Looking for purchase advice

Name
oliver
Edit My Images
No
I am new here and this is my first post and I would like some advice. I will start with a little history, I have had digital cameras since around 2000 but only the compact type until around 6 months ago when I thought I would try a DSLR. I bought a 1000D and was pretty amazed by the quality difference. I had initially been satisfied with the kit lens, and since I also enjoy watches thought I would photograph them. I got used to adjusting the aperture and shutter speed to suit the photo. I quickly realised that the kit lens wasnt cutting it so I bought a canon 100mm macro lens. Which I have used for the last 3 months. I am now looking at other peoples pictures that are better than mine. This has lead me to consider the purchase of a new camera to further improve. I like the canon since I am used to the function and menus, and have been looking at the 50D and the 7D. I am interested to know will upgrading to either of these improve my pictures. Or should I be looking at a lighting kit of some description, if so any recommendations? :help:

I'd be looking at more lenses if I were you.

Glass will improve your shots and should be compatible with all Canon cameras in future. Even if you upgrade body now you will only want to upgrade again in the future, but your lenses you probably won't.

What do you find yourself shooting mainly? What would you like to shoot more of?

I shoot my watches a lot, so pretty much use the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens for that. Should I be looking at lighting or is the lens sub par?

heres a shot I took recently

IMG_7719.jpg

I think it might be a bit early to look at upgrading your camera as after all you are still learning - a more expensive camera isn't automatically going to improve your technique. If you do want more kit it might be better to look at higher quality lenses but really I think you need to work out what improvements are needed and then launch a two pronged attack - hone your skill and maybe get some quality glass to help you on your way ;)

Edit to say: I'm still a beginner myself but I'd say you are right in thinking lighting is the key. Why don't you post in the lighting section and get some advice on what you can improve on?

You already have the best lens for the job, and I can't see much benefit at all from upgrading the camera. The major improvements you would get are mostly in features and performance you won't even use for that kind of photography.

Lighting however, could make a big difference.

Thanks for the advice guys, I am looking at lighting now and postprocessing with photoshop.

Back