Critique Loch Lomond under a dark sky

Very nice. I would think that would look great in moody B&W too. I think I would like a bit more sky and a bit less pier but I am just being picky. I would also try a square crop.

What happened to the end of the pier? Did you break it?

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
Really nice sky. Personally I think you should clone out the boat and the bit of white to the right of it as they distract the eye. I also think leave it colour as there is a variety of colour in the sky, even though its dark, and the reflections in the water

That sky is awesome Steve and I agree that it would probably look good as a dark moody B&W. Not sure if its me, uncalibrated screen, but there seems to be a green colour cast, did you use a filter?

I like the subtle greens and hint of blue in the sky. I won't mono convert it. I could crop pier off to square but wanted to leave it at 3rds as it would become disbalanced. As it were, I have done this location to death. @ianmarsh longer pier in the blog enties, and it gives a wonderful lead in when it is full length.

http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/loch-lomond-inveruglus-jetty-seasons/

@
ianmarsh longer pier here

Steve, try a different screen mate. It is quite a green scene and I have increased my green channel slightly but looking on several devices it looks fine.

Last edited:
Steve, try a different screen mate. It is quite a green scene and I have increased my green channel slightly but looking on several devices it looks fine.
Yeah your probably right mate, seems every image I view looks green :)

As mentioned the boat is a slight distraction & I would personally clone it out. The crop works for me tho & I don't think I would alter it. It think if it were me tho i would have had the pier bang in the middle as it is slightly off center at the moment. I can see that you probably wanted to keep the distant peak in the frame at the top left so maybe a little more space on the right would work.

All in all a very pleasing shot tho! Love the moody skies!

Cheers T

Last edited:
Not sure the off-centre matters as the angled end sort of makes it okay for me ... I like the colour left in but I also would clone out the distractions to the right :)

I like it Steve just loose the white boat and leave the rest.. Very moody scene.

I didn't know you were into cloudy and moody images :)

The sky is nice and detailed. Not sure why you broke the pier in half though... Milky water would look good here too.

I didn't know you were into cloudy and moody images :)

The sky is nice and detailed. Not sure why you broke the pier in half though... Milky water would look good here too.

I'm not particularly, this isn't my sort of thing at all. If you check my blog I have it under nice morning pre dawn light and golden hours on nice days. The structure of the cloud caught my eye, you should have one like this, you were there;)

A long exp would have been just the thing but to take this you stand on the jetty, not sure I bumped the ISO but sway can be an issue.

I remember this jetty when it was full length, gave a great lead in to Loch Lomond.

Back