Links to send Premiership Rugby photo's?

Name
sam
Edit My Images
Yes
I am lucky enough to have some friends at a senior level in a Premiership rugby team. One of the directors has said if I want I can come along to any home games I fancy and take photo's pitch side. I have no interest in making any money out of it. But might go along a few times (to the bigger games Leicester) for a laugh. Sort of have a few beers and take some photo's. After the games he's said I can get some shots of the players, and can even get some in the dressing rooms before and after the game with the players.

So given I have no interest in selling them, I thought it might be cool to see if any newspapers wanted to publish them. Does anyone have any email contacts for who I could send them to at newspapers? If you know any decent rugby websites or blogs I'd also be up for knowing?

I think it would be nice to keep the cuttings and show them to any kids or grandkids I have. Thanks

Christs sake, how stupid are you, and how stupid do you think we are to give you that information, you do realise that every image you send to the papers for free is one less image a pro/semi pro can get paid for

Think about what you have just asked pro and semi pros to provide then sit back and wait for several well deserved arse kickings

Christs sake, how stupid are you, and how stupid do you think we are to give you that information, you do realise that every image you send to the papers for free is one less image a pro/semi pro can get paid for

Think about what you have just asked pro and semi pros to provide then sit back and wait for several well deserved arse kickings

I'd hope that my images were not competing with someone who expected to get paid for it... It's hardly like I am planning to make a career of giving images away. I have a job which I am very happy with and a friend has said if I fancy I can come to again game I want and take some photo's... The world is not going to stop turning.

It's not all too different to someone taking photo's of their kids team and putting them online. So calm down and stop being emotional about it!

why not just google some well known papers - though whether they'll be interested may depend on if you're any good - personally I'd rather use images from a pro than a half cut amateur

also is premiership rugby like premiership football in terms of licencing ? If it is I'd be very careful to make sure you aren't breaching any terms

I'd hope that my images were not competing with someone who expected to get paid for it... It's hardly like I am planning to make a career of giving images away. I have a job which I am very happy with and a friend has said if I fancy I can come to again game I want and take some photo's... The world is not going to stop turning.

It's not all too different to someone taking photo's of their kids team and putting them online. So calm down and stop being emotional about it!
Just go away, you havent a bleeding clue.

why not just google some well known papers - though whether they'll be interested may depend on if you're any good - personally I'd rather use images from a pro than a half cut amateur

also is premiership rugby like premiership football in terms of licencing ? If it is I'd be very careful to make sure you aren't breaching any terms

Thanks - I'll do that. I just wondered if anyone had any links to any sports editors I could send them to. I was also wondering if I should stick the shots on flickr or something and then email them saying use what you want as long as you stick my name at the bottom.

Thanks - I'll do that. I just wondered if anyone had any links to any sports editors I could send them to. I was also wondering if I should stick the shots on flickr or something and then email them saying use what you want as long as you stick my name at the bottom.

Its best to email them a tiny file with an enormous watermark on it and ask them to email you back if they are interested... picture editors love that *

*nb this isn't entirely true - but you'd have the same chance with a flickr link - if you want a picture editor to take you seriously make their life easy by sending them the files they need with the appropriate info in the meta data and the files named as they require - if that seems like too much hassle why not forget the publication and just get p***ed and have fun and leave the newspaper pictures to the pros

Just go away, you havent a bleeding clue.

I've decided to rise to this.

What right do you have to tell people what they can and cannot do? If I chose to take some photo's and send them off and don't want any money that is my choice. It has nothing to do with you. If I decide I'd get some pleasure out of having a photo I've taken in a newspaper that's a personal decision for me. Assuming you are a professional sports photographer, then maybe you are not confident in your ability next to a rank amateur out to enjoy himself and get drunk. I don't know. But you certainly have a chip on your shoulder.

Your small minded attitude is no different to Jessops crying and winging that people sell gear on ebay. Or Wayne Rooney kicking off because people will play pub league football for free, and worrying ManU are going to take them on because they are cheaper. It's really quite pathetic.

If you don't wish to share any email links then don't. But don't come calling people names because you don't like the fact that they are willing to do something for a bit of fun.

Its best to email them a tiny file with an enormous watermark on it and ask them to email you back if they are interested... picture editors love that *

*nb this isn't entirely true - but you'd have the same chance with a flickr link - if you want a picture editor to take you seriously make their life easy by sending them the files they need with the appropriate info in the meta data and the files named as they require - if that seems like too much hassle why not forget the publication and just get p***ed and have fun and leave the newspaper pictures to the pros

Thanks. I'll try emailing any newspapers before I go to any games and asking where to send any shots. I'm not mucking around with a laptop or any of that nonsense until I get home, so I'll probably be too late. But I appreciate the advice.

Your small minded attitude is no different to Jessops crying and winging that people sell gear on ebay. Or Wayne Rooney kicking off because people will play pub league football for free, and worrying ManU are going to take them on because they are cheaper. It's really quite pathetic.

to be fair to gary its closer to you going into jessops and saying "I'm thinking of setting up a camera shop - have you got any good tips ?"

The bottom line is you are free to do what you like, but expecting working sports pro's (which I'm not hence why I've reacted more temperately) to help you undercut them is at best naively optimistic

to be fair to gary its closer to you going into jessops and saying "I'm thinking of setting up a camera shop - have you got any good tips ?"

The bottom line is you are free to do what you like, but expecting working pro's (which I'm not hence why I've reacted more temperately) to help you undercut them is at best naively optimistic

That's fine. But I've not walked into Jessops - that would be me emailing Gary or walking up to him when he is working. I've come onto an amateur photography website and asked. If he didn't like me asking he could have chosen to ignore it.

That's fine. But I've not walked into Jessops - that would be me emailing Gary or walking up to him when he is working. I've come onto an amateur photography website frequented by dozens of hard working sports pro and semi pro photographers and asked them the best way of taking money out of their pockets. If he didn't like me asking he could have chosen to ignore it.

Corrected for accuracy

So what about the guy actually working pitchside trying to eek out an honest living, please dont tell me youre not competing with him by sending free photos to the very same paper he sends photos into expecting to earn an honest bob, if you want to see your name in print go rob a bank

Last edited:
That's fine. But I've not walked into Jessops - that would be me emailing Gary or walking up to him when he is working. I've come onto an amateur photography website and asked. If he didn't like me asking he could have chosen to ignore it.

I can't decide if you are being deliberately obtuse , or are just a bit naïve - but although you've asked on a website frequented by amateurs sand pros's you are asking for info that pro's are likely to have , and if you look at it from their perspective why should they help you undercut their market ?

end of the day I'm not going to get drawn into the argument , but if you put yourself in Gary's shoes you might appreciate why he's less than impressed with your request.

one final point - if you aren't going to process pics during the games you can forget the bigger papers sports desks - your best bet is to find a small local paper (many of whom are tighter than a gnats chuff and never pay for pics anyway) who might print your work - that way you get what you want in a reasonable relaxed manner and you don't have to worry about competing with pro's

Last edited:
So what about the guy actually working pitchside trying to eek out an honest living, please dont tell me youre not competing with him by sending free photos to the very same paper he sends photos into expecting to earn an honest bob, if you want to see your name in print go rob a bank

Again - what about Wayne Rooney trying to earn a living when people will do it for free? My images would/should not compete with someone who makes a living from photography. And even if they do, again that is my choice. I gave my mum a lift to the airport a couple of weeks ago - think of the poor taxi drivers.

If a photographer can't make an honest living from his choses profession then he could also rob a bank. Then he'd have the money and his name in print. Win win for the photographer. And an equally stupid idea!

I think you'll find this site caters for all photographers - amateur, semi-pro and full time pro?

I can't decide if you are being deliberately obtuse , or are just a bit naïve - but although you've asked on a website frequented by amateurs sand pros's you are asking for info that pro's are likely to have , and if you look at it from their perspective why should they help you undercut their market ?

end of the day I'm not going to get drawn into the argument , but if you put yourself in Gary's shoes you might appreciate why he's less than impressed with your request.

one final point - if you aren't going to process pics during the games you can forget the bigger papers sports desks - your best bet is to find a small local paper (many of whom are tighter than a gnats chuff and never pay for pics anyway) who might print your work - that way you get what you want in a reasonable relaxed manner and you don't have to worry about competing with pro's

Thanks. I think your final paragraph is what I will aim for. Appreciate the advice. I'll still try sending them to the big boys - but appreciate they will want them more quickly than I can be bothered to send them.

My images would/should not compete with someone who makes a living from photography.!

they shouldn't but they will - increasingly papers are taking low cost over quality - our local paper has been known to print pictures taken with phones from the stands before now - some papers even solicit this sort of stuff for hard news "be a reporter, send us your pics"

while I can see the temptation for the man in the street to see his pics in print, I can also appreciate why it p***es pro's off.

(our local paper has also recently issued entry level DSLRs to its journalists - the logic being if they can take pics then the paper doesn't need snappers :bang: )

Last edited:
I think you'll find this site caters for all photographers - amateur, semi-pro and full time pro?

Great - then the pro's should understand this and not call people "stupid" for not being interested in making money from photography, and being happy to have something to show their kids one day (possibly). It's a two way street - I didn't start verbally abusing anyone, I just had to put up with Gary's onslaught for asking a question.

they shouldn't but they will - increasingly papers are taking low cost over quality - our local paper has been known to print pictures taken with phones from the stands before now - some papers even solicit this sort of stuff for hard news "be a reporter, send us your pics"

That's a shame. However I don't take my camera to the rugby usually. I got offered a chance to do something I thought would be cool. One of the directors said that as I knew most of the players they would let me get into places they don't let most people so I might like it. The idea of crouching like the pro's do all game has zero interest to me, but for a couple of games I honestly thought it might be worth it just for the experience. I can't see many interested photographers throwing away that sort of opportunity.

Great - then the pro's should understand this and not call people "stupid" for not being interested in making money from photography, and being happy to have something to show their kids one day (possibly). It's a two way street - I didn't start verbally abusing anyone, I just had to put up with Gary's onslaught for asking a question.
Its nothing at all to do with someone not being interested in making money from photography but it is about that same person taking money away from someone who does make money from photography

That's a shame. However I don't take my camera to the rugby usually. I got offered a chance to do something I thought would be cool. One of the directors said that as I knew most of the players they would let me get into places they don't let most people so I might like it. The idea of crouching like the pro's do all game has zero interest to me, but for a couple of games I honestly thought it might be worth it just for the experience. I can't see many interested photographers throwing away that sort of opportunity.
Theres absolutly nothing wrong with that Sammy

the other thing that occurs to me is , does your mate know you are aiming to get these pics in the media ? - if not you really ought to clear it with him , as he (and the club) may well have rules about this sort of thing and you could get him into a s***load of trouble if the club isn't cool with it

he may well think he's just giving you the chance to get some shots pitch side for your own interest and experience

Last edited:
Genuinley, are you serious.

You are great at cutting out most of people's comment. I am assuming that you feel the other parts wouldn't make you look so good.

And yes I am serious - if you feel threatened by a rank amateur having a bit of fun then you need to take a look at yourself. I don't even have the equipment to be a professional photographer - I just wanted to do something a couple of times for fun.

the other thing that occurs to me is , does your mate know you are aiming to get these pics in the media ? - if not you really ought to clear it with him , as he (and the club) may well have rules about this sort of thing and you could get him into a s***load of trouble .

Sorry - I won't go into details on here. But the mate is very very senior in the club. He's not someone on the gates. I know most of the players/management and it was his idea that I could do that. I don't even want to say what club it is, as one I'm not sure if I will do it and two I'd rather not advertise that they are letting people. But there will be no problem for the club.

you could also look at sending the pics to photo magazines (if they are any good) these virtually never pay for pics on the reader submission pages so you wouldn't step on any toes

Sorry - I won't go into details on here. But the mate is very very senior in the club. He's not someone on the gates. I know most of the players/management and it was his idea that I could do that. I don't even want to say what club it is, as one I'm not sure if I will do it and two I'd rather not advertise that they are letting people. But there will be no problem for the club.

even if your mate is the chairman - it would be a good idea to check he's cool with you getting the shots in the papers... I gather it was his idea you could take shots, but does he know you are going to submit them to picture desks ? (also if he does if he's that senior in a big club he probably knows a bunch of editors and media group directors and is in a much better position to help you get printed than anyone here)

even if your mate is the chairman - it would be a good idea to check he's cool with you getting the shots in the papers... I gather it was his idea you could take shots, but does he know you are going to submit them to picture desks ? (also if he does if he's that senior in a big club he probably knows a bunch of editors and media group directors and is in a much better position to help you get printed than anyone here)

Cool good idea - I'll have a word and check with him. The club actually have a media department so I am sure they will be able to send me in the right direction. Appreciate the advise.

Hmmm, this thread appears to have gone rather wild.

To supersammy, you should expect a negative reaction from those who are properly, formally accredited as press photographers for such events.

You may want to consider enjoying yourself with the access you have been offered, which sounds very open. However bear in mind the things that the accredited guys will all be thinking about, such as what would happen if something went wrong and a top player tripped over you and broke their arm or something equally unlucky. Accredited photographers will have to carry indemnity insurance for such an event.

Additionally, were you to want to send some pictures to newspapers you would need a billing relationship with them to get paid which you wont have. So one assumes that your aim of sending the pictures to the papers is for vanity purposes. You should consider the reaction this would have from those you may find yourself sitting next to pitchside. It's also unlikely a paper will be interested in a changing room shot unless there is something massively newsworthy in it eg some rumpo with the cheerleaders or a post cup final trophy and champagne celebration. So demand for your pictures is likely to be non existent.

My recommendation is for you to respectfully enjoy your potential access for personal purposes, and go out of your way not to do anything to annoy your fellow properly accredited photographers. Don't bother sending your pictures to the papers. You will learn a lot just by watching the accredited folks and not even raising your camera to your face.

Also note that you will not be able to post your pictures yourself due to restrictions imposed by the league.

If you were to follow this advice you might enjoy yourself and not commit any disastrous faux pas. Best of luck.

Sammy, if this is a wind up, knock it on the head mate or I'll start dragging up all of the little fibs that you've bounced between here and 'the other' website to make yourself look bigger and better than the rest.

If it isn't then grab a reality check. What you are intending to do will directly affect working photographers. There's absolutely nothing that anyone can do to stop you, so crack on if you want.
Just remember that papers will use anything given to them for free and it will be in no way a recognition of your level of photography - quite the opposite in fact. If you want to prove yourself,
then compete on an open playing field and submit your shots to the papers and periodicals like everyone else; ie with a fee attached. Cash in the pocket is a much better feeling than an utterly useless credit.

If, on the other hand, you can persuade the club to pay you to take shots for PR purposes, then that's equally valid. Otherwise you are just another mug with a camera who is being exploited.

However if you are going to go down this route, then do your own damned legwork and find the contacts and titles yourself. No one is likely to help you on that front.
I'd also be a bit careful about what you say pitchside with the other photographers. Some of them can be a bit robust in their attitude at times.

I rather hope for your sake that this is a poor wind up!

As a big rugby fan (did you mention Leicester :)?) go and have a great time. You're very lucky indeed to get that sort of access - both to pitchside and players.

Rugby is a relatively small sport compared with football, but still has a good following, including online. Why don't you approach some of the online publications who probably don't have a meaningful budget to pay for "proper" photos - therugbypaper, planet rugby etc. with some of your photos and see if they're interested in them. The only other comment I'd make as a hobbyist myself is: if you're not doing it for profit then please don't get in the way of others who are... this is people's livelihoods we're talking about here.

As a big rugby fan (did you mention Leicester :)?) go and have a great time. You're very lucky indeed to get that sort of access - both to pitchside and players.

Rugby is a relatively small sport compared with football, but still has a good following, including online. Why don't you approach some of the online publications who probably don't have a meaningful budget to pay for "proper" photos - therugbypaper, planet rugby etc. with some of your photos and see if they're interested in them. The only other comment I'd make as a hobbyist myself is: if you're not doing it for profit then please don't get in the way of others who are... this is people's livelihoods we're talking about here.

No I didn't mention Leicester. Although they might have been who I was alluding to when I said big games. I'm a season ticket holder anyway, so I know the atmosphere. It just seemed like a good chance. Anyway I've realised this isn't the place to ask.

From the look of things though - Northampton are the big name team in the midlands now :)

That said - I did try and make it clear that crouching on the ground wasn't my thing. The people who earn their living are not going to get the access I would get so it's all a bit academic anyway.

Sorry, I'm not talking to you now :p

(Not being in the premiership final for the first time in years still hurts!)

Seriously... enjoy and good luck.

Hey atleast Saracens have overtaken you as the most hated team in the Prem.

More interested in next season to be honest. Am looking forward to seeing if Crofty can manage a season without falling apart. Remember when him and Crane came through and I honestly thought the pair of them would be England powerhouses. Injury and poor form have spoilt it for them. Still think Croft could get a place for the world cup if he reaches his potential. Going to be hard for him with the current England back row though.

Must be nice for you to watch a decent team on Sky/Bt compared to that Scottish rubbish!

Hey atleast Saracens have overtaken you as the most hated team in the Prem.

More interested in next season to be honest. Am looking forward to seeing if Crofty can manage a season without falling apart. Remember when him and Crane came through and I honestly thought the pair of them would be England powerhouses. Injury and poor form have spoilt it for them. Still think Croft could get a place for the world cup if he reaches his potential. Going to be hard for him with the current England back row though.

Must be nice for you to watch a decent team on Sky/Bt compared to that Scottish rubbish!

Fingers crossed... it could be an exciting season. Crane has definitely been disappointing over the years... unfulfilled promise etc. Shame. He's looked great at times (for both Tigers and Saxons) but never really delivered for England. Croft is just a player who can't be easily replaced... he's not a classic 6 by any stretch but if you want that gun in your arsenal, he's pretty much the only one around.

I do miss going down to Welford Road but, to be fair, the atmosphere at Glasgow is really good. It's a small stadium (7k or so) with standing and seated... really good buzz. I obviously don't have the same passion as I do for "my" team, but I'll still cheer them on raucously and have a great time. It's also very family friendly which is just like being back at WR (or FG or most other places outside of the Shed).

Fingers crossed... it could be an exciting season. Crane has definitely been disappointing over the years... unfulfilled promise etc. Shame. He's looked great at times (for both Tigers and Saxons) but never really delivered for England. Croft is just a player who can't be easily replaced... he's not a classic 6 by any stretch but if you want that gun in your arsenal, he's pretty much the only one around.

I do miss going down to Welford Road but, to be fair, the atmosphere at Glasgow is really good. It's a small stadium (7k or so) with standing and seated... really good buzz. I obviously don't have the same passion as I do for "my" team, but I'll still cheer them on raucously and have a great time. It's also very family friendly which is just like being back at WR (or FG or most other places outside of the Shed).

I've got to be honest - I sort of feel having Waldrom in the team held him back. Crane peaked very young (wasn't he about 19 when they were talking him up as an England player?), and I sort of think that he was never allowed to develop naturally into the position. But that's just my opinion.

Crofty was always a strange one for me. He's had some horrible injury luck but he's also put in some amazing performances. I've not seen him play for a fair while now, but if he still has that epic pace he will add something in the back row to any team including England. If Danny Cipriani is being touted as an England player he has to be.

I've never been to Glasgow to see a game, but I'd like to if I ever get the chance.

At the moment I'm more interested in the start of the Premiership. It should be an epic season, loads of teams who are in with a reasonable chance of making the playoffs. And all the lads trying to make a name for themselves before next year. Should definitely be interesting and entertaining. As an England fan I think the team has been a bit flat for a few years, so I really do hope all the players are willing to use this season to literally break/smash their way into the squad and show they warrant the shirt.

Back