Loch Farr - Scottish Highlands

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes

Loch Farr Fishing Boat - Scottish Highlands by Michael~Ashley, on Flickr

This spot is becoming a bit of a nemesis. I've stopped here a few times and the light is never as I'd like it. The boats are moored under a canopy of trees so there is always a huge contrast between the dark foreground and the sky off in the distance.

I passed through Farr today and thought I'd stop for another go. I took this and a couple of others, wasnt too happy so headed back to my car to fetch the tripod with the intention of trying an HDR shot to overcome the light dilemma.

Just as I opened the car door the heavens opened and it poured rain.

Jumped back in the car and as I was reversing to about turn, the song on the radio started - Crowded House : Everywhere you go - always take the weather with you - aaarggh.

To make the best of this I've adjusted the white and black points in Adobe Camera Raw.

Last edited:
Very nice. I particularly like the lines of the boat and how they help pull the viewer into the picture.

I agree with Hunter, this is very well done. The black border is a real plus, too.

Chris

Lovely photo.
Love the relections and the way the light at the far end of the loch pulls you into the photo.

Thanks guys. I've only recently changed over to shooting in raw (my old computer struggled with the file sizes). Amazed by what can be rescued in Adobe Camera Raw.

You need to go back with an ND grad. You're nearly there - but not quite. :)

brilliant shot
my observations are the chain to remove and the tuft of green grass at the bottom framing

100% well taken
cheers
geof

Lovely capture. Fantastic depth and the light really makes those greens look lush.

Is that paintball place still at Loch Farr ?

Last edited:
This is a classic shot. It might be possible to do a layer mask just to even out the lighting but it's a minor thing. Composition is spot on.

You need to go back with an ND grad. You're nearly there - but not quite. :)
Cheers - I did actually use an ND 4 soft grad here. I tried a darker one but the horizon line proved tricky and I was getting a lot of shadows on the tops of the trees.

"Is that paintball place still at Loch Farr ?" - Yip, just up the road a bit.

"my observations are the chain to remove and the tuft of green grass at the bottom framing" - Thanks. I thought about taking the chain out but quite liked it in. My thinking was that it added to the compositional lines. Hadn't noticed the tuft of grass - cheers.

Thanks to everyone else for taking some time to comment too. Really appreciate the feedback folks (y)

Hi Micheal,
What a gorgeous photo, if I came back with this my wife and neighbours would
not hear the last of it.

Thankyou Alan.

Very nice image. I would have lightened the foreground a touch more if it was mine, but it's still very good.

Back