Critique Little egret

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
My first real venture out with the new brick,just a walk around home really. We have a bit of a scrape that I actually thought would have dried up,with the lack of rain,naturally I go and see the day before it starts raining here. i've been so pressed of late I haven't kept check on what's going on at home so have just realised the photo ops i've missed. i've never seen a little egret here before and I also caught up with a piper,I think wood. So I had a wonderful time yesterday. when I roe went for a swim and I missed it all due to being head down yards away from the egret I could have screamed,but such is wildlife. I only realised the roe was there when it was on me...hey ho, I started on 800mm but had to admit defeat and swapped the 2X for 1.4,as everything was too close,so much for reach.:eek::D

Guys this is with the 2x extiii,be brutal about IQ please I want you honest opinions ,yeah I know its a small jpeg!! It's the first real time i've used the 2x with the 400DO coupled into me fumbling about with my new camera 1dxii whici've only had for days. I have only made images of an egret once before if memory serves so pretty much everything is new here little processing skills with a white bird plus differnt files to what I'm used to. Tell ya what though with time for me to get my act together having 800mm that is hand holdable is something Af seems great ,and I know i'm not getting the best out of it all as yet!!

It's early in the day but sadly the light got harsh quick really tricky handling the whites i'm just a little concerned about the finer detail but with so little experience kinda want to ask what you lot thought 1/1600 f8 iso 3200 cheers for any thoughts in advance

take care

stu

_S2I7730sm j by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

A nice, frame Stu, glad you finally got your new toy - well done on the graft. Trouble is now - no excuses!!

ISO 3200 is a breeze with this kit, and I'm guessing you've seen what Arash and others have done with the 2xiii on that lens, so I'm afraid its all down to you now! You have the fieldcraft down, no questions there, your techs in the field seem pretty good, just that final bit of polish in post now - I know you're working on it.

Maybe a couple of little tweaks here might help. Heres the layer stack I tried on it, with the uppermost layer (the curves) showing what I did to the curves as well.

Screen-Shot-2018-07-28-at-13.59.10.jpg

I started with layer 1 which was a duplicate of the background layer (ctrl+J). I gave that layer a contrast mask, which is Filter -> Sharpen -> unsharp mask, and use settings of 'amount' 15% and 'radius' 65.

Layer 2 is a dodge and burn layer, Click and hold down 'alt' then click on the little icon at the bottom of the layers panel that looks like a sheet of paper with the bottom left corner folded over. A box will appear. Use the drop down box to select 'overlay' then tick the 'Fill' box directly below it. Choose a very soft brush and set an opacity of 10% (press the '1' key for a shortcut). Use the 'X' key to toggle between a white brush and a black one. When you use a white brush the areas affected will go a little lighter, when black is selected they go darker. Bit of trial and error needed here.

Finally, I did a curves layer to give more mid-tone punch as per the example above.

Not saying this is right - to be honest its probably a little OTT - but maybe a few ideas for you to muse ( I know you like that word ! )

42971409534_0ecfe4ac74_o-RP.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
ha ha the only excuse I've ever had is i'm not the best tog in the world, and brain dead with digi it all still stands buddy:p:D TBF my brain and digi are a match made in hell Mike,I've pretty much had a head ache since new the camera got here. I'm getting there slowly mate ,but feel it will be a goodly while before I really know it inside out,even coming from another 1series body ,god it's a jump...well it is to me at least !!

Yup very aware of what Arash has done in part my reason for these tool choices that and as you say this FC thing I have going on means reach isn't always a blessing. So I went for the lighter 400DO to a more usual 500f4 that most use for wildlife as for some reason I seem to get that bit closer

PP: cheers for the edit. mini tutorial ^^^ Mike to me your version if far superior to my effort,your looks polished. it pops more,I don't think OTT,but your eyes are more experienced I did use a similar curves layer: top half of curve similar to yours,but bottom half I lowered the quarter slightly.I've not thought that through properly the bird being white is where i've been caught out.I think?? You have sharpened a bit more agressively than I did I was a bit wary of making things look over done sharps wise .

That burn layer/contrast mask is a complete unknown to me mate i'm going to have a play in a while if the power cuts don't scupper me. That is a fabulous little tip mate worth all your efforts thank you !!

Mate the files from the two cameras are very different, even in dpp.it feels like i'm starting over,processing wise The noise seems lesser for starters and also seem more maliable?? The low light high iso files aren't anywhere near as blue either.

Mike one question is the IQ up to par ?? A little egret isn't a familiar subject at all to me. i'm just trying to get my head around the IQ of this 2X 400DO combo,

Mate I'm stunned by how good the eye looks in your edit,thanks as always a huge help. especially that burn contrast mask. i've coupled in many of your pointers into my work flow mate like the curves layer for example

Ha ha cheers on the graft: two years being robbed :( learn trade head down;) Leave:banana:, start over, another year and nearly done now...bar a camper.:rolleyes: Not been an easy road this but I'm stoked to be here now,these tools will last me for ages hopefully,something for me as an image maker to grow into ,i'm only really lusting for something "wider" lens wise not really pondered yet and a bigger tripod for that odd occassion

Thanks mate:) !!!!

stu

Ay up Stu,

I think the IQ is fine - but it does need that final polish to really make it sing.

Layer 1 (the contrast mask) isn't quite the same as sharpening, even though its done via un sharp mask. Getting a bit technical now, all I care about is it works! If you think its sharpened the frame too much, then highlight the layer, click on the word 'opacity' towards the top of the layers panel and drag your mouse to the left to lessen the effect - return it right to strengthen the effect back again.

Layer 2 is the dodging and burning, and ever since I learned this way of doing things I've used it a lot.

Personally, I'd be happy with the IQ here, loads of detail there just waiting to come to and play!

Mike

Brill,(bit of a rush bro:oops: :$) but brill. Thank you very much indeed Mike . It looks to be a fine simple technique mate,right up my street. also it really makes a difference with the above . I've a rake of frames to sort out. i'll have a few to keep for sure and plenty to practice on.

sorry brief must dash
cheers muchly:D

Lovely work Stu and kudos to Mike too with the crit and explanation. I liked the original but I can now see the extra push it needed too.

Awesome stuff.

Not bad for Canon gear :p

Detail looks cracking Stu and Mikes edit has given it a nice boost, lovely shot mate (y)

Stu,
What an awful first post with your new brick, I would get rid of it immediately!! ;)
Hope you enjoy your new toy with all its added expense!! (new software, updated PC and LOTs of storage for all the keepers!! Me jealous, never!!
A wonderful helpful post from Mike, makes a difference - I have to say that I find egrets a difficult subject to get a 'good' photo.
Look forward to seeingyour rewards!!
TFS(y)(y)(y)

Not bad for Canon gear :p

Detail looks cracking Stu and Mikes edit has given it a nice boost, lovely shot mate (y)

dude it's not the marque compromising things ,it's the XXX behind it :D Ha ha fit this one in landscape bro:p

Phil being serious for a mo. Thanks on the IQ as I mentioned I am a bit unsure at this time in the IQ detail aspect appreciate the honesty I know you lads will tell me straight if it isn't right thank you. Phil i'm not up on nikon I have more than enough to learn as is:banghead: But you nik guys have those wonderful sony sensors with alot more pixels in many cases,which naturally can translate to detail so assing IQ isn't always the easiest thing , to get one's head around. Obviously the 2X is also a huge factor. I know what awesome image maker a like Arash Hazighi can do with these tools but I'm not them,. Some folks wont even consider exts,becuase of the image degradation

Oh mate,I mentioned roe to you : I was on form this particular morning with roe pretty much messed it all up lmao:D First one my glasses steamed up so badly ,it was still and hellish humid just before first light. Fella came to me and I simply couldn't see him at all. The second I made a stalkers choice,to make a quick move when egret put head down,DOH.....there was a roe other side of hedge I jumped thorugh:banghead: I tracked that one and fired a few half hearted frames. shot with auto iso. Mate they are not keepers, and my tracking was rubbish,but I'm gobsmacked by what iso 200,000 did:eek: I'm really hopeful this body is going to open a little doorway for me. The last I actually got but was so close it was silly;)

thanks buddy i'm going to have a crack at another in a mo,see if I can put Mike's thoughts into process .

Lovely work Stu and kudos to Mike too with the crit and explanation. I liked the original but I can now see the extra push it needed too.

Awesome stuff.

Dale I won't embarass Mike any more than I have in the past:) but yes exactly it is awesome. It's being shown how this post aspect can really polish up a frame to me the two edits are almost chalk and cheese.

ha ha work to be done mate,I've got to get my head around what he's shown us.

'ere guys is a contrast mask the same as a luminosity mask??

thanks buddy

I'll embarrass Mike a little more, this forum needs more like him. (y)

Hey John cheers for the words mate,ha ha new PC covered at chrimbo last...needed it for PSCC john,my boy made it for me. How can he be so awesome with computers and his dad so braindead,,,,hey ho. I don't know how it will cope with 4K video though??? God John the video side does interest me but the price of cfast cards and that sheer volume of data might mean I'll wait a while before exploring. I have more than enough to go at anyway.

John yup all credit to Mike he's probably helped every poster in this thread !!

I think I have made a few frames previously of them. I remember way back reading a post by Roger about them being tricky and tried to put what I could remember from that into practice. TBF john it was a fantastic chance I had plenty of time my subject knew I was there on the floor and was utterly unconcerned as was that little piper which was nuts. The fact that I was on the floor with them also a massive help

These images were made just after sunrise so the light was that bit softer,although the change was quick!! So I pretty much had it all mate,which meant I could simply focus on the blinkies and framing etc.no struggling with the confines of a hide.. My only sadness was the preening session,I got a lovely set of this and a very fluffed up birdy,but the fella was facing away,ahh mate what a shame.

I can't complain I honestly wonder whether I'll ever get such a chance again it was wonderful mate

thanks kiddo

Cheers Dale, the wine is in the post!
B*gger....... beat me:p

mate is a contrast mask the same as a luminosity mask(not used Mike but I've read of luminosity masks) ?

Cheers Dale, the wine is in the post!

Mine's a :beer:. ;)

Seriously, it's this kind of post that we all benefit from. My biggest in camera bad habit was under exposing, to control the whites, not a good thing as it turns out for reasons I now know. It's something I picked up on and learned here.

I'll be watching this thread in the same spirit, every day is a school day.(y)

Dale I won't embarass Mike any more than I have in the past:) but yes exactly it is awesome. It's being shown how this post aspect can really polish up a frame to me the two edits are almost chalk and cheese.

ha ha work to be done mate,I've got to get my head around what he's shown us.

'ere guys is a contrast mask the same as a luminosity mask??

thanks buddy

Stu, The contrast mask is different to a luminosity mask. The contrast mask I leaned from Artie, this is what he calls it, other people may use other names.

A luminosity mask is a different beast entirely, and is a way that the program will select certain pixels for alteration depending upon their brightness (there are other methods but lets keep it simple here!)

As a trial, go to your layers stack and click on the bottom layer - the background layer. You need to open up the 'channels' palette, and there will be 4 parts to the channels stack. The top one will be the RGB channel. Click on that RGB channel and drag it downwards onto the icon that looks like a circle that's been broken into dots.

On your photo you'll then see lots of marching ants. The selected areas will be the tones 50% brightness or brighter, and it creates a mask automatically based upon the brightness values. The mask is automatically feathered which is really useful. At this point you can make further adjustments - I normally just target the very brightest area but to be honest I don't known the keyboard shortcuts for a PC.

Then click on the top layer and choose what type of adjustment layer you want to use. I normally use a curves layer. Drag the line downwards in the curves box to see the changes

Mike

Dale's right every day is a school day!!

Mike much thanks,it is exactly that folks calling the same process by differing names,where I get confused. Cheers for putting me straight mate,it needs to all be simple don't think you will ever patronise me. :)

There are so many ways to execute post Mike,my heads spinniing a bit,just the difference in files from the two cameras in DPP is throwing me. Haha.............. thought I was ok with dpp but even that feels like stating afresh. it's all good though

Great stuff:cool:

thanks again mate

stu

Congrats on your new rig, Stu - I’m looking forward to some even more stunning hare shots matey :)

Russ

Thanks Russ, seriously lovely of ya mate. . Wow it's a big jump Russ,it's going to take a while to get my head around it all.

Thanks again

stu

Back