Looking for feedback please

Edit My Images
No
Below is a portrait shot from my first shoot with some new strobes. Looking for comments.

Thank you in advance.

photoshoot.jpg

I think a soft reflector lower left handside (largish card or polystyrene) may have bumped a little light back in off the main flash from the right and filled in shadows or perhaps the right hand main light be moved further round towards you and a little more behind you as the girl has more light on her face than the guy.

Apart from that it seems pretty much fine to me especially given it's your first shoot with them.

The comments below are a little picky so don't take them to heart...

I'm guessing the 2 are brother and sister but his hand position looks fairly awkward. If they are a couple, then his arms around her from behind may have looked my more natural.
The focus looks slightly off, perhaps on his shoulder so both faces look very slightly softer than they should be.
Lighting on her right side is a tad too intense but overall the strobe positioning looks good to me, although I agree a reflector left side to reduce the shadows may have been better.

The composition looks about right, and her smile is great... By and by, apart from some minor issues I've mentioned above, it's a very pleasing image, and it's almost there...

Last edited:
Yep, a little bright on the left of her face, but a very good start (y)

Thanks for that. Actually I did have reflector but I didnt have a stand so my wife was holding it but not in this shot. The photo is brother and sister (not mine kids). I think the softness is due to the resize but I will keep an eye on that. I will experiment this week reducing the main light a bit. The setup I had was one main light in softbox. Another strobe with umbrella shooting at the white backdrop to try and blow it out and for most of the shots a reflector to the lower left to soften the shadows on the left and under eyes. When I get home I will upload one more image that I think I used the reflector on to see if that is more pleasing.

But for now thank you very much it is always hard to judge your own work.

That second shot is spot on! A+

In that second shot the main light is too far round to camera right making too big a contrast between left and right sides of the face. For a happy smiley shot you need soft lighting - nothing as dramatic as this - the lighting has to match the mood of the shot.

Thanks Cavking.

Andrew, at the time i was going for the contrast but i get what you mean that the contrast may not patch the pose. These are the things I need to think about more. Thing is with these impromptu shoots it is difficult to know what type of mode the model will portray and I usually set my lights up before hand. Maybe I need to get a feel of the atmosphere and tweak the lighting to match. all these comment give me stuff to think about for next time. Cheers.

Comments were meant to be helpful - I hope they were!

Yes they were. They have made be think about the mood of the model when deciding on the type of lighting to use. Plus I think what i will do to improve this type of shot will be reduce the keylight a little and up the light that shines on the backdrop and maybe add a strobe to the left set low to reduce the contrast a little. these are exactly the type of comments i was looking for. Sorry if I did not sound appreciative.

Last edited:
If you're new to shooting with studio lighting - I'd use LESS. Start with ONE light - play with it - try all the variations - learn. Then move on to two lights and so on/ more light - more complications. Start simple and work your way up - walk before you run!

If you're new to shooting with studio lighting - I'd use LESS. Start with ONE light - play with it - try all the variations - learn. Then move on to two lights and so on - more light - more complications. Start simple and work your way up - walk before you run!

Back