Lion Cub, Chester Zoo

CJR

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
This little chap is 5 months old. He was out playing with his keeper and having chicken for lunch. Because his parents are not caring for him, he's off to a zoo in France next week to join a happier family.

30D, 100-400 handheld, shutter priority 1/320, f5 to 5.6. ISO 400.

this one has been heavily cropped.
Zoo_20080112_018.jpg

used soft light blending mode to increase contrast on this one - but is the background too distracting?
Zoo_20080112_022.jpg

Zoo_20080112_037.jpg

C&C appreciated, as always.

Thanks.
Cathy

They're all good photos. You have to feel sorry for the little chap being abandon by is parents.

To you question. I do think the background is to distracting in the 2nd pic.

Number 3 's the best, its the action you've caught him in for me.

I am glad to see this lovely animal outside, I have taken photos of him while he was inside. You have done really well to get rid of that fence. Personally I like the third one due to the background.
It is a shame he is going to france, as I think he is so cute. I will miss him.

I like the way you've captured the little cutie looking
a little sorry for himself.
I love his pose in No3.
Perhaps a little sharpening in no 1 and 2 .

First shot feels a tad soft, and could use a little tweak levels wise.

2nd shot is a corker if it wasnt for that strange Bokeh in the background

3rd shot is the best as is, great shot a great little character :)

I love the third one too.

Shame he's moving to France..........I'm almost considering an emergency trip to the zoo tomorrow to see him off.

#3 for me! (y)

Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback. I'll have a go at sharpening no 1 a little more, but I don't know how to proceed with fixing the background on no 2. Perhaps one to return to in the future when my PS skills have improved. Thanks for positive feedback on no 3, it was a lucky capture as he was playing hide and seek with his keeper, and moving very fast!

He's leaving the zoo on Tuesday, if anyone wants to see him before then. Apparently he is out in the mornings whilst mum and dad have to be shut inside, and then the adults are out in the afternoon.

Cathy

Hi there,
Great pictures of the little chap. My name is Chris and I was the keeper outside with Tejas today! If you happen to have a any nice shots of myself and the cub I'd love to see them. We're all going to miss him a lot but it's for the best that he is leaving and that he can go with a female cub and learn to really be a lion!
Again, great photos!

Hi Chris, what a coincidence!! I'm afraid I don't have any pics of you and Tejas together, but I met another TP member this morning, Keith H I think he is on the forum, who was taking a lot more of you both, so hopefully he will see this thread and have some for you.

It was so lovely to see Tejas today, as my visit to the zoo was a spur of the moment thing, and I didn't even know he was there! I wish I could have done him justice better in the photos.

Cathy

I think your pics are great! The third one is my favourite as that's so typical of him stalking one of us. He's a real little character! And although he looks cute he's got some serious teeth and claws now! Good for him but not so good for us!

:)

Chris, I have some photos of a younger Tejas while he was inside, and I know some of the others on here do as well, so if you were inside with him as well when he was younger might be worth letting others know what you look like and we can have a look for you.

Sorry for the hijacking of the thread Cathy.

Hi Cathy, love your photos, nice too meet you too, just back back from Geneva, Chris I have some photos of you & Tejas, it'll probably be Monday before I get to sort through them as I'm off to Paris tomorrow. I'll pm you when I sort through them.
regards Kevin (y)

of them all 3 is my favourite.

when it comes to animals I like to see their character rather than just a "animal in stock pose number 5" type shots IYKWIM.

one of the reasons I think I fail to get great shots often (if at all) is I am looking for that character too much and miss the shots. Mind you one day it will all come together.

Thanks to all who have pics! I did spend time inside with him. I haven't got a gallery of my own yet but I'll add a photo to my profile and then you'll know what I look like. I guarantee that no photos will be misused and I won't be taking credit for anyone elses great shots.
Glad to see that the little chap means a lot to other people as well as us keepers! We'll all miss him but he's off to bigger and better things and a new playmate...at least I'll be relieved of my duties as chew toy extrodinaire!
Thanks again
Chris

Oops - sorry Kevin, for identifying you as Keith!

Mind you, I got my own name wrong as well didn't I? :LOL:
Introduced myself to you as EOSCathy - too many forums with too many different names, I can't keep track!

Thanks for your comments re the photos, I'm really looking forward to seeing yours.

Cathy

Sue, no problem - it's not a hijack, I'm just so amazed at the coincidence and that we can all get some pics to Chris.

Pingu, thanks very much. My animal photography is still rather hit and miss - I'm always forgetting to check all the settings on my camera, and not realising until I've taken (wasted) several shots. I took quite a few of Tejas using the 100-400 lens on aperture priority which was giving me a shutter speed of about 1/80, so you can imagine how they came out - all because I'd forgotton that with that heavy lens I need to use shutter priority (1/320 or 1/400) and accept whatever aperture it gives me. As you say, one day it will all come together from the start!

Cathy

Nice shot's Cathy (y) Will miss the little fellow, spent a lot of time waiting my turn to take a photo, he was the star of the show. Like Matt & Sue, most of my shot's are of Tejas when he was inside, only got shot's of Tejas & Alan when they were outside, sorry Chris :crying:

Thanks very much, Pikeman. I'm going to rework number 2 as the more I look at it the more the dodgy background spoils it for me.

Sounds like lots of us here are regulars at Chester Zoo, and Kevin did mention that there have been some TP meets arranged there - I'd certainly love to come along to one, if there is anything in the pipeline.

Cathy

Cathy keep an eye on the meeting place section, me and matt normally post up when we are going to be going.

We're overdue a trip out there actually.

We've been members for 18 months but I don't think we'll be renewing this year, I'm really not happy with the new Orang house - hate it.

Might change our minds though if we end up going out there a few more times between now and July when we're up for renewal.

Sue and Matt, thanks, will certainly be keeping an eye out for meets at the Zoo and elsewhere in the NW.

Deanlewis, thanks very much!

Here is a reworked number 2. Just levels and curves, then some gaussian blur on the background to tone it down a bit, and sharpening just on the cub and foreground. I think it's an improvement .... WDYT?

Zoo_20080112_022_2.jpg

Cathy

Thats much better Cathy

I'd even go as far as to say its spot on.

Sue thinks so too :)

My new favorite ;)

Cathy, #3 all the way for me. For the simple reason that in 1 and 2 the cub is obviously on a man made platform. #3 looks a little more natural/in the wild.

All great shots though!

thanks Brocks and InaGlo.

Apparently Tejas' mum is pregnant again, and hopefully will be a better mum this time so her cub(s) won't meet the same fate as Tejas and his twin. Wonder if they will be around by the time of our Zoo visit in April.

Cathy

Hi there,
Great pictures of the little chap. My name is Chris and I was the keeper outside with Tejas today! If you happen to have a any nice shots of myself and the cub I'd love to see them. We're all going to miss him a lot but it's for the best that he is leaving and that he can go with a female cub and learn to really be a lion!
Again, great photos!

Hi Chris,

I've got some shots i took of a keeper with him inside, send me your email addy and i'll send them to you if you like? they were taken on/around 28th January? He's playing around and is so cute..

Let me know

Em

Cathy, I think all 3 images are great, but i agree with above the 3rd is awsome :D

Well done :D especially well done for getting rid of the mesh, should see my outdoor ones with the Lioness they are horrible because of the mesh! i can't get past it :(!!!

:D Congrats on excellent exposures :D x

Back