Linkin Park @ The O2

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
So, I got to photograph Linkin Park at The O2 in London last night. Being my favourite band this was a dream come true. It was also the first time I'd done any concert photography. How do you think I did?

music photography was my forte, don't know how you managed to bag this as your first one but well done buddy, its fun isn't it ? :) i think you've done really well, though don't expect other gigs to be this well lit. the grubbydives are a nightmare to shoot in, you've grabbed some well timed shots here and processed them well :) keep it up :)

music photography was my forte, don't know how you managed to bag this as your first one but well done buddy, its fun isn't it ? :) i think you've done really well, though don't expect other gigs to be this well lit. the grubbydives are a nightmare to shoot in, you've grabbed some well timed shots here and processed them well :) keep it up :)

Thanks! It was a competition prize :D I really enjoyed it, something I'd love to do more of for sure. I tell you, I hate that horrible red and the blue lighting, just completely washes over their faces making them unusable to be honest, which is why quite a few are b&w here. I've never had to learn so quickly either, only having 3 songs to get the shots. I started out in AV, then had to go to manual because it just wasn't working out. I know I wanted at least 1/400th to freeze them, the meter on my camera kept saying "no you're under exposed use a larger aperture or longer shutter".

Unfortunately they don't give the impression of a huge band in a big venue, shooting a little wider gives the impression of scale.

The images are a bit 'flat' Perhaps a little lightening around the faces would lift a lot of the images as well as removing some of the spurious distractions in the background, in 11 and 16 the spotlights can be removed, they bring nothing to the images, especially when brighter than the artist's face.

In number 3 darken away that white line from the bottom of the bass to the right hand corner.

Number 2 you cant see the drummers face, in the crowd its difficult to get different angles on things but if you're in the pit try and move to get an unobstructed view of the drummers face.

in 12 I'd lighten the neck of the guitar and his raised hand

Gig photography is a difficult genre, its like street photography, in the dark. You have no control over the subject and no control over the lighting. you just have to do your best to shoot whats there.

But the main thing is you enjoyed it and hopefully its encouraged you to do more.

If you do more.. then fast lenses are the key F1.8 / 2.0 / 2.8 are the order of the day even in well lit venues and get used to horrible colour casts from lighting :)

Back