London by Night

Edit My Images
No
Afternoon everyone!

For some time my 'signature' photograph has been this image of a London bus on Tower Bridge:

LBN-7-2.jpg

This was taken early last summer when I was having some considerable trouble with some new equipment, and I was in the process of upgrading to a D300, which wasn't going as smoothly as I'd have liked.
I recently entered it into a competition on another forum I frequent (not photography related) and I was approached by a member to supply a large print for his office. To my horror, when I opened it up in Lightroom, I realised that it had been taken on my D50 - Oh dear! Only 6megapixels.

I wasn't confident to blow it up to more than 6 times its original size, so I decided to go up to London in the early hours of the night last Sunday and capture some similar photograph to hopefully cover my blunder!

I thought I'd show you what I came up with to see what you think :)

1. Prospect of Whitby - London's oldest Riverside Inn. Selective colour, vignette

LBN-1-2.jpg

2. My father, a pianist, playing one of London's 'Street Pianos' outside the Bank of England. Vignette.

LBN-4-2.jpg

3. A London bus at the Bank crossroad. Selective colour, vignette.

LBN-3-2.jpg

4. Lloyds of London with a UK postbox. Selective colour (obviously :tongue: ), Lightroom'd Graduated Filter over the top half (+ve exposure)

LBN-5-2.jpg

5. The London Eye from the Embankment. Selective colour again.

LBN-2-2.jpg

These were all shot in RAW with a D300, 18-55 kit lens & a Manfrotto tripod. ISO640, apertures ranging from F8 to F22, and shutter speeds ranging from 1/4sec to 13secs.

Thanks in advance for any comments / critiques!

Sam

I like these, well done. 1 gets the vote for the pick of the bunch from me.

I'm dying to get into London while winter is with us for some of this.

Thanks for the comment!

I've got some new ideas for locations around the West End; keep an eye on my uploads ;)

S

Will do, what lenses did you use? The D90 isn't too far off the D300 and it would be interesting to hear what you used for these, assuming Lloyds was a Sigma 10-20 or Nikon 12-24 or something similar?

Nope, as said in the OP, all were done with the Nikkor 18-55 'kit' lens, so there's no blaming your kit ;)

S

Ah, sorry I missed that. That makes it all the more impressive (y)

loving your 1st pic very nice i am a sucker for selective colour also the post boxes, the girders on the left and right of the bridge are very pronounced, wht post pro have you used for them

Thanks for your comments.

Both were PP'd in Lightroom.

For Tower Bridge: Channel mixer, saturation on all bar red & orange to -100, saturation on R&O channels slightly increased (~+20)

Adjustment brush set on -100 saturation to tidy up and remove some red & orange that wasn't wanted (some in the hues of the yellow line etc..)

For Lloyd's: Adjustment brush max brush size, saturation -100 all over image. New adjustment brush, saturation +100, colour in the postboxes.

Bingo :)

S

Thanks for commenting, Peter.

#1 Tower Bridge or #1 Prospect of Whitby?

Thanks again!

S

I like the 1st photo but I do feel it needs straightening.

Lloyds building would have been so much better if you had got the top of the building.

I like the 1st photo but I do feel it needs straightening.

Lloyds building would have been so much better if you had got the top of the building.

Can't really straighten TB as I'd lose the top of it, as I shot it too far in :(

Same really with Lloyds; I was literally lying with my chin on the floor, tripod (manfotto decent one) at minimum height, and in getting any more of the height, I'd have lost the bottom of the post boxes. Only option would have been a pano stitch which I didn't fancy... Methinks I need a 10-20 ;)

S

Love number 4. tell me about selective colouring? how does that work i.e how can i achieve it?

Love number 4. tell me about selective colouring? how does that work i.e how can i achieve it?

For Lloyd's: Adjustment brush max brush size, saturation -100 all over image. New adjustment brush, saturation +100, colour in the postboxes.

Bingo :)

S

Thanks for all the comments chaps (& chapesses?) I'll be sure to keep them coming.

S

Back