Wild Little owl in June with walking shots added

den

Name
Dennis
Edit My Images
No
With the end of a dry(ish) May June as started a bit damp ,with the weather never stopping me visiting the owls I actually set up last night in the rain ,one to get shots but to also watch and observe their behaviour in wet conditions.While the female is only coming out a few times a day for a stretch and to do her business away from the nest I have to rely on the male being active ,strange thing is I got more visits last night on a miserable wet night than a dry clear night,i had the bird walk very close to my hide after dropping some morio worms on my way in to the hide ,not much I could do but watch ,luckily he popped on to a perch for me,it was also a lot wetter than it looks in the photo but well worth watching him View attachment 13006

super yet again den

Do you mind telling me what time were these taken?

Superb, I can`t wait for Julys shots.

Den
What can I say apart from absolutely fantastic I love your work keep giving us these wonderful images

Great shots Den, I was also sitting out in the rain watching mine last night :)

Just wondering what your set-up is - you're in a hide, presumably?

Do you think the bird is aware of your presence? Could it be the sound of the shutter firing that makes her look so intensely....

It must be great to enter into a relationship with a bird like this. Or am I reading too much into it?

Hi Jerry ,yes their is a hide,personaly i dont need one if i am just sitting and watching ,but for photographs the hide is neded,noise dosent bother the birds its movement ,as for the look of the bird its not the shutter ,i know as i watch them ,alien sounds etc get me those shots ,and take it from me the shutter is no longer a alien sound to them,as for the relationship with the birds its now nearly eight years with them...a total joy as these are hardy little birds and i dont think a lot of people realize just how small they are.

I can imagine their thought processes as they take another mouse in to the young.

"Oh it's that bloke again hiding away like that. He thinks we don't know he's there. Any minute now that machine will start clicking again......oh what the hell. He's harmless. Ho hum."

I notice you prefer subdued lighting.

I can imagine their thought processes as they take another mouse in to the young.

"Oh it's that bloke again hiding away like that. He thinks we don't know he's there. Any minute now that machine will start clicking again......oh what the hell. He's harmless. Ho hum."

I notice you prefer subdued lighting.
I prefer any light Jerry,i take what I can but I must admit at the moment I can predict when the bird comes in,wont last long though

the in flight shot is one of the best i have seen for a long time den .

Has there been some sort of cloning/healing effort on the flight shot? There's a messy looking bit in the top right corner which I find most distracting, leading my eye away from the subject.

A reasonable night tonight ,problem was a Green woodpecker calling nearby ,its location was given away by the owl who spotted him for me when he wasn't happy in his territory ,so after a few shots of the owl I took a gamble and moved to the spot were the owl shifted the woodpecker from to see if he would return, which he did ,also got some more flight shots but will post at a later date Little owl 6th June by den9112, on Flickr

Has there been some sort of cloning/healing effort on the flight shot? There's a messy looking bit in the top right corner which I find most distracting, leading my eye away from the subject.

hadnt noticed that until you said it. a bit tighter crop would have hidden that.

I cant see the previous comment Matt,but I can only presume its relating to the top right hand corner of the flight shot,i have done a tighter crop ,its were the grass ends and meets the rocks and I thought my superb cloning skills would look better than a big contrast from green to brown as it was a good chunk of it .PS a quick edit little owl by den9112, on Flickr

super shots yet again den ,well done

the crop is much better Den.

Some real belters in here (y)
i dont think a lot of people realize just how small they are.
I only saw one recently (captive, but cant remember where) and yes, I was very surprised at how small they are!

Back