Lightroom profile - Sony A7iii

Gary.D

Hoodie
Name
Gary Derbridge
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there

I am wondering what Profile fellow Sony photographers find the best one to use in lightroom. I have always used Adobe colour however, I have also always struggled to get the look I am after with skin tones from the sony files. Do any of you find the camera matching profiles better suited?

Thank you,
Gary

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 09.42.38.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 09.42.38.png
    414.8 KB · Views: 5
Lately I’ve used the PT Sony profile in lightroom, it’s better than Adobe but still needs tweaking imo

I produce bespoke profiles for all of my cameras using X-Rite colour checker and Adobe Labs software.

Dave

Adobe standard is always a better starting point than Adobe color. The former is flatter and more neutral allowing you more processing latitude. Your camera may also show Adobe standard 2 or something like that in which case maybe use that. Adobe portrait may also be a good starting point; in my experience it is almost identical to standard.

Before I produced bespoke profiles, I used Camera Standard which, at the time, was recommended by Canon for Canon camera. It was certainly the closest to my calibration profiles. Adobe standard was next best but I cannot see Camera Standard in the list now. While fully calibrating end to end may seem over-the-top for amateurs, having done this, the profiles were applied by LR automatically as the profile is associated with the specific camera by model and serial number. A friend who was a wedding photographer used two identical model Nikon DSLR's but they produced different colours which is hopeless for a wedding. One he calibrated both, he can now switch camera any time without having to worry about colour differences. Since a LR update in late 2021, the bespoke profiles are now applied by means of a preset but this enables one to remove all other defaults in LR for sharpening etc.

Dave

Another vote for Color Fidelity. For me Adobe is a touch too magenta and the Sony ones are way too green and somehow dull looking. I usually adjust the green hue a touch towards yellow too so that the greens aren’t as garish.

Another vote for Color Fidelity. For me Adobe is a touch too magenta and the Sony ones are way too green and somehow dull looking. I usually adjust the green hue a touch towards yellow too so that the greens aren’t as garish.
This may be of interest to other club members as few will bother to produce bespoke profiles. To do so, you will need a colour checker passport which costs around £100. However, I have created profiles for 5 cameras now so it has paid off. While Color Fidelity are producing a profile for each model, be aware that the colour can vary significantly between two cameras of the same model hence the bespoke profiles being linked to the serial number. I never need to fiddle with colours unless I am trying to create a special effect.

Dave

This may be of interest to other club members as few will bother to produce bespoke profiles. To do so, you will need a colour checker passport which costs around £100. However, I have created profiles for 5 cameras now so it has paid off. While Color Fidelity are producing a profile for each model, be aware that the colour can vary significantly between two cameras of the same model hence the bespoke profiles being linked to the serial number. I never need to fiddle with colours unless I am trying to create a special effect.

Dave
Very true, and it may be something that I look at in future, however I don't plan on changing my camera for some time. That being said I guess it will also depend if you want accuracy or 'more pleasing' colours (y)

Back