Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
LittleEgret_m2512vnfxs.jpg

^ #1

LittleEgret_m2514vnfxs.jpg

^ #2 [EDIT: This is horrible! Far too red and even noisy! - Re done below]

^ #2A

Both images totally uncropped and on Canon 400mm F/5.6L on 7D Mark II on monopod.

All comments welcome :) Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
shadowy white birds are difficult - work on the WB at little - I know that the sun is out

I think something is not quite right with these two images, Robin :thinking: - They appear extremely noisy for a 7D2 at ISO 1000
Are they very large crops, or has something strange happened during post-processing?

Russ

....Both images are totally uncropped (as my original post states).

Russ @Rustydon , I have just checked out my post-processing on #2 and setting Levels to Auto has brought out 'noise'. Thanks for spotting this! I will re-do it and also check #1.

WB was untouched at 5812 K (AWB), Bill.

And my Canon is set at 'Faithful' picture style so that no internal effects are applied to the RAW file.

Last edited:

^ #2A

I would appreciate any comments about whether this might be improved any further. Info is on Flickr.

There's a fair amount of dynamic range so not easy.

I actually prefer the first shot to the one your trying to improve. The light is much more natural on the white plumage.

The second looks as though your working to make the bird white which is starting to look a bit odd and having an effect on the water.

Thanks for the feedback, Phil - always helpful :)

Yes, I agree - I prefer my image #1 too but I am trying to rise to the challenge of getting what I can out of #2. As you say, there is a fair amount of dynamic range to cope with and the high white areas are a bit blown so I have been trying to rescue any detail in the whites while keeping the bird a white bird and not becoming a grey bird.

It's a few hours since I worked on it this morning and so I'll revisit it again with fresh eyes. This #2 image has now become an exercise for me to learn how to best cope with such originals.

Hi Robin
Sorry I couldn't get back sooner! Clearly you have a difficult subject here, and the angle of the incident light does not help either. The originals and edits all show a level of colour noise which I simply can't explain - I am not familiar with Aperture, so I do not know how it copes with different kinds of noise in your image. I haven't noticed similar problems with your other 7D2 shots before.
In 2A you might like to try reducing the blue saturation level on the whole image to see whether you can reduce the blue tints from the feathers - other than that I am at a loss!
After all of your effort, it is a shame that more cannot be salvaged from these shots - perhaps some of the more experienced PP experts on the forum can offer more advice?

Russ

Hi Robin
Sorry I couldn't get back sooner! Clearly you have a difficult subject here, and the angle of the incident light does not help either. The originals and edits all show a level of colour noise which I simply can't explain - I am not familiar with Aperture, so I do not know how it copes with different kinds of noise in your image. I haven't noticed similar problems with your other 7D2 shots before.
In 2A you might like to try reducing the blue saturation level on the whole image to see whether you can reduce the blue tints from the feathers - other than that I am at a loss!
After all of your effort, it is a shame that more cannot be salvaged from these shots - perhaps some of the more experienced PP experts on the forum can offer more advice?

Russ

Thanks Russ :) Your input is very helpful. Your mention of Aperture caused me to look at settings on another image I am PP-ing and I think that the latest version 3.6 has had some changes such that a couple of adjustments are more aggressive when on the same numerical values as the previous version. So, my new workflow is now less adjustment on Detail and Definition and hence providing a smoother and potentially less 'noisy' result when finally Smart Sharpening in Photoshop.

However, that still leaves other colour issues for me to solve in #2. I will post another version of #2 in due course. I have only been shooting RAW and PP for nearly a year and so there is still so much more to learn! @the black fox

when i,m faced with with a difficult one to get right robin ,rather than using the aperture first then photoshop to finish way ,i export a 16bit tiff file (untouched) straight into ps6 and edit the whole thing from there ,it takes any mistakes your making in aperture out of the equation .if you need any help you have my phone number .
trouble is you have chosen a really bad subject matter that is lit by a harsh winter light as well and unless the original file went bang and smacked you across the face because it was so right ,then its best just to write it off and move on .the other alternative is to buy something like a nikon D810 that has a better dynamique range to start with .in this game every things a compromise or costs you mega bucks to start with

when i,m faced with with a difficult one to get right robin ,rather than using the aperture first then photoshop to finish way ,i export a 16bit tiff file (untouched) straight into ps6 and edit the whole thing from there ,it takes any mistakes your making in aperture out of the equation .if you need any help you have my phone number .
trouble is you have chosen a really bad subject matter that is lit by a harsh winter light as well and unless the original file went bang and smacked you across the face because it was so right ,then its best just to write it off and move on .the other alternative is to buy something like a nikon D810 that has a better dynamique range to start with .in this game every things a compromise or costs you mega bucks to start with

....Thanks, Jeff. I'll try that export direct to Photoshop later - Meanwhile, I have got some better/easier images to edit.

Changing all my Canon gear to Nikon and a D810 is absolutely not an option! For a start, I prefer to use a crop-sensor body.

Btw, I don't have your phone number - You have always phoned me :)

Robin, just bin them and hope you will get a better opportunity and move on

the shots are poor in all respects

Robin, just bin them and hope you will get a better opportunity and move on

the shots are poor in all respects

....Oh, thankyou, Bill.... NOT !!!!

Regardless of whether either of these shots are okay or not, they offer an opportunity for me to LEARN something about post-processing. As you said yourself: "shadowy white birds are difficult ".

....Oh, thankyou, Bill.... NOT !!!!

Regardless of whether either of these shots are okay or not, they offer an opportunity for me to LEARN something about post-processing. As you said yourself: "shadowy white birds are difficult ".

I would think that for every 20 shots I take there are only 1 or two that I would want to keep ….. probably just one, until the next time ……. if you do not start with a good basic shot there is little that can be done

Stop wasting efforts in PP and go out and look …….. you cannot make a "silk purse out of a pigs ear"

just get real

Back