Loch Ness

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Newbie to the forum, but an enthusiastic (but very amateur) amateur.

Snapped this whilst I was on holiday recently in Scotland, but only just getting around to processing what I shot.

Not entirely happy with this image as it was my first time shooting a wide angle lens and I struggled to find decent compositions - think I might try a B&W conversion to see what it looks like.

Constructive feedback welcome ... but do be gentle ;)

This is great. Perhaps crop some off the bottom (rule of thirds?) - perhaps removing quite a bit of the water - this might also make it a bit brighter.

Lovely colours and a very dramatic sky - exactly what you'd expect of Scotland.

Very nice indeed, I agree with B_M though about the crop off the bottom, I think it would improve it further.

This is great. Perhaps crop some off the bottom (rule of thirds?) - perhaps removing quite a bit of the water - this might also make it a bit brighter.

Good shout on the crop - I will certainly give that a go later on! Struggled to get a balance between brightness and keeping the "moodyness". Also, my home monitor isn't calibrated, which also doesn't help.

Thank you all for the positive comments ;)

A lovely shot and with the bottom bit cropped off really improves it.

Remember, when posting on the forum you are allowed 800px at the longest edge. It would have been nice to see this shot bigger.

I wasn't sure so err'd on the side of caution and used the flickr generated image sizes.

However i'd hotlinked the image to flickr - so you can open it and look at the larger versions (1024x683) ... but here is the direct link for it too:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2651/4130757072_704d8591c4_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, nice shot and it does need cropped at the bottom. If there was foreground interest there it probably would not need cropped.

I've tinkered around a little this evening, but I'm still struggling to be totally happy with this image. B&W was a no go ... and after trying a few alternative crops, this is what I have come up with (click the image for a larger version):

Crop:

Original:

Any better - or do I need to crop further?

Crop looks good.

I think you are right not to convert to mono, it's the strong but muted colours that make it for me.

I think it looks great, IThe only thing I think you could do is remove some of the noise in the sky you can see in the larger version

Last edited:
Cropped version is spot-on in my opinion. Not keen on the B & W edit posted by joescrivens, so I think you were wise not to bother with it.........the vibrant colours make the picture(y)

The blue in the photo is what makes the picture, without it it is very flat and uninteresting, and thats the problem with the B&W version, since it doesn't have the blues it doesn't work.

Sorry for not posting back sooner - been a little busy with a new arrival (pictures of that soon).

Thank you all for your comments. I may look at some noise correction at some point!

Cheers! :D

Back