Critique Loch Awe Yesterday morning attempt at sunrise

this is probably my favourite set I've seen of yours, Steve. Particularly like number 2, just a shame they put pylons in such a place!

Reactions: ST4
Good set, the last is my favourite but the foreground rock looks almost as though it's been 'dropped into' the image ... might be inclined to crop or adjust that :)

The first image for me, some nice colour in the sky.
I don't like pylons so personally I would remove them.

I like three the best - nice light and subtle, restrained treatment.

Would have been easy to go a bit mental with the saturation on that pink sky.

The second and third are superb. I also like the first, but find it possibly a bit top heavy for me personally. Still would be happy to have taken any of them myself though. Also just to repeat..those pylons, what were they thinking!

I reckon at the 1st one, if we went down ten mins earlier we'd have had more joy with that sky.

It was a bit late...LOL. Slept most of Yesterday....

give or take some it was never the perfect fiery sunrise... simply wrong place at the right time.

give or take some it was never the perfect fiery sunrise... simply wrong place at the right time.

See, I'd argue right place, right time of day but on the wrong day. It was never going to be a super firey one, I wanna see yours as you were a bit further over with a group of rocks....

I think some evening in winter, reshoot here in the evening golden hour once we get some snowfall. It would look really really great and then be in position for the sunset afters.

See, I'd argue right place, right time of day but on the wrong day. It was never going to be a super firey one, I wanna see yours as you were a bit further over with a group of rocks....

I think some evening in winter, reshoot here in the evening golden hour once we get some snowfall. It would look really really great and then be in position for the sunset afters.

same thing really, just in different words :)

that's the best I could make from mine

a bit of sun on the castle would have made all the difference.

In number 2, I had 20 seconds of that light, and it missed the castle. I've never seen the castle shot that far down the shore, the movements nice. I am ok with two as the conditions and light breaks gave a massive dynamic range.

There's a line below the far horizon where trees/woodland start; they grow out of what may be grassland or a reedbed. I take that to be the most accurate level ground in the image, particularly as the lake edge more or less follows it. But it appears to slope downwards to the r.h.s.

In Daugardas' image it is horizontal.

I know I'm a picky so-and-so but these are the things I'd be looking for in my own images.

The easiest way to see is to scroll the page up so that the horizon is almost up on the browser toolbar. There is a very minimal tilt (less than 1 degree) in all but 3rd image. I suppose it is so marginal that camera meter no longer picks it up; and it is a right pain with a regular tripod head to get it any more level. No1 is a fairly unfortunate case because the land on the right creates an optical illusion. I would tilt it slightly outwards in this case even if it is technically wrong. That's why I like viewfinders with a grid - it makes composing easier.

Are you sure. What way is it leaning? I levelled it on my virtual horizon in camera. There's a ripple in the water further over but the reflections line up so I'm sure it's level plus the land is coming in on the rhs
There's a line below the far horizon where trees/woodland start; they grow out of what may be grassland or a reedbed. I take that to be the most accurate level ground in the image, particularly as the lake edge more or less follows it. But it appears to slope downwards to the r.h.s.

In Daugardas' image it is horizontal.

I know I'm a picky so-and-so but these are the things I'd be looking for in my own images.

I'm not sure if we can actually see the curvature of the earth.

What often appears on photographs is barrel distortion added by the lens. I use lens profiles in Lightroom but in my opinion it doesn't remove as much barrel distortion as it should with my lenses, Canon 24-105 or 17-40 mm zoom. So when there's a large expanse of horizon I add a bit of manual correction as well. Even then, sometimes I just can't seem to get it right.

My horizons are almost always sloping, no matter how hard I try! In my opinion the only way to get round it is to correct them as part of the processing routine.

I have shot in this location and tried to compose with the pylons (at least one) behind the castle,
Having said that you have three great images here Steve with no2 being my fave,I think sometimes it pays just to show the landscape as it is and not how we would like it to be.

I rather like all 3 though feel the last one suits my tastes the most particularly the mirror like reflections.

Pylons wise I'd leave them be, like you said they are very much a part of the landscape now.

I like your last one best. I think the light is better and the pylons are less conspicuous. The composition with the rock in the water and the clear reflection are very good.

Cracking set Steve :). I have the same issue near me (woodhead pass) with Pylons just about dominating the beautiful landscape and lakes. Right old PITA.

It's a great set of a great location. No. 2 for me is the stand out image. Great light on the surrounding hills

Back