Looking to buy my first DSLR... Nikon or Canon? £500, models included

2 70-300 VR lenses sold here last week both for less than £250 each.

D90 > D3XXX or D5XXX any day of the week for me. Better controls (2 dials and a top LCD), and a built in AF motor. I'm buying a Sigma macro lens for my D90 this week and if I had a body without an AF motor it wouldn't be able to autofocus. Woops! Plus from what I hear the D5X00 range is very small in the hand. If you couple that with a nice telephoto lens one day (70-300mm VR like I have, or a 70-200mm VR f/2.8 like I don't have :( ) then chances are it won't be too well balanced and will feel a bit off.

Some very good advice on this topic
Thank u EVERYONE who has helped me ...

Seems I need a D90 then

Thank you Psifox for that link

Some very good advice on this topic
Thank u EVERYONE who has helped me ...

Seems I need a D90 then

Thank you Psifox for that link

have you tried anything in the hand yet? It really is worth doing, since for your purpose you need to be able to operate it quickly. You'd kick yourself if you bought blind as it were, then later tried a different camera and found it suited much better.

A lot of people on here can tell you how they went into a shop intending to buy a particular camera and walked out with a different one because after trying it became clear another one suited them much better.

Not trying to over complicate things (and the D90 is a superbly capable and excellent value camera), but to me it would certainly be worth it when spending this much on something.

Last edited:
As has been said I'd check in a camera shop if you can

Both the D90 & EOS 550/600d are great cameras but one may feel better than the other to hold/use

I'll go to Jessops tomorrow to feel the cameras . The only thing putting me off before I asked on here was I didn't want to go in there not knowing what I want, them baffle me and then buy something not good...

Don't think it's possible to buy a bad one, just one that's more (or less) suited to you!

Just been let down by someone on Gumtree, arranged to go pick up a D7000, and he sold it on ebay! Onwards!

I went through a D5000/D90 debate with myself when buying - but the top LCD and built in focus motor swayed me towards the D90 and I do find I use the top LCD all the time.

Don't worry about dithering a bit, I took about a month to make up my mind - you're quite right to think about what lenses you might need, what you want to use the camera for etc as part of the decision making process.

I found Currys a good place to look at cameras if there is one near you - some have them all laid out in row which is useful for comparing.

The D90 also has the top LCD screen - which if you are going into manual and changing settings fast makes life easier.

And yes, that is a decent kit lens, good place to start. I started with that and a second hand 50mm f1.8D (that I bought off someone who had it for a D5000 but it wouldn't autofocus on the D5000 so they were selling it to buy the dearer 50mm).

Last edited:
D90:

Top LCD screen (very very very handy, it's all i use when changing settings) + A LOT better controls + built in AF motor (you save some £££ on buying older/3rd party lenses)

Last edited:
mewstar said:
I'll go to Jessops tomorrow to feel the cameras . The only thing putting me off before I asked on here was I didn't want to go in there not knowing what I want, them baffle me and then buy something not good...

Did you go and have a try out of different makes / manufacturers ?

You'll not go wrong with any body you've been looking at, it all comes down to feel, how the body feels in your hands, how the buttons fall for you, how the menu system works etc etc

I'll probably get 'slagged off' ..... But ...

I bought the D3100, with kit lens, Tamron 70-300mm, Sandisk 8gb xtreme, spare battery for £600.

I REALLY appreciated the help people gave on here, but I was just baffled, info over load. Couldn't decide which way to go...

So stuck with my first choice.
And managed to get all the above for my max that I ideally wanted to pay for just camera + 2 lenses.

Having used a bridge camera and gettin good (limited) results for 4 years this should be a good next step for me.

Thanks everyone

Why should you get slagged off. You bought what you believe is the best for you.

That is what we all do.

Enjoy and look forward to seeing the results.:)

Because most were implying to get D90....
I just couldnt justify over £600 for 4 year old technology , then plus zoom lens, battery & SD card etc., so about £850+....

Again that's others opinions and yours is the only one that counts, as I said nearer the start of the thread.

Take note for the future though, that a camera that took good photos 4 years ago, doesn't stop taking good photos when a newer model is released. It might save you a lot when you want to upgrade in 2 years (you probably will)

GAS - Gear acquisition syndrome is hard to shake.

Anyway welcome to the Dark Side. :)

Thank you ...
:)
I just couldn't stretch the £££....
When £500 was my initial limit

PsiFox said:
Why should you get slagged off. You bought what you believe is the best for you.

That is what we all do.

Enjoy and look forward to seeing the results.:)

Agree with this, what you purchase is your choice, you've asked for help and advice and have taken lots on board.

As long as you're happy with your purchase then that is what matters in the end.

Enjoy it :)

Thanks again everyone who gave advice and opinions. First try with the Nikon will hopefully be Saturday . :)

Its often the case of alancing the cost of a entry level newer model with a body a few steps up but a few years older. You have to go with what suits your needs and budget. The D3100 will be an excellent camera for you to start on and its smaller and lighter as well.

Enjoy your new camera! :D

D3100 is a great choice :) have fun and I look forward to seeing some of your photos.

It might be worth having a look at this kit http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-550d--18-55-is-ii--55-250-is-ii-twin-kit-892-p.asp The camera is outstanding and the 2 lenses included are both highly rated for the cost. I started with a 550D and was so impressed by it that when it came time to upgrade I gave the camera to my wife as it was too good to sell. She got both the lenses too and until I bought her the Sigma 120-400 OS, the 55-250 IS never came off the camera.

It might be worth having a look at this kit http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-eos-550d--18-55-is-ii--55-250-is-ii-twin-kit-892-p.asp The camera is outstanding and the 2 lenses included are both highly rated for the cost. I started with a 550D and was so impressed by it that when it came time to upgrade I gave the camera to my wife as it was too good to sell. She got both the lenses too and until I bought her the Sigma 120-400 OS, the 55-250 IS never came off the camera.

Little bit late there :LOL:

Good luck with the D3100, from reports I've seen it should be an excellent camera for you.

Back