London protestor on an iPad

It's a clever shot, but for me on my monitor it's waaay too dark and a lot of detail kind of gets lost.

Bring back the pictures for those of us who got to the party late.:LOL:

Nice enough shot, though it looks like it's leaning a lot to the right. Think I might prefer it framed a bit tighter, and is the vignette added in post?

I live the irony there :)

Nice work!

Don't think there's much/any irony in the shot.

Without the title it's quite hard to understand what's going on.

Agreed. Not that that's a bad thing in itself.

Nice work, love the irony. It might have been a bit dark, but the darkness showed the screen backlight from the iPad better IMO.

I disagree with the people saying it needs the title for it to work, if you look around the shot you can(with a basic knowledge of current events) work out what's going on and what is so funny/sad about the shot.

My main concern is this:
63756773456d62e202f8z.jpg

I disagree with the people saying it needs the title for it to work, if you look around the shot you can(with a basic knowledge of current events) work out what's going on and what is so funny/sad about the shot.

My main concern is this:

I was thinking more that it was difficult to see what the person was holding. But that was only from glancing at the small file. I don't think it's an issue looking at the larger one. The vignetting and the weird black corner, along with the tilt could do with revising.

As for the humour, irony, I still don't see it. I'm assuming people realise that Occupy isn't about protesting the existence of companies, or the fact that people use goods produced by companies.

Jayst84 said:
I was thinking more that it was difficult to see what the person was holding. But that was only from glancing at the small file. I don't think it's an issue looking at the larger one. The vignetting and the weird black corner, along with the tilt could do with revising.

As for the humour, irony, I still don't see it. I'm assuming people realise that Occupy isn't about protesting the existence of companies, or the fact that people use goods produced by companies.

Great photo.

The irony that somebody is protesting about rampant capitalism (not that there is a specific objective of the 'Occupy' protest) whilst holding one of its most recent and visible products.

Much better without the odd black blob. ;)

The irony that somebody is protesting about rampant capitalism (not that there is a specific objective of the 'Occupy' protest) whilst holding one of its most recent and visible products.

Jayst84 said:
Much better without the odd black blob. ;)

Occupy is about several hundred different things, depending on what you want to see at any given point in time. And a lot of the moans can be traced through to what that protestor is hiding, ergo it's funny.

the reason i ws drawn in to take the shot was the fact the guy was looking for donations, and looked very stereotypical, (not that i judge people, stopped that years ago) and from no where pulls out a fancy i pad on of the things many have spoken about is huge corporate companies taking over the world so to speak, making it some how slightly ironic?

I really liked the original. Again though, fail to see the irony in it?

Just makes me think of all the people from day one who were 'writing the protests off' because, "oh, they're using mobile phones" or, "they're buying food from a chain restaurant and then walking back to their camp." It's not that simple.

I don't think the humour is in the fact that they are using an iPad while at an Occupy protest, I'm taking a far more obvious look at it and I find it rather funny/cheeky of them to ask for donations while not sacrificing anything of their own.

I don't think the humour is in the fact that they are using an iPad while at an Occupy protest, I'm taking a far more obvious look at it and I find it rather funny/cheeky of them to ask for donations while not sacrificing anything of their own.

Maybe it was donated, maybe it wasn't, maybe they were in the process of donating it. Doesn't really matter. You don't know what they have or haven't sacrificed, or what they are doing for their cause outside of the moment photographed.

I like the original, good idea, nicely emphasised by the heavy vignette. (y)

The protests are about a corrupt system, not anti-capitalism, so any arguments about the hypocritical use of modern tools are irrelevant. Why they feel the need to ask for donations, well why not I suppose, nowt much wrong with it and I can see that that can be seen as Ironic.

But In many ways the replies of ironic amusement on this thread are more ironic for their miscomprehension that the image itself. Which again adds meaning as miscomprehension is part of the protesters protest.

So this is a good street shot with meaning for me ...but it wins more for its ironic miscomprehension and cause on this thread (And many places Id guess) rather than its actual supposed ironic story line.

Last edited:
Dont think I would be donating to him standing there with an Ipad, wish I could bl--dy afford one ;)

Did anyone see the photo in AP if the photographer protesting against capitalism using her limited edition gold-plated Hassleblad?

I like the moment OP - I feel the edges are a bit heavily processed but other than that I think it works, I especially like how the light from the screen illuminates its user

Interesting image, but I agree with Jayst84's and Forbiddenbiker's approach on this. I'm an atheist but it doesn't stop me appreciating the inside of a cathedral.

what was i assuming? whats to say i didn't talk to this guy get his side of the story and ask permission? ;)

I didn't say you were assuming anything. And I have no idea what permission has to do with it.

I was referring to this which I quoted:

... I find it rather funny/cheeky of them to ask for donations while not sacrificing anything of their own.

Back