Lilly Macro

Edit My Images
Yes
I took this yesterday.. and basically I'm unsure whether it "works" or not.

The original was in yellow, but I thought that the textures and form of the stamens/carpels became lost in the yellowness when it was in colour, so I converted to B&W to bring it out more.

I just wanted to know what people thought of it, and how I could improve it?

Thanks in advance for any comments :)

IMG_1859-01.jpg

(For info - The spots aren't a dirty lens. They're part of the lilly pattern)

I'm not keen on B&W macros, they don't seem to work in my eyes. Great comp and exposure, I would like to see the colour version.

OK, will process it and link to it. Don't want to get put on the naughty step for posting more than 1 pic in a day ;)

I see what you're saying though. I did originally do it because I loved the colour/texture combo, but the yellow just didn't do it for me. I always seem to have a problem with yellow stuff not working.

Colour version here

Can't get the colours in the left hand corner right. I tried a white piece of card behind the lilly when taking the photo, but it didn't look right. I want to get them grey/neutral, but my PS skillz aren't enough.

Composition looks fine. Problem seems to be is that it depends on the diagonals of the filaments and style supporting the stigma and anthers....and they are just too indistinct against the background. Maybe the same type of flower in a different colour would work better?

And yes I did have to look up what the bits are called :)

That's a very good point actually. I'll just have to get the BF to buy me some more flowers and try again ;)

The B&W is a bit meh! isn't it, but I happen to think that the original colour shot is much better, and the yellow is just fine.:)

Back