London - A short Timelapse FIlm

Name
Dave Price
Edit My Images
No
Been working on my first time laspse film over the past few weeks. A total of 4478 photographs make this 3 minute long ish video. For some reason i'm getting quite a bit of pixelation in the night skys, might be something i've not proper checked in after effects. Also need to work on my composition when using the slider, hard to judge where where the framing will be at the other end of the slide. Have plans for making a second on the go already experimenting with transitions from day to night and visa versa.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I don't know if its because of YouTube compression or something I'm doing wrong at my end to be honest most of it was just a pixelated jumble, maybe I was viewing at a incorrect quality setting :( one this that was an something I picked up on past the quality issue was there wasn't enough going on take as an example the docklands scene with the Thames boats, the only action in that scene was the boats as you couldn't see any movement in the sky...so the only interest was in a tiny sliver at the bottom on the scene...also the section on the I'm guessing DLR it would have been better at day time as you'd have seen more....final point for me would be I think you also needed a sunrise and sunset scene in there for the transition from night into day and then back into night...

I'd love to see a high quality version where I could see it clearer (y)

I don't know if its because of YouTube compression or something I'm doing wrong at my end to be honest most of it was just a pixelated jumble, maybe I was viewing at a incorrect quality setting :( one this that was an something I picked up on past the quality issue was there wasn't enough going on take as an example the docklands scene with the Thames boats, the only action in that scene was the boats as you couldn't see any movement in the sky...so the only interest was in a tiny sliver at the bottom on the scene...also the section on the I'm guessing DLR it would have been better at day time as you'd have seen more....final point for me would be I think you also needed a sunrise and sunset scene in there for the transition from night into day and then back into night...

I'd love to see a high quality version where I could see it clearer (y)
It run fine for me but I use SmartVideo For YouTube on chrome

Edit, running it again full screen and you are right there is pixelation

Last edited:
It run fine for me but I use SmartVideo For YouTube on chrome

You know what I've just forced it to open in the app for YouTube an its epic in that so much better, there is the issue in the sky, as mentioned in the opening post, but having used the YouTube app I completely take back my quality issue, clearly that was at my end not the video (y)

Right just watched the much better version via the app, have to say the imbedded version should not be watched honestly it so much improved watching it in full glory of setting the settings up for the best quality, so much more to be seen :) so much clearer and very enjoyable, I do stand by my comments about needing a transition from night into day and then back into night, and maybe some of the scenes need a little more going on in them, but on the higher quality there is more detail I'm the movement in the sky that helps a lot even in the night ones :)

So anybody reading this DO NOT watch the imbedded version make the effort and watch it in full glory

I confess I don't know anything about doing time laps films but even on youtube full HD There is still large blocks of pixelation in the night skys and dark areas :shrug:

I can't see any pixelation in the true sense. You have 2 issues in the sky:
1) there is 1 scene where each shot has a slightly different exposure so the sky brightness is going up and down. Did you use autofocus? That opens the aperture and resets it for each shot leading tiny but noticeable exposure changes. Or possibly aperture priority?
2) one scene has banding in the sky caused by the 8 bit codec. You only have about 220 valid levels of brightness so in a scene with high dynamic range (range between highlight and shadows not awful tone maps) there are visible jumps between brightness levels.

Enjoyed it. Working on something similar myself.

I can't see any pixelation in the true sense. You have 2 issues in the sky:
1) there is 1 scene where each shot has a slightly different exposure so the sky brightness is going up and down. Did you use autofocus? That opens the aperture and resets it for each shot leading tiny but noticeable exposure changes. Or possibly aperture priority?
2) one scene has banding in the sky caused by the 8 bit codec. You only have about 220 valid levels of brightness so in a scene with high dynamic range (range between highlight and shadows not awful tone maps) there are visible jumps between brightness levels.

Enjoyed it. Working on something similar myself.

In after effects I set the codec to 16 bit so i'm not sure whats going on with the 8 bit clip. I havent put any of this footage through any de-flickering process yet. As its my first proper film i'm still quite new to timelapse as a concept and the process. Everything was shot in manual focus and I Did the lens twist with the aperture stop down button to try and minimalise the flickering. My try using Final Cut Pro or Premiere for the next one. I've also herd about LR Timlapse, anyone using this at the moment or have any views?

The embedded version is absolutely fine here when watched in 1080p

I think this is very nice, would be interested in knowing what equipment you used

I quite like it, didn't notice anything wrong. What slider was you using?

All of this was shot on my Canon 5D II with a 24-105 f/4 lens. As for the slider i'm using the Pocket Slider from germany. Motion controlled at 1m long. The panning shots from left to right and the up and down slides were done on the slider. The zooming in and out shots were done in after effects in post production.

If I am going to be brutally honest - it is far too dark and a bit static for most of the film. I am one of those people that will say a big no no to black sky in landscapes - use the blue hour. As mentioned above you do need sunrise and sunsets and many more daylight bits, and go blatantly obvious with the landmarks if it really is about London.

Been working on my first time laspse film over the past few weeks. A total of 4478 photographs make this 3 minute long ish video. For some reason i'm getting quite a bit of pixelation in the night skys, might be something i've not proper checked in after effects. Also need to work on my composition when using the slider, hard to judge where where the framing will be at the other end of the slide. Have plans for making a second on the go already experimenting with transitions from day to night and visa versa.

What do you think?

Really great video Dave, I have a Canon 5d3, and have never used the video. Your short film has made me thing I will have a bash? Thanks a lot

Geoff

Well I gotta say for me, it's a great piece of work. Love your use of the slider, and i love the shot on underground train. Great work.

It's a nice piece. Black skies aren't an issue for me - can't just shoot in golden hour either because the events aren't right or because life's just too short!

I'd question the use of the slider. With a better editing package you should be able to 'scroll' around in the frame if you're shooting at high resolution anyway, or at least play with your framing some.

For some scenes you could try longer exposure, to give the people etc some movement as they move in the frames.

It's a nice piece. Black skies aren't an issue for me - can't just shoot in golden hour either because the events aren't right or because life's just too short!

I'd question the use of the slider. With a better editing package you should be able to 'scroll' around in the frame if you're shooting at high resolution anyway, or at least play with your framing some.

For some scenes you could try longer exposure, to give the people etc some movement as they move in the frames.

Well I gotta say for me, it's a great piece of work. Love your use of the slider, and i love the shot on underground train. Great work.

Cam I ask what software you used to make this?

Cheers all, the shots zooming in and out and the whole film was made in after effects, shots processed in lightroom first. For my next one i will be looking at using either final cut pro or premier pro. Had an issue with the quality of the end result when exporting from after effects with the H.274 output module or something like that.

After Effects has had H.264 (/MPEG4 part10/AVC/Whatever you want to call it this week) output removed in the latest version: http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2013/04/whats-new-changed-after-effects-next.html

You may be better off rendering to a good intermediate format like DNXHD, ProRes, DPX... then downloading Eyeframe Converter and using a leading software H.264 encoder to create a delivery file. The encoder built in to EFC is slower (upto about 4 mins per min of footage) but much better.

I've had a dabble with time lapse and I can appreciate the work that has gone into that, Dave. Epic really - well done.

I have seen online something similar to a timelapse when using photos, but taking around 200 photos or so about a few inches apart each time moving along but keeping your same centre point. I will try dig out a link.

I like the video though.

Youtube probably compressed the video slightly, also youtube cannon handle true 1080p HD videos. So on this note as it only handles 720p, allowing your pictures to fit compressed it even more so.

Hyperlapse is the word I'm looking for

Youtube probably compressed the video slightly, also youtube cannon handle true 1080p HD videos. So on this note as it only handles 720p, allowing your pictures to fit compressed it even more so.

What do you mean cannot handle true 1080p? What are the restrictions? WHat is the 1080p setting on YouTube actually showing?

It only processes 720p
I know there were recent changes to streams etc but I thought it still processed 1080, the restrictions were more on the the download side where only lower resolutions were used for some players?

Well I'm not doing video until next month but one of my friends has a gaming channel and a sponsor and I'm going just off of his words and another friend of mine has mentioned it although he doesn't have a youtube channel.

But they are both adamant that youtube does not actually process 1080p as of yet.

I've set my camera up to record in full 720p HD and I think it works out at 8fps rather than 7fps on 1080p. So should get the best out of the camera and work well for youtube.

I will try get a more in depth answer about this from my mate if he gets a chance to explain

Well I'm not doing video until next month but one of my friends has a gaming channel and a sponsor and I'm going just off of his words and another friend of mine has mentioned it although he doesn't have a youtube channel.

But they are both adamant that youtube does not actually process 1080p as of yet.

I've set my camera up to record in full 720p HD and I think it works out at 8fps rather than 7fps on 1080p. So should get the best out of the camera and work well for youtube.

I will try get a more in depth answer about this from my mate if he gets a chance to explain

I used to upload my time-lapse stuff to YouTube and it always went up as 1080p. I've never had any indication that it is not being processed at 1080p. I get more indication that it is being processed at 1080p because it takes longer to process if I'm honest. If I watch stuff back I can see a difference in quality between the 1080 and 720.

I am curious as to where your mate is coming from, I thought this was something new from the changes in the last few months.

Really enjoyed watching that. I'm working on a time-lapse myself but for Bristol. Was the slider a motorised one? I have been looking into getting one or hiring one but they are far to expensive for me.

Enjoyed that and i applaud your dedication.

I particularly liked how the front of the train muttered from left to right @ 33 seconds.

Cheers.

Really enjoyed watching that. I'm working on a time-lapse myself but for Bristol. Was the slider a motorised one? I have been looking into getting one or hiring one but they are far to expensive for me.

Yeah its a motorised 1 metre slider. Bought it from www.pocketslider.de
Enjoyed that and i applaud your dedication.

I particularly liked how the front of the train muttered from left to right @ 33 seconds.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy!

Well, I really liked it. I love time-lapses and it's something that I would get in to if I could afford a slider. I think you picked some ballsy locations at times which added to the interest. Perhaps a bit more/faster movement on the dolly would have kept up with the tempo of your (excellent) music choice.

Cheers Robbie, most of the movements were created in post production. Only the sideways movements were shot on the slider. Im currently making a second mini film using the same artist who created the music in this one. Hopefully should be finished in a month or so. Keep your eyes peeled!

Worked amazing for me at first it pixilated but a little setting here and there and it works just fine.
You should definitely work something around the moving objects there was a slight blur effect that in the part where you had the fountain, the rest was awesome. :plus1::clap::woot:

Thanks Steve! I've managed to get rid of about 80% of the pixilation in the new film i'm making. Working on some new camera movements in post production and capturing sequences transitioning from day to night. Cant wait to get it finished!

This is a first for me, all I can say is wow....looking forward to seeing no.2

Back