Critique Little brown fella...chiff chaff?

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
An early start yielded little really,but, close to home I picked up this guy hunting a blackthorn hedge. It was bliss he did this several times had me chuckling so funny as we meandered down the hedge. It's lovely really. every now and then how one can find a bird or animal that would normally flee and it doesn't just checks out what the hell that clicky thing is and then goes back to it. Little guy was really going through the flowers would it be aphids or necter??? he.she was after something else???
Guys definite ID would be cool,I at first thought willow warbler,but a bit of digging says dark legs= chiffchaff,this has those, visible in other frames.

Dpp4 processing cropped to around 75% usual gear 1Div and 300 f2.8 extiii 1.4

1/8000 yeah I know but the little guy was all ways so fast
f/5
iso1250

_70F4046 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

critique thought fun welcome
take care

Stu

Chiffchaff as good a guess as any Stu with the colour, legs and location ... he certainly had his eye on you :D

Nice shot, I think he spotted you. :LOL:

My money is on a warbler, possibly wood or willow but I'm probably wrong. :p

If it is a Chiff Chaff and Stu did not hear it he must be deaf

Last edited:
If it is a Chiff Chaff and Stu did not hear it he must be deaf

He he well said Bill ahh mate you make me laugh:cool: My hearing actually isn't great buddy, but I def. can hear chiff chaff:). Little guy was utterly silent the whole time I was with him

Dale,that's exactly where I went at first but the leg colour is wrong,at least for a willow warbler I didn't check wood warbler,it seemed willow and chiffchaff were the most commonly confused. Dale he did this several times it was just like he was curious and had to keep checking what that big green clicky thing was. We did the whole hedge together say around 150yards. Ironically later that day acting on a tip about kingfishers we found another feeding in exactly the same way on exactly the same plant (blackthorn) only this time the bird had pink legs. So there must be something to do with blackthorn flowers that appeals to at least 2 of the 3 species mentioned.

Cheers Roger his behaviour was utterly enchanting ,I can't remember ever having a warbler behave like this with me,I guess I was really lucky.
Guys, thanks for all the replies, here are 3 more as much as anything because it might just help with an ID ha and because he was such a little star to photograph.

_70F4059 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F4021 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F4071 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care guys

Smashing set of pictures Stu, well captured normally they are away so quick you can only just see them.

Trev.

Smashing set of pictures Stu, well captured normally they are away so quick you can only just see them.

Trev.
Trev thank you. But yes, exactly, that is my experience too,and I guess that is why this particular experience was such a joy. Normally it's a little brown dot in my frame here the little fella knew I was there was curious but somehow I didn't freak him out at all. Trev I would have been in full camo gloves face covered bla da bla,this may or may not be a factor. in him not being off to the next county.My movement would have been very calculated. It wasn't a hide senario just me and a bird moving down a hedge Simply though, for me, I got lucky:), a special little fella , made me day.

thanks for the kindness

take care
Stu

Beautiful set of pictures Stu. Dare I say you're getting the hang of this photography lark? ;)

Wez, they are good tools bro,I feel i'm scratching their surface love the learning , I think there are occasional good days and one hell of a lot of OMG you XXXing idiot moments:rolleyes: , my ability to mess up is wonderful mate but seriously cheers man, so kind,.... little steps huh. Wez I feel there is more to be had . ahh mate I can't process them yet properly i'm sure there is more it's only tweaks ,hmmm computer says NO!!!! lmao:D while tearing my hair out

thanks kiddo

take care

Stu

Back