London Surrey Cycle Race

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Never done this sort of thing before, but it was just down the road so seemed rude not to! Did some research on here and elsewhere yesterday on Sports settings, which I hope I got vaguely right - some focus issues but considering was machine-gunning at point-blank range with a 70-200 VRII, I think I did ok all things considered, especially as pretty much it was all over and done with in about 20 seconds, bar the odd straggler at Kingston. These were also all shot jpg rather than my usual raw, just to keep my work-load tollerable!

Went to Teddington Gate of Bushy Park, then Kingston Bridge for the return....Took about 300+ shots, so here's a few very quickly selected and cropped...

FTS_3386.jpg by FTS Photography, on Flickr

FTS_3418.jpg by FTS Photography, on Flickr

FTS_3437.jpg by FTS Photography, on Flickr

FTS_3520.jpg by FTS Photography, on Flickr

FTS_3573.jpg by FTS Photography, on Flickr

FTS_3637.jpg by FTS Photography, on Flickr

Any C&C naturally welcome for future reference, but this is far from what I normally do! :D

Considering you've never done this sort of thing before I think you've done really well. First shot, for me, is the pick of the bunch showing the concentration on the bikers face.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, appreciated!

Yes, the first shot would have been nicer with the whole wheel in, unfortunatly a combination of high barrier and long-lens meant couldn't get as low down / as much in - learning process from this meant I chose the second position so I was looking "up hill", and got down on the ground for some of the shots.

Actually, just found another one slightly earlier - shows the lead cyclist fully, but as they aren't as cranked-over as much and the background crowd was better, I chose the original shot as more dynamic - anyway, here it is...

FTS_3384.jpg by FTS Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great set....

Good colours and nice and sharp...

I shot a bunch which are barely ok... I was surprised by how fast they were moving and didn't use a high enough shutter speed......

Thanks guys, appreciated!

Yes, the first shot would have been nicer with the whole wheel in, unfortunatly a combination of high barrier and long-lens meant couldn't get as low down / as much in - learning process from this meant I chose the second position so I was looking "up hill", and got down on the ground for some of the shots.

Nice shots Richard.(y)

Regarding the 1st shot of Kristian House, I wouldn't worry about not having the whole wheel in the picture. I for one don't subscribe to the theory that you have to always have everything in the frame, sometimes cropping in real tight conveys the effort being put in so much better, or you may see some small interesting detail that would otherwise have been missed by looking at the whole. ....variety is the spice of life.:)

Stew.

Edit. Meant to ask, why did they put that single line of barriers down the middle of the road in No.3? :LOL:

Last edited:
really like number 2, I would be tempted to convert into some 'moddy' black and white, but regardless a great photo in my view.

Must be difficult as you don't get any 'warm up' shots....just the bunch and then gone.

Thankyou again everyone!

:ty:

Edit. Meant to ask, why did they put that single line of barriers down the middle of the road in No.3? :LOL:

There are two sets of big iron gates to Bushy Park with a pillar inbetween - one for each direction of traffic. When the main pack came through, there wasn't room for them all to squeeze through at once, so the single line of barriers split them up in advance.... There were some tasteful :)thinking:) purple cushions in front of the pillars in case of accidents.

p.s.
I shall now have to find out what a criterium is :LOL:

Last edited:
As has been said the first two really stand out as the best from this good set.

I've just been surprised by an email via flickr.... From one of the riders I photographed, asking if they can get a copy... O.O...

As I only put half a dozen pics up, maybe I should have put all 300 shots up and tried to make some money back :LOL:

Nice set of shots ... I'll see you there for the real thing next year :D

I shall now have to find out what a criterium is :LOL:

A criterium is just a bike race around a circuit rather than from point to point. Usually crit's are done for a time + acertain amount of laps. Like 1 hour plus 5 laps. Great for watching a taking pics of since you get to see the riders several times over the race.

You've got some nice pics there too, really sharp with good colours.

Callum

Nice shots and very good from a static position, these guys really fly. I like the second one as it's both a different angle from the regular head on shot and it clearly shows that no matter what, the cyclist really is a lonely, isolated figure.
A lovely shot.

Back