Live View

arclight

Oooh that burglar's a cutie
Name
Doug
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone find this usefull?

Must admit that I cannot be annoyed with it.
All my instincts tell me to put my eye to the viewfinder and not look elsewhere.

very occasionally its useful, mostly when I want a shot I can't get my eye to the viewfinder for.

I'd not miss it if it wasn't there - but having said that some of my favorite shots (although not technically the best) have been taken with LV

Hugh

I use it quite a lot, but mainly for focusing on the night sky. It's much easier to get decent focus using the 10x magnified view. I've also used Liveview to sort out framing a couple of times, I think I've only shot the once using liveview.

I had it on my E-420, but never used it to be honest. With the in-camera metering etc I didn't really see the point.

I think the point is to help you compose in awkward situations. I've used it very rarely on my camera, but I can see its worth in certain situations.

Macro and still life work well with Live-View (even more so with an articulating screen)

Jeff Ascough has a mini-review of the 5d2 in the CPN magazine and, surprisingly, he named it as one of his favourite features. He talked about sitting at the back of a church and using the screen to zoom in and take almost silent pictures.

The two silent shooting modes on the 5d2 are pretty fantastic.

I only use live view when my camera is on my tripod very close to the ground.
Getting too old to be lying on the wet ground looking through the viewfinder! :(

I find live view invaluable for macro and close up work. I can easily compose using live view, check the focus, zoom in etc. I have also used it with landscapes. I would miss it now to be honest. For probably 90% of pics though I do use the viewfinder.

I use mine if Im taking macro stuff to zoom in for fine focus - and portrait stuff for fine focus.

I use it for the exposure simulator, if I want to see what the exposure will be like when in manual mode - saves me taken shots then knocking it down a few stops.

And I use it for self portraits with a mirror behind.

I use it for light painting by shining a torch where i want the focus, then painting the light.

Shall I go on?

I think the feature is excellent if you know how to use it, same as anything else when you learn to use it?

only ever tested it on mine, not used it at all lol

Me too and I found that when panning the camera "live" was not quite that. The live view actually lagged a few milliseconds behind reality.

I'll give it a go on macro some time.

I think if you have been used to cameras without Live View it's use seems less useful.

Its good when you cant get your eye to the eyepiece due to an awkward position. Also its great for macro where you want to manually focus - particularly when you zoom into the live view...

I didn't believe in live view...until I got it.

I find live view very useful, I certainly use it more than I expected to. I find it helps a lot when composing static scenes particularly. Landscape and architectural photography is a lot easier with live view. It really helps with Macro too, particularly zooming in and fine touching the focus.

In my opinion, I wouldn't want a camera without live view in the future. Its most likely one of those things you woudn't miss till its gone.

On my Canon 40D it is invaluable when working in the studio. Never use it outside though or as a general replacement for the eye piece.

Used it a few times on my 40D. Shooting over the top of a 6foot chain link fence when my 10 year old was feeding crocs in florida, holding the camera high above crowds to get band shots etc.

It's also been quite useful when framing the moon with the camera on a tripod.

It's not a massive feature for me, but occasionally helps

You can set up a shot in live view and use it to cycle through the white balance options to check which looks right.
If you watch the new Nikon online show its one of their tips. Only on the D90 up though.

Andy

Me too and I found that when panning the camera "live" was not quite that. The live view actually lagged a few milliseconds behind reality.

I'll give it a go on macro some time.

I think if you have been used to cameras without Live View it's use seems less useful.

Its really not meant for this. Live view is good for composing still life and portraits, Its excellent for composing in awkward situations but my favourite use is landscapes. I feel it helps alot in composition.

Steve

Its really not meant for this. Live view is good for composing still life and portraits, Its excellent for composing in awkward situations but my favourite use is landscapes. I feel it helps alot in composition.

Steve

I suppose another factor for me is that the viewfinder eyepiece adjustment avoids me wearing reading glasses whereas I'd need them for live view.

I can see some of the attraction of it for landscape work.

Live View is very useful if implemented well...it definitely needs to use an articulating LCD...great for tripod mounted low-lying landscape shots, unfortunately DSLRs have a little way to catch up with the best Bridge camera implementation of the technology

simon

ive found i can assign it to the fn button on my d700 so did

very useful when i was trying to photograph seasick steve over my head in the crowd and the other night over the keyboards to photo again

only way i could of looked through the viewfinder was isf i was 10 foot tall :cautious:

I find it's brilliant for low level shots (using the tilting screen on the A300) of wildlife in particular as I can place the camera on the ground.

I need reading glasses though so this is a bit of an issue as I rarely take them out with me.

I use it for Street shots where I don't always want to be seen to be taking a picture, and thus become the focus of my subject's attention.

Tried it yesterday for the first time to try a product photo,i quite liked it.:)

Back