NAS, then your insurance pays you a new computer, you can't get your originals reinstalled from an NAS if it was stolen too, so thankfully you can then download from the cloud.

I have original on PC, main back up on NAS, secondary back up on portable HDD which I then take away from home, so for me that's three. I rather prefer not to use cloud.

Can I ask, does the quality/calibration of the monitor play any part whilst you are editing your photos?

Would you prefer to see jet black on monitor, but when it prints on paper, it's somewhat kinda washed out dull black,
Would you prefer to see light blue on monitor, but when it prints on paper, it's somewhat normal blue, or maybe darker blue,
Would you prefer to see yellow on monitor, but when it prints on paper, it's bit dark yellow, it looks kinda like grass green on paper
Would you prefer to say "Hey! That printed out paper don't look anything like the image on the monitor! The colours are all wrong!"

If you don't mind that and prefer it this way, then the answer is no, don't worry about it. But if you want to try to get a closer match between paper and monitor, then answer is yes, calibration of the monitor and printer do play a major role.

Back