Critique Loch Achtriochtan: Golden light in the pass of Glencoe

It's a nice view in nice light. I just think it's missing something, but I can't put my finger on it.
A nice bit of FG interest I think.

Probably but it was a race against time to get this - 10 secs later the sun went behind the ridge on the left. I just didn't have the time to compose better. My mate was driving and I saw the light as we drove along avd got him to pull in. If is been there 20mins sooner I'd have scoped a better spot.

Colour...light...subject; all beautiful.
It's just tge 50 / 50 aspect that buga me, but that's just a personal bug :)

Reactions: ST4
Colour...light...subject; all beautiful.
It's just tge 50 / 50 aspect that buga me, but that's just a personal bug :)

Even at 21mm and this is cropped ever so slightly to remove some crap on the lhs it's a real frame filler, the mountains here are really tall and enclosing. I'd hate to cut the reflections or the mountains by composing differently and the size of the subject doesn't give much Compositional leeway

I like it Steve including the fact you did not lift the shadows too much.

What is it with you and light, does it follow you around because it just bloody seems to avoid me :( Next time you go out I'm coming :LOL:

Oh and in case you hadn't worked it out I really like this

What is it with you and light, does it follow you around because it just bloody seems to avoid me :( Next time you go out I'm coming :LOL:

Oh and in case you hadn't worked it out I really like this

I follow it mate. I spot it and get who's driving me to stop. I only take the camera out the bag when I think the lights right

I love the shot Steve but I'm sure that waterline should be horizontal :thinking:. I will of course be corrected if wrong.

I love the shot Steve but I'm sure that waterline should be horizontal :thinking:. I will of course be corrected if wrong.

I think so too. I'd double check the camera gyroscope is actually correct since this slant has come up in a few shots already...

Nice reflection, nice light, nice mountains but something is missing for me to hold my attention. I don't really mean it in a bad way at all, just if I was flicking through an album, I don't think I'd be inclined to take a closer look. Maybe some foreground interest could've helped, maybe the 50/50 split makes it too samey... Maybe a panorama, and I don't mean a crop of this image, but a stitch of a few would look better with the reflection 50/50.

Like it Steve captured the light perfectly which makes the image ,It is the shape of the Loch here which tends to give it the appearance of being out of level ,the only thing i would do is loose the cars.

Maybe a panorama, and I don't mean a crop of this image, but a stitch of a few would look better with the reflection 50/50.

Why, surely it would just look the same or print a lot bigger. It's barely cropped, I can print this 5ft across and it would look ok given the sensor it's come off. Stitching also introduces that ugly V shape you see. Some do it better than others but as I've never stitched an image in my life I'm not sure it would be any good. Plus I don't need a 200mp file, a 36mp one is fine

Why, surely it would just look the same or print a lot bigger. It's barely cropped, I can print this 5ft across and it would look ok given the sensor it's come off. Stitching also introduces that ugly V shape you see. Some do it better than others but as I've never stitched an image in my life I'm not sure it would be any good. Plus I don't need a 200mp file, a 36mp one is fine

Because I think the 50/50 split looks more acceptable in a composition with the 3:1 format. Personal opinion though, and I realise it doesn't suit every situation.

And having never tried stitiching is a weak excuse, not to try. There are a million and one programs including photoshop that do it all automatically for you with decent results. I think I've only ever done in manually once a long long time ago!

I like it, it's a lovely scene, but what catches my eye is the white edge to the top of the left hand mountains. I sometimes get this in post processing at areas of high contrast.

Back