Critique Looking for feedback/advice

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Whilst on holiday I took the oportunity to photograph at the Cornish Birds of Prey Centre, I took the oportunity whilst I had a captive subject so to speak.

My two main aims were, to capture some decent in flight shots, and play with DOF and capturing some sharp images. I'v not played with these images, they are as they came off the card.

I would welcome your feedback and advice, once I have mastered the captive subjects I am going out to look for some wild subjects.

To tell the truth, I am very much a beginner when it comes to DSLR, these were captured using manual modes (Shutter Priority)

Body is a Canon 1100D

Owl Flight 1
EXP: 1/1000 sec
ISO: 100
F-Stop: f/4
Lens: Sigma 70-300mm

Owl Flight 2
F-Stop: f/4

Owl Flight 3
F-Stop: f/5

Owl 1
EXP: 1/320 sec
F-Stop: f/9

Owl 2
EXP: 1/640 sec

Flight 2

Flight 3
F-Stop: f/5.6

Last edited:
I like them, it's a good start. Wild will be much harder I'm sure :) is that your finger in the corner of owl flight 3? Owl 1 is my favorite. Think the flight ones could be improved with cropping when you get to processing them. That's about the only advice I can give you with regards to pp haha. But we'll done, a good start

I like them, it's a good start. Wild will be much harder I'm sure :) is that your finger in the corner of owl flight 3? Owl 1 is my favorite. Think the flight ones could be improved with cropping when you get to processing them. That's about the only advice I can give you with regards to pp haha. But we'll done, a good start

Thanks for the feedback, I wouldn't know where to start with wild shoots, but I am determined to learn. Im not convinced my 300mm Sigma lens is quite up to the wild shoots though. Image quality is not the best when cropped down, perhaps I need to shoot and edit RAW, would that help?

It would make editing easier. Which 30min sigma is it? Should be able to find some guides on Google? Iv not tried bird shots yet so not gonna be much help but maybe in the morning you will get some more advice in here from the experts. I'm guessing most of the photographers awake now will be trying to shoot the aurora tonight :)

It would make editing easier. Which 30min sigma is it? Should be able to find some guides on Google? Iv not tried bird shots yet so not gonna be much help but maybe in the morning you will get some more advice in here from the experts. I'm guessing most of the photographers awake now will be trying to shoot the aurora tonight :)

The lens is....

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro

I had that lens (sort of still do as the missus has it now) focusing is rather slow for wildlife and BIF is a tough subject with the best of lens, so for sure that Sigma is going to be stretched. Not bad for the money though.

I had that lens (sort of still do as the missus has it now) focusing is rather slow for wildlife and BIF is a tough subject with the best of lens, so for sure that Sigma is going to be stretched. Not bad for the money though.

If this type of photography really takes my interest then I will have to invest in something more appropriate, I'm determined to max out the kit I have before an upgrade.

I paid £50 new in box, was an unwanted gift apparently.

Bargain! I need to get myself a zoom. Spent my budget on 60d and sigma 17-50 2.8 but thinking I'm gonna get the canon 55-250 IS STM when I can.

Back