Long Exposure - First Attempt

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I'm sure you're all sick of seeing these, as a quick search reveals that I'm fairly late at having a go at this! (In fact, i see David had already beaten me to the location beat me to it! )

Anyway, here is my first attempt at star trails, with a tripod and remote shutter release straight of our their respective boxes!

54 30-second images using Startrails.exe as the merge method.

5613271276_52d59cee09_b.jpg

My torch wasn't as strong as I had hoped to light the foreground - If I boosted the brightness on the image where i was painting with the torch, would it bring out more detail in the foreground/viaduct? or would it ruin the balance do you think?

The moon started to encroach at the top of the frame unfortunately.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Tom

Last edited:
I love it and I am going to say something that is meant as a compliment so please accept it, it looks like something from a magical Disney film.

Even the torch beam was not as strong as you wanted it, I think it's still come out pretty well.

Like the way that small channel of water leads up to the viaduct.

I think the torch was just right

Its a brilliant image, how long was the exposure?

I love it and I am going to say something that is meant as a compliment so please accept it, it looks like something from a magical Disney film.

Thank you!

Even the torch beam was not as strong as you wanted it, I think it's still come out pretty well.

Like the way that small channel of water leads up to the viaduct.

Thanks - it was with a LED torch and the white balance was set to 'tungsten' i think, so I suppose it does give it a colder look.

I think the torch was just right

Its a brilliant image, how long was the exposure?

I set the camera for 30 second exposure, set it on continous and locked the shutter release for about 55 minutes. On the second to last frame I painted the scene with the torch and then the last frame was with the lens cap on (this apparently removes noise when you process in Startrails)

I rather like this, the star trails and the lights on the viaduct are good (y)

Thanks! The light is from the trains going over the viaduct - i though they'd ruin the exposure, but by luck more than anything else it seems to work! :)

I think that you have done a really great hub with this as it looks great, you have a nice view point/perspective on the viaduct and the startrails are strong and finally some light trails from the trains I would say perfect.

Matt
MWHCVT

I lioke that very much- the lack of torch has'nt harmed the end product :clap:

:Les (y)

Great first attempt, is there any way of achieving this sort of image with one long exposure shot, i've had a couple of goes at this but didn't use a torch to light the foreground, is it possible?

yaymond81 said:
Great first attempt, is there any way of achieving this sort of image with one long exposure shot, i've had a couple of goes at this but didn't use a torch to light the foreground, is it possible?

From what i have read, one long exposure is more difficult to get a good result without a lot of experimenting. My understanding isn't good enough to work out the correct exposure for a 25 minute shot. Also, the longer the exposure, the worse the noise levels are. By taking lots of 30 sec shots, you don't have to wait 25 minutes to see whether it's worked! Just get the exposure so you can just about see the stars after 30 seconds and then just put it on continuous and wait :)

Thanks to everyone for their kind words!

Tom

great first attempt!! (y) just love the light trails across the viaduct

Completely agree Jambobowron, exposure is pretty much bang on.
No need to worry about the torchlight, it looks perfect the way it is :) :clap:

Back