Looking to replace tz60 compact camera with a good quality phone camera, what can you recommend ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

Currently have the Panasonic TZ60 camera which is a compact super zoom.

I am finding 9 times out of time i do not have it with me.

I have my phone with me all the time so looking for a really great camera phone is there anything which will get near the quality? I have heard great thing about the LG G4 and the really old Nokia umia 1020.

I can not spend any more than £300 max.

Quite happy to buiy second hand to so the costs are down.

If i am happy with the phone after a few months i will sell the tz60.

Hope some can help

Thank you

I couldn't recommend a phone cam over that camera. What stops you carrying it with you? Could you find a more compact camera that would take better pics than a phone?

Wallet, phone, keys, glasses case, then my jean pockets are full :(
Do what I did, and buy a Gilet. In the pockets, I can now carry the following, with ease. Fuji X10, iphone, glasses in their glasses case, money and credit card, dog poop bags, odds and ends. All this secreted away nicely, and a pocket or two to spare.

or perhaps a belt loop camera case/holder.
this will allow you to have it with you most of the time, without stuffing your jeans any more!

Not much use as its over budget but I am very satisfied with the camera in my iPhone 6s for a general keep on me phone.

I was also very impressed with the camera on my mate's HTC m8, which you can now get in your budget.

Again, over budget, but I am quite impressed with the Samsung S6 camera, and I only ever used to believe in cameras; I have a Canon 70D and a Canon G7X and the G7X probably gets more use than the 70D. I carry that in a belt loop case when I go out.

My Samsung S4 takes decent pics- and was bought for much the same reason. It also works as well as the day I bought it.
I looked at the Lumias at the time, but although they were considered to have the best camera, they were also the slowest to fire up and get going- limiting their value for candid shots.
TBH the Samsung isn't exactly quick to fire up either- although you can access the camera from the lockscreen which speeds things up. If you're going the android route I'd recommend installing procapture which is certainly better than the Samsung camera app.
No personal experience of the iphone cameras as I'm always put off by their proprietary nonsense- but they have a good rep.

Wallet, phone, keys, glasses case, then my jean pockets are full :(

Why not use a small backpack / sling bag? I have an iPhone 6s which is pretty much up there with phone cams but TBH I don't bother with the camera on it other than for quick snaps for sending / emailing / whatsapp, it's not even nearly as good as my little Sony RX100 mk1 let alone any of my other cameras.

Last edited:
I thoroughly recommend the Samsung Note 4. Brilliant phone and excellent camera. Once you get over the size of the thing you'll never want to go small again!(-:
I see that there's a new one for sale on the forum. At that price I'd snap it up.
In terms of the camera I did a sad comparison with a friend's iPhone 6+ and the Samsung had a better output and better OIS.
The HDR mode is particularly good - here's an example straight out of the phone with just a saturation tweak in LR:
Untitled by david key, on Flickr

Last edited:
Buy some trousers with more pockets,bloody sight cheaper than a new phone,some of my trousers have more pockets than I can count,if I filled them all up though I wouldn't be able to walk.:LOL:
I think the Gilet option would be better, what when he changes his kecks :).

Yeh, that's what I use, carries everything I need day to day,notebook,bank cards, small camera,pens,pencils,etc,I refer to it as my office.Got thick one for winter and a light one for summer.
The missus got me mine as a present, it is light weight but robust. Feels snug to wear, and airy. It is in black and looks like the security military style. It looks good, I probably look like a div from behind though :rolleyes:.

I have an LG G3 and my wife has the G4. Both were well under £300 and both have 13 MP cameras. I have taken some good photos with my G3 when I haven't had my Fuji X cameras with me. Really, I am always amazed at how good the photos are. I aim to take my Fuji XE-2 and 27mm pancake with me when I go walkabout but often forget - so my phone has to have a decent camera too.

I have an LG G3 and my wife has the G4. Both were well under £300 and both have 13 MP cameras. I have taken some good photos with my G3 when I haven't had my Fuji X cameras with me. Really, I am always amazed at how good the photos are. I aim to take my Fuji XE-2 and 27mm pancake with me when I go walkabout but often forget - so my phone has to have a decent camera too.

I too have the G4, optical is, f1.8, RAW, iso 50-2700, 30secs to 1/6000 shutter speed, histogram, exp comp, AE-lock, af/mf blah blah blah and produces some pretty impressive shots. But at the end of the day it's a camera phone, but as far as they go, I think it's excellent.

Back