lomography

Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone on here interested in lomography ?

been looking at having a dabble recently at film and quite like the effects that some of the cheaper low end cameras can produce.

I realise this sort of style may not be everyones cup of tea but I think some of the "lo-fi" stuff looks great

just need to get a cheap camera , i reckon i'm gonna trawl the charity shops tomorrow

yeah its a lot of fun to just shoot again without worrying about pixels and junk like that. though remember, just cause it looks lo-fi doesnt make it a good photo, the amount of crap thats on the lomography website... amongst alot of gems ofcourse.

yeah its a lot of fun to just shoot again without worrying about pixels and junk like that. though remember, just cause it looks lo-fi doesnt make it a good photo, the amount of crap thats on the lomography website... amongst alot of gems ofcourse.

yeah very true

just fancy trying something a bit different

LOVE toy cameras :)

I prefer Diana to Holga. Got myself a Diana F+ and Diana Mini. Haven't processed a roll from the F+ yet, though.

oh yeah, they can be great! i have a diana and a holga. both presents but alot of fun to play with. the holga on bulb does great landscapes actually. i prefer dianas too.

Last edited:
Buy some vaseline - sorted :D

Picked up a Holga 120GN a while ago from fleabay but haven't yet got round to running some film through.. weather's nice today.. maybe you've prompted me ;)

Vaseline to approximate the soft focus toy cameras generally produce, open the back occasionally to let light leaks and other random errors through... That's Lomography all over, really. But it isn't as fun!

Sorry! I thought I was on TalkPhotography for a moment....

Hey! I am on TalkPhotography....

Explain?!?

Low tech soft focus filter - take one old UV filter*, smear edges with vaseline, hey presto - one Lomo Lens style filter!

* don't do it on a decent filter - you'll never get it clear again!

Indeed people, I did in fact mean use it on a filter for the same effect - despite what those of you that are clearly a wee bit younger may have thought (thinks... dare I? Yeah, wtf...
finger1.gif
)

Another option would be to buy a lensbaby...

daffs-800.jpg

dog-800.jpg

4-26-2010_013-800.jpg

Those Lensbaby shots just remind me of when I had a "Space Brownie" at a music festival back in me Yoof... I was seeing everything like that for a good 18 hours :LOL: Suppose that explains a lot, doesn't it :)

My Holga is pretty sharp, where it counts, and doesn't suffer from light leaks. What you wont be able to replicate to any degree of satisfaction with any sort of filters, post or pre-production, is the beatiful, soft, vingette and fall-off. It really is unique. For the cost of a filter alone you can afford to try it and bin it/sell it on if it's not for you!

Those Lensbaby shots just remind me of when I had a "Space Brownie" at a music festival back in me Yoof... I was seeing everything like that for a good 18 hours :LOL: Suppose that explains a lot, doesn't it :)

Yes.... yes it does.... :LOL: :naughty:

Actually, mine is reasonably sharp too, in the centre spot (always allowing for me forgetting to focus properly!), and I had a good laugh messing around with it - especially with cross processing the film as well.

Altofts Canal by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Though on the whole - I actually think I prefer the Pinhole Holga's :shrug:

The first camera I got was a Holga and mine is pretty sharp in the middle and no leaks either:

Astia 100
4595872662_0c7b118516_z.jpg

Portra VC 400
3608522825_9768a7d7b4_z.jpg

NPC 160
1808501984_ee5d413ffd_z.jpg

In fact the only time the camera has acted really unusually is on the roll this came from:
331782809_67feec1785.jpg

And I loved the softness but never been able to recreate it!!!

I used to love all the "lomography" kind of stuff but I think I've 'grown up' a bit in my tastes (hence owning the Bronica) through my never-ending quest for more control over my images. Still really enjoy some of it though, and it's a really fun way of learning--especially about exposure--and improving your skills rather than learning how to use more and more gear.

edit: Those IR shots are stunning Mohain!!!!

The first camera I got was a Holga and mine is pretty sharp in the middle and no leaks either:

Astia 100
4595872662_0c7b118516_z.jpg

Portra VC 400
3608522825_9768a7d7b4_z.jpg

NPC 160
1808501984_ee5d413ffd_z.jpg

In fact the only time the camera has acted really unusually is on the roll this came from:
331782809_67feec1785.jpg

And I loved the softness but never been able to recreate it!!!

I used to love all the "lomography" kind of stuff but I think I've 'grown up' a bit in my tastes (hence owning the Bronica) through my never-ending quest for more control over my images. Still really enjoy some of it though, and it's a really fun way of learning--especially about exposure--and improving your skills rather than learning how to use more and more gear.

edit: Those IR shots are stunning Mohain!!!!

Apart from the last shot, the first three have nothing to do with Lomography, they are very good photograph,s indeed, I wish I could get some the same, Congratulations.

I like the hand shot, nice composition and colour.
My parents box Brownie shots are mostly Lomography.

Apart from the last shot, the first three have nothing to do with Lomography, they are very good photograph,s indeed, I wish I could get some the same, Congratulations.
Well they were taken with a Holga following the "rules" of "lomography", literally just pointing and shooting. Just because the photos aren't strewn with leaks, out of focus and/or cross processed doesn't mean they're not "lomographic". But thank you for the high praise.

Back